Question about pollon patties

Default Question about pollon patties

I have several hives that were attacked by some animal, probably a skunk or raccoon. The animal was big enough to get the top off my top bar hives, open them up, and eat a lot of bees, honey, and comb, but small enough to get into the hive because there's poop in it. Anyway, only one is dead, but I have two or three that are damaged, but there are still bees in it. When i found them, it was too cold to open it and look, so I closed them up right before this cold snap in Texas. I'm going to go check them today since it's warmed up, but I was thinking about putting sugar syrup, sugar cakes and/or pollen patties in there to help them along since probably most of their stores are gone. I have some pollen patty substitute that I was given from a beekeeper who was getting out of beekeeping that I've never used. It has been in my refrigerator for about six months. Also, I have some Pro Sweet Liquid Feed from the same person that's been in my garage for about six months. Does anyone have an opinion about whether these things are still good after that long and ok to give to the bees?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question about pollon patties

Can't say about the liquid feed but my opinion is that the pollen sub will be fine. This is going on later this month.

20180106_121240.jpg

It is a little more than 6 months old.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

When is doubt, best to call supplier/manufacturer and ask directly.

Open it up and see if the pollen sub is moldy and see if the Pro Sweet is fermented.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

I have not had Prosweet go bad other than a bit of granulation on the bottom. And that of course was easily liquefied.

Both products look great, no mold or fermenting. I put some pollen substitute in a pan with plain sugar for now. I'll go ahead and use the Pro Sweet when it warms up a little. Thanks everyone!

I've kept pollen patties in the frig for well over a year and the bees still take it when supplied.