My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees

I started this thread on 01-13-2018, asking for members to reply with their experiences with Minnesota Hybrids.

Update:
    I have 6 hives now, all from the same stock. I have never treated these bees for mites. Today I saw one of my bees dragging a light yellowish pupa out of the hive. It seems they are still doing their job quite well.

Does anyone else have experiences with Minnesota Hybrids they would like to share?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Don't have any but they are popular in different parts of Missouri and hear they do well. Couple big nuc suppliers here use them.

If you're tired of battling varroa, the first step in getting the upper hand on the mite is to forswear the coddling of wimpy bees with synthetic chemicals.

So you agree that treating bees with naturally occuring chemicals, such as oxalic acid, formic acid, thymol, etc. is ok? Good thing because at first it sounded like you were suggesting the best way to stop battling varroa was to let your bees die.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    So you agree that treating bees with naturally occuring chemicals, such as oxalic acid, formic acid, thymol, etc. is ok? Good thing because at first it sounded like you were suggesting the best way to stop battling varroa was to let your bees die.
    The word "forswear" means "agree to give up or do without (something)".
    Basically I said, "Stop" the coddling of wimpy bees with synthetic chemicals. The whole object should be to breed bees that can exist without us. Not keep making our bees weaker and weaker using more and more chemicals. Many are making the mites more resistant each year rather than the bees.
    I haven't treated my bees for mites in several years. Most of my hives haven't been treated at all, ever.

My worst threat is still SHBs, but I'm still fighting those with beetle jails, filled with mineral oil, using apple cider vinegar (as beetle bait).

If you do have a weaker variety of bees then you must treat them or lose them. That is a choice each beekeeper made when they chose their strain.

But this thread is about Minnesota Hygienic bees.

I keep hearing, "MH bees don't produce as good as Italians." Wrong. I'm not just giving an opinion here.
    One of my stronger hives swarmed a month ago into my swarm trap. It has filled 2 deep supers with drawn comb and the top super is almost full of honey right now. They are also dragging an occasional pupa out the entrance so they are still doing their job and filling hives with honey quickly.
    Because I only have MH bees and no other bees in my neighborhood, when they requeen its pretty reasonable to believe they are maintaining all their traits.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 05-04-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Typos

Cyberman, I know the meaning of forswear. I also know the meaning of synthetic. The point I was trying to make is that even strains of bees that show enhanced resistance to varroa like the Minnesota Hygienic, may need a helping hand once in a while and that it is possible to provide that relief without using amitraz, a synthetic chemical. I am pleased for you that you are TF and have been for some time. I am hoping to get a few Perdue Ankle Biters next year and give them a try. But it will be in an apiary that is otherwise treated so I hope to avoid mite bombing them in the fall.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Sorry, I misunderstood your reply.
    I have heard a lot of good things about Perdue Ankle Biters. I hope you update us on how they work out for you.
    I am also hearing a lot about an apiary that has bred their own strain of Ankle Biters, through years of test breeding.
    They seem to have a pretty good program.
    Check out:
    Carpenters Apiaries/Better Bees CCD/Mite Resistant Queens

Here is a good read if you like the scientific methods.
    Choosing your Troops: Breeding Mite-Fighting Bees
    Last edited by Cyberman; 05-04-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added another link

Hey guys I am having a problem with my bees, just cannot seem to reach my goals no matter how hard I work at it. Maybe if I stop working on my bees and stop molly coddling them as you say I could get closer to meeting my goals. My goal for the last 3 years is to get my hive count to 25 hives, the problem I have is that I am at 36 at the moment but to make matters even worse I have 44 nucleus hives I produced due to swarm prevention and my 36 colonies are still producing brood and bees right up the yazoo and I do not have any nuc boxes left. Maybe I will have to grow some more nucs in buckets. Now my honey crop I can handle and dispose of it through the year but what am I to do with all those bees. Maybe I should take the advice on this thread and leave them to take care of their own problems and I might be able to get my colony count down to reasonable levels. I realize i have been doing things all wrong but what to do! what to do.

What strain of bees are they? Italians?
    Nucs are selling for a pretty good price right now on craigs list, if you wanted to reduce that way.
    If they're producing bees like crazy put more honey boxes on them until the honey flow is finished.

Is there a reason for not making the nucs into full hives?
    I would put some of the nucs into 8 frame hives until you reach the number of hives you want and sell the remaining nucs.
    You can get cardboard nuc boxes for like $9 each. This will pay your beekeeping costs, for new 8 frame boxes etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 05-04-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typos

