My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees

I don't really have a lot of time to spend on my bees. Because of this I have lost several of Italian hives.
    I got a hive of Minnesota Hygienic from a friend. They are just slightly more aggressive than Italians, but its barely noticeable.
    However they are so tough. I split my Minnesota Hygienic hive so I have 2 now. My 2 Italian hives died off, one just disappeared and the other died off(maybe froze).
    I still have the 2 Minnesota Hygienic hives and they are going strong. I really like them and will probably go 100% Minnesota Hygienic from now on.
    They corral any hive beetles and keep them in a corner.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 01-13-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typos

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees

I don't have to worry about hive beetles but mites yikes. Did you do any mite washes to see how they handled them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    I don't have to worry about hive beetles but mites yikes. Did you do any mite washes to see how they handled them?
    I have checked them with a white board and don't see any mites. I haven't treated them in 2 years and they are fine. They grow strong in the spring very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I have checked them with a white board and don't see any mites. I haven't treated them in 2 years and they are fine. They grow strong in the spring very quickly.
    Out of sheer curiosity, who was the breeder?

Statements like this make me concerned when it comes to new beekeepers reading and following it without more background info.

Somehow I suspect this will not end well. I hope I am wrong.

Update:
    Another spring is starting. Here in SC the flowers are blooming. I have checked my MH hives with a white board and don't see any mites. They have half a dozen hive beetles corralled in a corner. My MH bees are strong. I split my original MH hive last summer, the 2nd is doing well also.
    I started 2 Italian swarms last spring, neither made it through the winter.
    It would be nice to see others post of their experiences with the MH bees, but all I'm seeing is doubting Thomas responses, people with no experience raising MH bees making skeptical comments.
    In summation, they are doing great without anything other than occasional feeding. I don't use pollen patties because hive beetles lay eggs in them. Instead I use a teaspoon and sprinkle dry pollen power on top of the frames. This has cut down on the hive beetles.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 02-28-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Typos

I still want to see a mite wash or at least a sugar roll. Up here in the north woods I have two months of cold weather before we get spring flowers our long winter makes mite control very important. At least I don't have hive beetle.

I started this thread to see if anyone else had experiences with MH bees to share. I didn't start it to prove anything to anyone. I'm not selling anything. LOL
    I was just writing of my experiences and hoped to see others with MH bees comment here about there experiences. Apparently nobody here has MH bees. Try them if you don't have time to treat and treat and treat. Good luck all.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 02-28-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typos

Cyberman,

Thanks for posting this. I've contracted for two MH nucs this spring to see how they do in my locale.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    Cyberman,

Thanks for posting this. I've contracted for two MH nucs this spring to see how they do in my locale.
    Send me a PM. I have some good sources, especially for instrumentally inseminated MH queens.
    I am in South Carolina. We have everything here that kills bees. I have had excellent luck with MH bees. 3 years in a row I had Italians die off. But The MH bees have thrived. Take care and good luck.

I'm glad you found bees that work for you I've not found any that can do it in my cold long winter I still have to treat if I want them to live till spring.

I grew up in the upstate New York farm country so I know the feeling. My dad and grandfather always had bees but back then there were no mites.

Cyberman, sending you a PM about your MH source.
    Andy

I started this thread to see if anyone else had experiences with MH bees to share. I didn't start it to prove anything to anyone. I'm not selling anything. LOL
    I was just writing of my experiences and hoped to see others with MH bees comment here about there experiences. Apparently nobody here has MH bees. Try them if you don't have time to treat and treat and treat. Good luck all.
    Please close this thread. Thanks.
    You know that you are posting on Beessource don't you? Here you must prove everything to the satisfaction of the provocateurs that haunt these forums.

Cyberman - people are interested in the details of how your MH bees are doing. I don' see anything wrong with that.

And, you post to ask for information from others, but, you won't provide information yourself. The forum works because it is a two-way street . . .

JMHO
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Cyberman - people are interested in the details of how your MH bees are doing.
    JMHO
    I appreciate your opinion, every person has one.
    In answer to your inquery:
    My bees are thriving. The hives are roaring with health and have had no treatment except for oil filled beetle baffles and feeding (over 2 years). I don't use pollen patties because they are hive beetle farms. I use a teaspon and spread a thick layer of pollen powder on top of all the frames (top box). They devour it.
    As I mentioned earlier I bought my bees from a 90 year old beekeeper who couldn't do it anymore. He kept his bees in several different fields. Its possible that my bees are not 100% MH. In any event they are treatment free for 3 years and thriving with health and vigor.
    Another guy posted in the TF area about a buckfast and feral cross that was TF for years.
    Yes, there are treatment free bees out there. Other people here have them too. Enough said.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 03-01-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typos

Its possible that my bees are not 100% MH.
    You think?

Further, how did you know the two swarms were "Italian"?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Further, how did you know the two swarms were "Italian"?
    Because my local bee club bought several hundred 3 LB packages from an apiary in Georgia that supplies Italians.
    DUH!!!
    The phrase, "You think" is rude and confrontational.
    I won't reply to any more posts asking me to "explain myself". My bees thrive untreated and yours don't. Sorry for you.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 03-01-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    You know that you are posting on Beessource don't you? Here you must prove everything to the satisfaction of the provocateurs that haunt these forums.
    Yes, I am beginning to notice that. Its really too bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast