Building a Cabin at My Outyard - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Building a Cabin at My Outyard

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    beearthur
    You mention cost differrences. I would be interested in hearing about your experiance on this.
    Cheers
    gww
    GWW,

For the last video in this series, I plan to do a complete cost breakdown. The build's still underway, so the numbers are still changing (i.e. increasing). Hopefully we finish up in the next couple months and I can get those numbers tallied.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I know videos are a pain to shoot and edit but I am interested in the cost breakdown also.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I know videos are a pain to shoot and edit but I am interested in the cost breakdown also.
    Yes they are. No doubt about it. Especially if you're like me and 1) don't like the sound of your own voice, and 2) don't feel comfortable speaking directly into the camera. But I'm gonna keep up with the updates, and I'll for sure do the end-of-build price breakdown.

Bee A....
    Plus you indidcated that some of the cost were differrent then what was origionally planned. I really think it is interesting on things that can be missed or added things not tought of that make it better and just general missjudgements. I don't plan on building anything soon but am always happy to gain insite incase I can help someone with the knowlage. I remember when dad had a house built on a lake that had a full length second story deck that he had not noticed on the plan that it didn't have steps coming to the ground. This was noticed while building. It always seems like something is misjudged.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Bee A....
    Plus you indidcated that some of the cost were differrent then what was origionally planned. I really think it is interesting on things that can be missed or added things not tought of that make it better and just general missjudgements. I don't plan on building anything soon but am always happy to gain insite incase I can help someone with the knowlage. I remember when dad had a house built on a lake that had a full length second story deck that he had not noticed on the plan that it didn't have steps coming to the ground. This was noticed while building. It always seems like something is misjudged.
    Cheers
    gww
    Very true. We didn't even have a deck in the budget...I was originally just planning to do a small porch, but ended up doing a full-width deck instead. I'm glad I did it, but it added thousands to the cost.

We finally got the slab poured a couple days ago. I thought it would never happen. Plus a little bit of bee footage at the end.

You and your family) will forever enjoy these videos many moons from now. I’m enjoying them now.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    You and your family) will forever enjoy these videos many moons from now. I’m enjoying them now.
    Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. That's my exact motivation for documenting this. If someone else can get anything from it, that's icing on the cake. But (hopefully) we'll be able to look back on these in 20-30 years and get nostalgic.

man, if they haven't poured the cement, don't let them use a catalyst to harden the cement, that will cause your floor to chip are break under normal wear tear in 3-4yrscreating huge divets and pockets in the floor, even after carpeted.
    just don't let them use a catalyst in your cement.

Quote Originally Posted by MimbresBees View Post
    man, if they haven't poured the cement, don't let them use a catalyst to harden the cement, that will cause your floor to chip are break under normal wear tear in 3-4yrscreating huge divets and pockets in the floor, even after carpeted.
    just don't let them use a catalyst in your cement.
    We waited for a warm-ish few days to pour. I'll have ask if they used a catalyst or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    Great advice, thank you.
    Totally agree with that advice. Exactly what I did. I put the largest size tank that I could fit inside the well house. In your case, I am thinking you will put your tank in your basement. Get the biggest tank you can fit or afford. It will let the pump run in longer cycles and not run as much on and off as with a smaller tank. Plus you will be glad you have a large pressure tank in the event of a power outage.

I saw your latest video. VERY sorry to see that you are having so much trouble with inspections and poor performing contractors. Hope you are able to get things worked out with the stair case and windows. That really sucks and seems to be pretty petty in my opinion, especially since the county approved the plans you are going by. Hope they will cut you some slack or grant an exception to policy.

In between work and bees - I also drill water wells and live oak is giving good advise. You can have a low output well and do well with a large tank. On wells that give 5 gallons per minute I have installed 2 X 84 gallon tanks so the washing machine and a shower can go on at the same time. Also make sure they put in 4 inch casing to the water line. this gives you 2 options - a 4 inch pump in the well that you can buy at tractor supply or you can run 2 inch pipe inside the 4 inch pipe and install a surface pump. Also cycles on a pump is what kills them - the more storage - the less cycles. Look at it this way - a starter in your car/a bic lighter is only good for so many starts/flames.
    my 2 cents

Very Nice!!!

Dropped back to a half horse from 1 at last pump change. Big difference was going to 60 gal tank. At least $5 to 10 a month drop in electric. (38x12) x 5 = Should have done it long ago.
    Not a fan of shallows, lot of juice goes to the suction side. Nice to change out though.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Here are the latest couple videos I've done. The first one is about failing some critical inspections. The next one, aptly, is about passing them (sorry for the spoiler).

Glad you passed inspection Bub

Looks like your number of headaches is decreasing lol
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Glad to see things are pulling together and working out. Stress sucks! You have a real nice place there. Can't wait to see what the pond looks like when it fills up. With all of the rain we have been having it should be soon if not already.

Thanks, guys. Pond is probably about 1/2 full at this point. I spent the afternoon putting ryegrass seed around it since the soil is finally getting some moisture. While I was at the seed store, I also got 150lbs of buckwheat and 15lbs of clover seeds for the bees. But that won't stop them from stinging me, I guarantee.

Getting closer to it being a livable home, though it seems like there are always a thousand more things to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast