Slatted Shim? Anyone use one? Anyone sell such a thing?

Default Slatted Shim? Anyone use one? Anyone sell such a thing?

I was cleaning off some burr comb in the space created by my use of an Imirie shim, and I had this idea:

It's just an Imirie shim with removable slats on the same spacing as the frames above/below it.

Would anyone find such a thing useful? My thinking:
    1. Just like an Imirie shim, but you can leave the slats in place to prevent burr comb
    2. Remove selected slats to make room for a pollen patty
    3. Or a queen cage
    4. Or a MAQS packet
    5. Or whatever

It seems like it might be expensive to fabricate, but would it be useful?
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Slatted Shim? Anyone use one? Anyone sell such a thing?

I am not sure that will stop burr comb. Once it has been in the hive for a short time the slats will be propilized in place. I have modified the Honey Run Apiary ventilated inner cover with a slatted bottom on some hives. I have a friend that is starting to market some similar inner covers that can be insulated with sawdust. Initial temps this winter have been about 10+ degrees warmer. I can't remember his website.

Tom

I believe the device Tom is referring to may be found here: https://thehivetopper.com/

As I understand it the box is tightly packed with pine shavings.
    The more I know, the less I knew.

Pretty sure a slatted shim like that would not help the problem with burr comb, in fact, it probably would make it much worse when using it between honey supers, which is what it was designed for. I think gadgets like the shim are a waste to begin with, just another piece of equipment that you either make yourself or buy which doesn't contribute any benefit to production of the hive, I think it only makes the beekeeper feel like they are helping the bees out. JMO.

The slatted rack is used on the bottom of the hive bodies to control air flow and reduce congestion during peak months. I have never seen the slatted rack design used on the top of the hives. Slatted racks can be purchased from most of the beekeeping suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Pretty sure a slatted shim like that would not help the problem with burr comb, in fact, it probably would make it much worse when using it between honey supers, which is what it was designed for.
    I'm curious as to why.

Why wouldn't this:

accumulate less burr comb than this?

since there's so much less empty space?
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

I didn't know any better last year and made screened inner covers (1 1/2" shims), with screen side up, so there was plenty of empty space above the top frames.
    Based on what i read there should have been lots of burr comb built in that space. I can't recall any all year.
    Was this because they were spring nucs and i missed possibly the best part of of our flow?

They worked out so well i ditched all the solid inner covers and used these instead. Had a screened hole on one end for ventilation and seemed to work well.
    Just trying to follow along and ask a semi related question...

I think your slatted shim is an excellent idea and volunteer to test several for you. Send me two ten frame wide and two eight frame wide. How are you going to make those little indented cuts for the cross piece slots? And I wonder if they might act as a queen excluder or honey excluder and cause swarming? I will file a complete report on my findings after testing the ones you send me for the summer. I will pay for freight.