My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: My experience with Minnesota Hygienic bees

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    better to be a realist.
    Optimists got us to the moon. Realists said it couldn't be done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Here is the major, major difference:

* moon project - one-time giant PR project funded by the government where no cost was too large (it was very, very important politically to "beat the Russians")
    * did they create a sustainable and long-term moon-bound infrastructure still used today?
    * NO.
    * what was the point again? well - to beat the Russians at any cost
    * the outcomes that can be just thrown away (the knowledge and experience and bragging points, of course, retained for the future)

* bee project - we are talking of long-term and sustainable bees where no one is no longer concerned of the mites as if they do not exist
    * no PR, no "Russians to beat", no unlimited funding

In short - a short-term, unsustainable PR stint with unlimited funding vs. long-term and sustainable resolution with NO funding and NO massive PR promotion.

Everyone knows I am firmly in TF camp, all this being said.
    But the things must be long-term sustainable.

As we very recently have been discussing in the TF sub-forum - T. Selley said it - the most recent iterations of the natural selection already produced bees just as good and better of those artificially selected bees (no sexy marketing names are assigned to those feral mutts, so to sell them - the only difference).
    These MH bees are one such artificially created bee that is not long-term sustainable resolution (unless you are able to created a self-sustaining local population around the MH bees - if you have done it then just say so).
    Last edited by GregV; 08-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Begging to differ, optimists said shoot for the moon, pessimists said it couldn't be done, realists figured out how to do it.
    In the TF bee world, the optimists are the ones that buy package bees and don't treat, hoping that their bees will survive. The pessimists are the ones that treat regardless. The realists are the ones actually doing it and are helping to build a better bee. I wish the TF beeks every success.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    * The optimists are the ones that buy package bees and don't treat, hoping that their bees will survive.
    * The pessimists are the ones that treat regardless.
    * The realists are the ones actually doing it and are helping to build a better bee..
    A very good classification, JWP.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I do not have any MH but I have hear two different stories. They are too good and make hive growth difficult or not good enough. I am still undecided about getting some.

I purchased a few Buckfast queens from Ferguson's in Canada 3 years ago. They have been heavily selected for hygienic behavior using freeze killed brood and/or pin killed brood methods. One of the 4 queens I purchased turned out to have decent hygienic traits but not sufficient to fully protect against varroa and hive beetles. I raised queens from her and have one daughter and several granddaughters mated to drones from my highly varroa resistant queens. They are productive and gentle and excellent honey producers. My point is simple, selection for hygienic behavior as the Minnesota Hygienics have been is not quite enough to keep varroa under control, at least, in my climate. They might work better further north with a longer brood free winter period.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by nhoyt View Post
    I do not have any MH but I have hear two different stories. They are too good and make hive growth difficult or not good enough. I am still undecided about getting some.
    Good luck, because suppliers of MH queens and bees are very hard to find.

My hope is that anyone with good sources for MH queens and bees would post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    I purchased a few Buckfast queens from Ferguson's in Canada 3 years ago. They have been heavily selected for hygienic behavior using freeze killed brood and/or pin killed brood methods. One of the 4 queens I purchased turned out to have decent hygienic traits but not sufficient to fully protect against varroa and hive beetles. I raised queens from her and have one daughter and several granddaughters mated to drones from my highly varroa resistant queens. They are productive and gentle and excellent honey producers. My point is simple, selection for hygienic behavior as the Minnesota Hygienics have been is not quite enough to keep varroa under control, at least, in my climate. They might work better further north with a longer brood free winter period.
    Curious about this...

Your location reads as Alabama, but you can order bees from Canada to the US now??? I thought you couldn't do that?

I hope its changed...

I agree with this point, too. Let's not make it personal. That has little to do with observation, data, and results.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post

having success against varroa mites off treatments is more the exception than the rule and our readers are more interested in factual accounts than spitting contests.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

The one fact I have heard about getting a particular strain of bees. Really really hard to keep the line pure, due to how bees mate and reproduce. You would have to constantly requeen, unless your bees were completely isolated from feral bees or other beekeepers.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Your location reads as Alabama, but you can order bees from Canada to the US now??? I thought you couldn't do that?
    http://fergusonapiaries.on.ca/queens...ng-and-pricing

The veterinary import license cost $100 so they are relatively expensive.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    http://fergusonapiaries.on.ca/queens...ng-and-pricing

The veterinary import license cost $100 so they are relatively expensive.
    So does that mean you can import queens only or also full NUCs also? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    The one fact I have heard about getting a particular strain of bees. Really really hard to keep the line pure, due to how bees mate and reproduce. You would have to constantly requeen, unless your bees were completely isolated from feral bees or other beekeepers.
    Feral bees are not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone has been looking for that special feral swarm that has survived naturally for 10 years. LOL
    They might be the most valuable swarm you could cross with.

Feral bees are not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone has been looking for that special feral swarm that has survived naturally for 10 years. LOL
    They might be the most valuable swarm you could cross with.
    Theres a guy here that has some living in his porch post for last 20 years, I don't know how I'd get them out.

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...956780186.html
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y..._as=subscriber

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345