My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees

ooops . . . link won't work . . .
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Minnesota Hygenics have been around for quite a few years: If they were indeed head and shoulders above others in regard to mite tolerance or resistance, then I think you would not be getting any grilling. On another forum there is quite a lengthy recent thread with the theme that "extraordinary claims, require extraordinary levels of evidence to substantiate them or create acceptance". That just is as it is.

I have read that some experiments with them showed their cell uncapping to be so vicious that colony growth and honey production was compromised. Producing bees with just the right amount of this tendency to be efficient yet effective was an ongoing balancing act. I expect this has been worked out though.

I haven't seen a whole lot of recent mention of them.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Because my local bee club bought several hundred 3 LB packages from an apiary in Georgia that supplies Italians.
    DUH!!!
    The phrase, "You think" is rude and confrontational.
    I won't reply to any more posts asking me to "explain myself". My bees thrive untreated and yours don't. Sorry for you.
    Oh... so they were packages. Odd that you called them swarms... DUH!!!

How do you know my bees don't thrive untreated? Or anyone else's on here for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Oh... so they were packages. Odd that you called them swarms... DUH!!!
    How do you know my bees don't thrive untreated? Or anyone else's on here for that matter...
    Oh my goodness. The spelling and grammar corrector is here. You think I used an incorrect term?
    They were packages when I bought them. Once they made it to winter they were swarms. When I started this thread they were dead swarms.

You are a very rude and confrontational troll. I will have no further contact with you. I have been told there are people like you on this board.
    I started this thread to share experiences with other people that have MH bees. If you have no MH bees then go to another thread to troll.

I just read some of your posts. It seems that you are trolling everywhere. You had nothing intelligent to say to anyone, just complaints and cut downs.
    You are an expert at nothing but trolling.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 03-01-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typos

"At least I don't have hive beetle."
    Do not get as relaxed as I did. Not one for a couple of years, slimed to hell one summer. I blame it on nearby package bees and I need absolutely no proof; so there.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    "At least I don't have hive beetle."
    Do not get as relaxed as I did. Not one for a couple of years, slimed to hell one summer. I blame it on nearby package bees and I need absolutely no proof; so there.
    Interesting that you can suffer from SHB in state with Winters as nasty as what Maine gets
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    You know that you are posting on Beessource don't you? Here you must prove everything to the satisfaction of the provocateurs that haunt these forums.
    Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed from "Treatment free at all costs - the chronicle of a beekeeper from South Germany"

to something like "Treatment free perhaps - the chronicle of a beekeeper from South Germany transitioning to treatments"
    So you think this comment of yours is no provocation? IPM to be used as a strategy in a difficult situation where bond canīt be done is another reasonable path to have a second surviving bee yard and stock the tf bee yard with bees which need no treatments.
    Bet you did not read my thread before commenting.

They usually do not overwinter, they can though.
    Fresh batch of beetles are shipped in every year with packages. My bad, thinking I was safe.

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Oh my goodness. The spelling and grammar corrector is here. You think I used an incorrect term?
    They were packages when I bought them. Once they made it to winter they were swarms. When I started this thread they were dead swarms.

You are a very rude and confrontational troll. I will have no further contact with you. I have been told there are people like you on this board.
    I started this thread to share experiences with other people that have MH bees. If you have no MH bees then go to another thread to troll.

I just read some of your posts. It seems that you are trolling everywhere. You had nothing intelligent to say to anyone, just complaints and cut downs.
    I'm sorry, I figured that someone who is supposed to have been keeping bees since 1967 would 1) Know the difference between a package and a swarm. 2) Wouldn't call a colony a swarm. 3) Wouldn't still be buying packages if they were capable of learning anything about bees and beekeeping.

One of my checklist items for first year beekeepers is to never take advice from someone who has been keeping bees for more than 2-3 years if they are still buying packages (or swarms or whatever you 50 year beekeepers call them). But, you know, some of us are really REALLY slow learners.