Written 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I don't really have a lot of time to spend on my bees. Because of this I have lost several of Italian hives.
    I got a hive of Minnesota Hygienic from a friend. They are just slightly more aggressive than Italians, but its barely noticeable.
    However they are so tough. I split my Minnesota Hygienic hive so I have 2 now. My 2 Italian hives died off, one just disappeared and the other died off(maybe froze).
    I still have the 2 Minnesota Hygienic hives and they are going strong. I really like them and will probably go 100% Minnesota Hygienic from now on.
    I have checked them with a white board and don't see any mites. I haven't treated them in 2 years and they are fine. They grow strong in the spring very quickly.
    I started this thread to see if anyone else had experiences with MH bees to share. I didn't start it to prove anything to anyone. I'm not selling anything. LOL
    I was just writing of my experiences and hoped to see others with MH bees comment here about there experiences. Apparently nobody here has MH bees. Try them if you don't have time to treat and treat and treat. Good luck all.
    My bees are thriving. The hives are roaring with health and have had no treatment except for oil filled beetle baffles and feeding (over 2 years). I don't use pollen patties because they are hive beetle farms. I use a teaspon and spread a thick layer of pollen powder on top of all the frames (top box). They devour it.
    As I mentioned earlier I bought my bees from a 90 year old beekeeper who couldn't do it anymore. He kept his bees in several different fields. Its possible that my bees are not 100% MH. In any event they are treatment free for 3 years and thriving with health and vigor.
    Written 2019:

I started this thread on 01-13-2018, asking for members to reply with their experiences with Minnesota Hybrids.

Update:
    I have 6 hives now, all from the same stock. I have never treated these bees for mites. Today I saw one of my bees dragging a light yellowish pupa out of the hive. It seems they are still doing their job quite well.

Does anyone else have experiences with Minnesota Hybrids they would like to share?

I haven't treated my bees for mites in several years. Most of my hives haven't been treated at all, ever.

Because I only have MH bees and no other bees in my neighborhood, when they requeen its pretty reasonable to believe they are maintaining all their traits.

In one post 2018 they are TF for 2 years , in another post from the same year they are TF for 3 years.
    Bought from an 90 year old beekeeper, possibly something else than Minnesota Hygienic.

Originally one MH hive, split 2017 ?
    Season 2018 began with 2 MH hives, one original, one nuc made from that.
    From these two, 4 nucs were made 2018, 2 from each?, anyhow now all together 6 MH hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Written 2018

In one post 2018 they are TF for 2 years , in another post from the same year they are TF for 3 years.
    Bought from an 90 year old beekeeper, possibly something else than Minnesota Hygienic.

Originally one MH hive, split 2017 ?
    Season 2018 began with 2 MH hives, one original, one nuc made from that.
    From these two, 4 nucs were made 2018, 2 from each?, anyhow now all together 6 MH hives.
    In one post I said "(over 2 years)" and in another I said 3 years.
    3 years is over 2 years. Not sure the issue you have. Would you like to correct my grammar too? Did I miss spell anything?
    Maybe your English translator shows something different.

Not sure why you would say, "Bought from an 90 year old beekeeper, possibly something else than Minnesota Hygienic" <-- Your words, not mine..

That 90 year old guy is is a certified master beekeeper and one of the teachers in our York County Beekeepers Association.
    All he had in his bee yard was MH bees.
    I don't like being called a liar. Especially on things that could have been typos.
    People like you cause members to avoid this forum and go to others. You should be ashamed.

It seems you're selling Buckfast on your website and view MH bees as competition I guess. http://www.buckfast.fi/

Do you have anything constructive to add or just complaints and grammar corrections?
    Last edited by Cyberman; 05-05-2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hey guys I am having a problem with my bees, just cannot seem to reach my goals no matter how hard I work at it. Maybe if I stop working on my bees and stop molly coddling them as you say I could get closer to meeting my goals. My goal for the last 3 years is to get my hive count to 25 hives, the problem I have is that I am at 36 at the moment but to make matters even worse I have 44 nucleus hives I produced due to swarm prevention and my 36 colonies are still producing brood and bees right up the yazoo and I do not have any nuc boxes left. Maybe I will have to grow some more nucs in buckets. Now my honey crop I can handle and dispose of it through the year but what am I to do with all those bees. Maybe I should take the advice on this thread and leave them to take care of their own problems and I might be able to get my colony count down to reasonable levels. I realize i have been doing things all wrong but what to do! what to do.
    Good problem to have, eh Johno.

I used Snelgrove boards this year. When the bees made Queens in the top box I split the Old Queens out of the bottom box. It is working so far.

There are so many bees foraging that when I go outside I panic thinking they are swarming. Also when the Drones leave and return it gets loud, but they make a different sound.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

In one post I said "(over 2 years)" and in another I said 3 years.
    3 years is over 2 years. Not sure the issue you have. Would you like to correct my grammar too? Did I miss spell anything?
    Maybe your English translator shows something different.
    I was referring to these words of yours "in 2 years":
    I have checked them with a white board and don't see any mites. I haven't treated them in 2 years and they are fine. They grow strong in the spring very quickly.
    I donīt use language translators.

Not sure why you would say, "Bought from an 90 year old beekeeper, possibly something else than Minnesota Hygienic" <-- Your words, not mine..

Your words to the same thing were:

He kept his bees in several different fields. Its possible that my bees are not 100% MH.

not that much different, eh:

Do you have anything constructive to add or just complaints and grammar corrections?
    After this outburst?

I don't like being called a liar. Especially on things that could have been typos.
    People like you cause members to avoid this forum and go to others. You should be ashamed.
    No, I have no further comments but good luck.

EDIT:
    Making nucs helps the bees to some extent. How much, that would be interesting subject for studies.
    Last edited by Juhani Lunden; 05-05-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234