Think I messed up big time

Default Think I messed up big time

So I put together new hives to set out Spring of 2020
    I got carried away with the painting and painted the insides as well as the outside
    I have them out of doors airing out for the winter. Will I need to remove the paint on the insides or will six months of airing them out make them usable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Think I messed up big time

I heard paint won't hurt on the inside. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/painti...e-of-beehives/
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

It’ll be fine. Back in the days of scrounging and charring used equipment, I painted plenty of insides of boxes. Probably never killed a bee doing it.
    Rod

Theresa, 6 months will be fine. Latex paint?
    If you’re worried, do a little sanding on the inside surfaces.
    My bees propolise the painted surfaces where boxes join. Bare wood just helps their propolis stick better.
    Brian

Thank you everyone, that is a relief

The boxes typically don't kill bees. still there does seem like a lot to worry about!

I would recommend sanding the tops/bottoms of the boxes. When they sit edge-to-edge, the dry/cured paint sticks something awful. It's better to have a non-treated surface on the edges of the boxes - and the bottom board edge, where the box edge will sit.

Oh and remember to paint the edge of the inner cover that will be exposed to the elements. I use my inner cover as an inner lid, then place another deep on that and place feeder jars (I use mason jars, there are 1/2 gallon or gallon buckets out there instead too). Those are placed inside that (empty of bees) top box, and since the inner cover is "sandwiched" between 2 boxes, it is exposed to the elements and worth painting that edge.

But not the edge that the lid and boxes will sit on. sorry if that's confusing!

The more paint the better in the humid east! Especially on the inside along the frame rests and around the corners.

As long as the paint has time to cure, paint as many surfaces as possible!!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Quote Originally Posted by trishbookworm View Post

I would recommend sanding the tops/bottoms of the boxes. When they sit edge-to-edge, the dry/cured paint sticks something awful. It's better to have a non-treated surface on the edges of the boxes - and the bottom board edge, where the box edge will sit.
    I would be inclined to put tape on the edges of the boxes rather than sanding them. I tried sanding paint of the edges of some of my boxes and ended up with gaps that the bees filled with lots of propolis. I would recommend foil or tyvex tape.

The only disadvantage that I have heard of when you paint the inside of the hive (and let it dry for a while) is the wood does not absorb any moisture and help keep the inside of the hive a bit more stable. If you start having mold problems quilt boxes help a lot.