If I'm a rude and confrontational troll that makes you a willing, rude, and confrontational victim.

nah, he not even a good troll. toughen up buttercup.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Minnesota Hygenics have been around for quite a few years: If they were indeed head and shoulders above others in regard to mite tolerance or resistance, then I think you would not be getting any grilling. On another forum there is quite a lengthy recent thread with the theme that "extraordinary claims, require extraordinary levels of evidence to substantiate them or create acceptance". That just is as it is.

I have read that some experiments with them showed their cell uncapping to be so vicious that colony growth and honey production was compromised. Producing bees with just the right amount of this tendency to be efficient yet effective was an ongoing balancing act. I expect this has been worked out though.

I haven't seen a whole lot of recent mention of them.
    I utilized inseminated Minn Hygenic breeders for a couple of seasons but it was years back. I had very solid luck with the first generation daughters mated to a wide mix of canadian buckfast, smr and other survivor type drones. For comparison purposes, I'd categorize them as a northern type italian bee. At least at that point in time they leaned much more that direction than say carnica which isnt really surprising when you understand that she pulled a large part of that genetic material from migratory commercial operations that happened to be based out of Minnesota.

Definately a nice overall bee, strong spring build up if needed for pollination, good honey production, good wintering ability but needing slightly more stores than I prefer and solid hygenic behavior. I dont recall anyone ever saying they were highly mite resistant at least back then. From what I saw the daughters mated to strong mite tolerant stock were able to carry helpful amounts of resistance but nothing to extent of pure survivor stock from which vsh was developed yet they held the desirable commercial characteristics which smr/vsh in pure form did not. Basically you would see a daughter colony that could make one-two years untreated pretty easily but not some magic bullet against varroa.

Perhaps others have worked with them in the years since then and more resistance has been incorporated. I'd suspect she pulled the one line that was submitted for incorporation into vsh from the minnesota hygenic pool but I could be wrong.

Cyberman and Buzzkill we realize it is your superior beekeeping skills and experience that allows you guys to keep your bees alive while the rest of us idiot beehavers fail so it is really an affront to your egos if we ask stupid questions as to how you have managed to do this where thousands of idiots like us and perhaps Randy Oliver have failed.
    Johno

BigBlackBirds,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with MH bees. Many are finding the MH bees to be a very solid strain. They are hard to find now and Glen Apiaries has stopped selling them. I have studied about the buckfast and read in another thread on this site about a strain bred with ferals that is very resilient. He called them Buckfast Wild.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=buckfast+wild
    Last edited by Cyberman; 03-01-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typos

BBB
    +1 vote for keeping to the subject.

I havent kept up with what is widely available out there in recent years. With Glenn's out of the picture the best bet for looking at Minnesota Hygenic stock might be to directly contact Marla Spivak and see if she is still maintaining it and where mated or inseminated stock might be available. She was very helpful in years past when I contacted her.

I suspect most folks who are actively testing various bees have moved towards vsh, ankle biter, Saskatraz types while Minn Hygenic might be falling off the radar

Wow, im reading post and enjoy the back and forth of issues. I'm curious about all bees, and this thread is part of my learning. I'm New, and new to bee source. I see some that are downright rude , and I don't understand why.?? Aren't we all in this to promote our hobby, or business of keeping bees , alive and healthy. No matter how ya do it??? But love to learn more about the mn bees ...

Let's all just hug, the bs is easier to take that way.

The only thing special about the Minnesota hygienic is they are good at cleaning. I suspect that you have the right mix of vsh in those Hygenic bees that make them so good for you now go buy a lottery ticket.

I agree it is much more productive and insightful to converse back and forth without pointed comments that are bound to rile people up (on either side of the argument). Obviously it is hard to gauge the tone of some comments via the internet, but it is so much nicer when people comment with helpful information instead of accusatory comments and mean spirited sarcasm. I have learned so much on here and I know there are some long time beekeepers who have a vast knowledge that probably get sick of some of the comments from some of the newer beekeepers (with myself being one of the newer ones), but I really appreciate the help and kindness that most people on here show...you just have to ignore some of the seemingly harsh comments and I just kind of shrug them off as somebody having a bad day...lol. Overall I think the MH stock seem to be not talked about too much on here so I am always interested in learning more and hearing experiences.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast