New to bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to bees

Default Re: New to bees

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Hi Mike Welcome to the Forum.
    Keep in mind a couple things and it will help with the initial digestion of all the data in this and other places.

1- If you ask 5 beekeepers how to do something you will likely get 6 or so opinions. All may work for each them, rarely will all work for all of them.

2- Most of Beekeeping is local. folks in Florida may not feed their bees or need to . folks in Canada may need to feed, or have high winter loss. So your better input is from keepers in the relative same climate as you are in. I do what I do because of where I keep. A local club is a good place to get insight on what works locally, and even for local stock.

GG
    One more quick thing, reading your post. it is better to start in the "Spring" new hives befit from as much time as you can give them to prepare for winter. if you are buying bees, many NUC sources or package sources start taking orders in Feb for spring, Some are sold out by April. I would attempt to figure out where you plan to obtain from, and check them out for when you can order and ask when they typically sell out. Also means you likely need your wooden ware during early winter and assemble and paint if you wish it painted late winter.
    Sorry to comment to my own comment.
    GG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I started with eight frame mediums and wouldn't change that due to the reduced weight of the boxes. I have worked with a commercial beek using all deeps and you can easily hurt yourself.

I started foundationless and wouldn't change that as the bees know better than we do. I have no idea what size cells they build. But for a little wonky comb there have been no problems.

I would advise you to start with a thermal treatment system. I added that in my third year and the bees began to really thrive afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by roddo27846 View Post
    I started with eight frame mediums and wouldn't change that due to the reduced weight of the boxes. I have worked with a commercial beek using all deeps and you can easily hurt yourself.

I started foundationless and wouldn't change that as the bees know better than we do. I have no idea what size cells they build. But for a little wonky comb there have been no problems.

I would advise you to start with a thermal treatment system. I added that in my third year and the bees began to really thrive afterwards.
    What thermal system do you use and how long do you leave it on?
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    What thermal system do you use and how long do you leave it on?
    GG
    Mighty Mite Killer.
    beehivethermalindustries.com

The treatment is 2 1/2 hours. Warm-up takes about 20-30 minutes, so about three hours. You have to be there to put it on and then to take it off. The rest of the time you can do something else. I usually mow or go out to lunch. But my bees are happy and thriving. Nine colonies. No losses.
    Call Lynn Williams, the inventor, and he'll lead you through it. (803) 504-9313.

Although it is not on my "to buy" list, both liveoak and robbin use the MMK and have reported excellent results. You can search their posts to find more information.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

There is a Facebook Group and there is an article in the January Edition of the American Bee Journal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by roddo27846 View Post
    Mighty Mite Killer.
    beehivethermalindustries.com

The treatment is 2 1/2 hours. Warm-up takes about 20-30 minutes, so about three hours. You have to be there to put it on and then to take it off. The rest of the time you can do something else. I usually mow or go out to lunch. But my bees are happy and thriving. Nine colonies. No losses.
    Call Lynn Williams, the inventor, and he'll lead you through it. (803) 504-9313.
    Interesting, thanks
    GG

Second the thanks! Had seen mentions of thermal treatment before but had not
    pursued it further because I thought it was still in development. See now it
    is a commercial product that has been on the market for three years.

Other than price, seems like the ideal back up 'treatment' for new beeks who
    aspire to be treatment free. 100% chemical free is more important to me than 100%TF.

Working my way through a bunch of old threads which is answering most of my
    questions. Notice thermal is not listed in the rules of the treatment
    free sub-forum. Over site or just too new? Did find a thread that was moved
    out of that forum so pretty obvious it will be forbidden rather than
    allowed.

Hypothetical question: If you can pull a frame of drone comb and put in a
    freezer, return it (with dead drone brood) to the original hive and still be TF. Could you do the same with thermal treatment? Heat rather than cold and most of the drone brood will still be alive. But absolutely nothing is being put back in the hive that was not already there.

Use of the MMK is considered a treatment, as is drone brood removal, powdered sugar shakes, and even brood breaks. How far down the rabbit hole do you wish to go?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bagwell View Post
    100% chemical free is more important to me than 100%TF.
    Chemical free means using every possible means to control mites while maintaining the purity of the honey and wax you are producing (with a little help from the bees). It is almost a completely different aspect of beekeeping as compared to treatment free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12