pulling honey ideas looking for feed back - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: pulling honey ideas looking for feed back

Or a lot of fun during a sunny late summer pull. ROBBING

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I love hearing all the different methods. like Ian reminded I plan on 300 hives this year and a final goal of 1000 to 1500, on my hives this last summer I was at 7 supers on a couple the majority had 5 and 7 hives where at 4 or less. there is a very strong nectar source here.

besides all the time involved with shaking frames on that many supers all the wild comb packed with honey gets busted on you have it dripping every where you dont want want it, yea the bees will find it so it wont go to waste but I would rather have it in my tank.

The drawback I see with the lift is where the hook goes over the top of the load center isnt high enough to clear a large stack, an easy modification could make that adjust if it isnt able to already.

dont get me wrong on the bee go, it does work if the weather is warm but you still handle every box and have to walk with it on rough ground and bend over to get the lower ones ,bend to set the first couple on the drip pallet ect.
    I have been around enough that I lift and lower properly but I dont want others helping to get an injury on my watch and my wife for one does not listen well when it comes to lifting, I tell her leave me the heavy ones all i hear is I GOT IT!!

Thanks again for the feed back

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Or a lot of fun during a sunny late summer pull. ROBBING
    If there is a flow on, there is no robbing. If there is robbing, there isn't a flow on. Plenty of robbing occurs taking honey off with fume boards if there isn't at least a mild flow on.
    Mark Berninghausen

Butyric anhydride is not allowed in our trucks or on our property.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I have always used blowers to pull my several ton crop. Gas is good for sites with no power, electric are easier to turn on and off and quieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAkO_jkGyQ&t=98s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C3iJwh3lAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-wgA3BA-Q

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Butyric anhydride is not allowed in our trucks or on our property.
    is that a state regulation?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny2 View Post
    is that a state regulation?
    No. It's a Vanderpool Farms, L.L.C. company policy.

My friend spilled Beego in his truck iin the '80s......it was never the same.
    I still have a bottle out in a shed if I ever need it for retaliation vandalism.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Some years back, a stranded deer hunter came to my house looking to use a phone. Turns out he was from a large beekeeping family. He said he knew he would get help when he smelled the Beego as he was walking by.

Well, I still use the stuff for moving bees when making splits . But for pulling honey, Mann Lakes Honey Bandit works as well and smells infinitely better.

It saddens me that a real bee blower, with built in support for the super and a chute below, is no longer available. It is NOT the same as a wimpy leaf blower. The original embodiment had a 5 H.P. Chrysler 2 stroke engine, which is more powerful than any leaf blower I know of.

Harry, it was my father's dislike of the chemical repellents(It smelled like Almonds back then) that prompted the development of the first blower.

Crazy Roland

would all the bees in the honey supers know how to find their way home if the super stack was removed all together and set on a pallet with a fume board on it to drive them out or are some to young to find their way?

Johnny, we run fume boards as fast as they can go and use a blower to remove the remainder.
    Usually, it is just a small handful or less in a corner or two.
    Once in a while you will pull a super that the fume board did not move. It is wise NOT to just blaze away with the blower until you have first checked for brood.
    It's all too easy to lose a good queen that somehow made her way above the excluder.
    I have made that mistake and actually went back to that pallet and saw a clump of bees on the ground, fished around and recovered the queen.
    But to answer your question, they do seem to find their way back to a hive. Not necessarily theirs.

There is a good possibility I blew a Queen or 2 to the ground pulling this year, I had 2 hives that died out after we pulled and fuming wasnt working the best cuz it was too cold out. but I never saw any brood in the honey.

Our blowers have a chute on them so that you blow the bees onto the ground in front of their hive. If there was a Queen "Upstairs", she will now be "Downstairs", and since one is clipped, they will sort it out if there are two.

Crazy Roland

The real big producers around us all use a crew with blowers and a rack for the supers with a chute..

Can you or Roland send us a picture of that rack and chute?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

The rack and chute that I saw reminded me of a tubular steel set of legs like a tall tv tray stand with one set of legs taller than the other so when you set the super of honey on it the super was at an angle. The chute was a tray of sheet metal suspended below so it could be aimed at the entrance of the hive from which the honey super had been taken. A picture would be more illustrative.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwire View Post
    Johnny I think people overthink this process...Follow me here...Take an extra box and your replacement boxes of frames to the yard with you. As you remove a capped frame from the upper box and shake the bees back in to the hive (or brush them off if you prefer)put those capped frames in to the empty box, continue until the box is full. Pick up the box and take it to your vehicle. If you have uncapped frames don't take them off. Just replace the capped frames with empty frames. This way 1) You only remove capped frames, 2) you don't have to lift those boxes to install a bee escape 3) you don't have to wait while bees move out 4) you don't have to make multiple trips to the yard. Keep It Simple. You will be finished before you would otherwise have your bee escapes installed and bees removed.
    Ray
    This is great for a small number of supers, and we often resort to this method towards the end of the season when there is only 1 super on each hive. But during the busy time, when they are stacked with 3 or 4 supers, not very efficient. It is handling a box at a time vs a frame at a time

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Can you or Roland send us a picture of that rack and chute?
    Perhaps not the ones that commercial guys use, but Dadant does sell one:

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/honey...for-bee-blower

Edit, here's another model that I think might work better:
    https://www.ceracell.co.nz/shop/Extr...SSTANDCLA.html

Here's one that allows one to tilt the boxes, kind of like it. Also several pictures of it in use.
    https://www.ceracell.co.nz/shop/Extr...SSTANDTLT.html

A collapsible model similar to the one above:
    https://www.ceracell.co.nz/shop/Extr...SSTANDFLD.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Gotta use the escapes on the hive
    The escapes work by manipulating the hives natural movements within the supers to brood chamber
    What type of escapes do you use? I tried using the ones sold by Dadant that fit into the inner cover, but didn't have too much success with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast