pulling honey ideas looking for feed back
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default pulling honey ideas looking for feed back

I have been on hear for sometime doing lots of reading, there is so much to take in!!
    This year pulling honey we used bee go and a old deep with burlap stapled in it and a 4 inch elbow to turn into the wind to push the girls down, it worked ok but seemed to be more heavy work than is reasonable. Handling 1 box at a time is too tedious in my opinion and the hazard of tripping or dropping a box along with where and tear on the body... So i like the bee escape idea under the supers but i had a thought that if you put the super stack on your pallet that you haul them to the honey house on and had the escape on that (this would be done with an ezy loader) you could feed and pull excluders at the same time an come back the next day to haul honey. So for me its the same amount of trips to the yard but over 2 days instead of in 1 day but I think you could hit more yards each day with the reduction in labor/time.

Is this crazy talk or does it seem doable ??

I finished my year out with 53 colonies that I shipped to almonds with some other guys, my plans are to run 300 this year and keep going till I get into a comfortable work load / income ratio

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: pulling honey ideas looking for feed back

Stacking supers on an escape can work, but your boxes have to fit tight or you risk loosing the lot to robbing. There is also the problem of small hive beetle depending on the area and you need good flying weather for them to leave the supers to go back to the hives.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

temp shouldn't be an issue, flow is done in early August, and bee go dose not work well in the cooler temps either.
    the boxes should be pretty sealed up by the bees and if there are any areas that are open tape or stretch wrap should help that.
    I did not think of it before, why not put the escape on top and have the bottom sealed on the pallet?
    The speed of lifting off all the suppers at once would pay off even with a few other little hassles,I would think

a really good shot of smoke - and I mean a good shot will drive the bees right off sealed frames of honey - I try to run about 10/12 bee go pads - then everybody is ready for a water break. But I'm in SE Texas and in August/sept. its hot.

Bee escapes do work but are a bit slow. The best way of flushing the bees out of the honey supers that I wish to extract is with 'Fischers Bee Quick' on a fume board and a good blast of smoke combined. This makes extraction day very easy and free of bees.
    I can clear bees out of the honey supers quicker than I can take boxes off, brush last few bees off the combs and stack in my station wagon. Priceless!

Gotta use the escapes on the hive
    The escapes work by manipulating the hives natural movements within the supers to brood chamber

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Gotta use the escapes on the hive
    The escapes work by manipulating the hives natural movements within the supers to brood chamber
    Try 'Fishers Bee Quick and a fume board and you will never use your bee escapes again.
    The natural movement takes 24 to 36 hours and has limited success!
    Bee Go stinks too much! But Bee Quick smells beautiful.
    Only need one trip to the apiary.

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    Try 'Fishers Bee Quick and a fume board and you will never use your bee escapes again.
    The natural movement takes 24 to 36 hours and has limited success!
    Bee Go stinks too much! But Bee Quick smells beautiful.
    Only need one trip to the apiary.
    Na, those escapes have their advantages, through all conditions, and when used with lifting devices, manual lifting is eliminated

Once you are there get the work done. Often getting to the yard is the hardest part of the job.
    Mark Berninghausen

Have you tried a Bee Blower? No need to wait for the chemicals, or to come back after the bee escapes do their job.

Crazy Roland

The fume board I made up has a hole cut into large enough for a personal fan that I place over the hole. Uses a USB cable to charge it. I all so use a leaf blower. To blow out what is left in the box.

>Gotta use the escapes on the hive

That clears up if you can put them on a pallet and be ready for pick up the next trip in and feed when there the first time. I helped a commercial guy pull last fall and we handled every box, to me there is too much room for error and injury. We also went back the same day to feed , with one truck thats allot of running, he would only pull 3 yards in a day

>Have you tried a Bee Blower? No need to wait for the chemicals, or to come back after the bee escapes do their job.

I used a leaf blower on my own and also blew into my stove pipe elbows because it was so cool out the fume boards didn't work as they should have ( pulled a month and a half too late, my honey house wasn't done to pull sooner)
    a true bee blower would more than likely wok better but you still handle every box by hand and I want to get away from that.

I will end up building my own version of the fancy ezy loader if I go that route, its a little to steep of a price tag for a start up.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help

>>escapes need to be used on the hive<<

If you are pulling honey during a nectar flow you can simply stand the supers on end in the yard and by the time you have the last supers off of the hives most of the bees will have left the supers that don't have brood in them.
    Mark Berninghausen

Johnny I think people overthink this process...Follow me here...Take an extra box and your replacement boxes of frames to the yard with you. As you remove a capped frame from the upper box and shake the bees back in to the hive (or brush them off if you prefer)put those capped frames in to the empty box, continue until the box is full. Pick up the box and take it to your vehicle. If you have uncapped frames don't take them off. Just replace the capped frames with empty frames. This way 1) You only remove capped frames, 2) you don't have to lift those boxes to install a bee escape 3) you don't have to wait while bees move out 4) you don't have to make multiple trips to the yard. Keep It Simple. You will be finished before you would otherwise have your bee escapes installed and bees removed.
    Ray

Ray, he said that his goal is 300 hives.
    Assuming 2 honey supers per hive that amounts to 6000 frames,
    That seems like quite a few frames to individually shake to me.
    Am I over thinking this?
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Escapes are nice if you have lots of hives and a lift or few hives which requires less lifting

Harry You are right. I missed that part. I don't know how efficient that would be. You probably know that better than me. I like not handling them twice but I don't know if it transfers to 300 hives.
    Ray

Several years ago, my mentor blew out his knee, so I offered to help his wife (also a mentor) pull honey for a couple of days to help out.
    They have a large Kelly boom loader.
    We drove to the first yard in which the hives were arranged in a horse shoe layout and backed the truck dead center in the key hole.
    We attached the boom at the base of the sky-scraper high stacks of full honey supers and applied massive upward pressure. When we broke the stacks free, we pulled the queen excluders and placed escape boards.
    We were done in no time.
    Then we drove to the next yard that had had escape boards placed on them a day or two previously.
    We lifted skyscraper high, stacks of supers off the hives and loaded the truck in no time.

One of our trucks has an Ezy-Loader and as I get older, I will have to take the time to make up a bunch of escape boards and get with the program.
    If you have a boom, there is no easier way.
    Otherwise, Bee-Quick and fume boards has been our method since the stuff was invented.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Ray, he said that his goal is 300 hives.
    Assuming 2 honey supers per hive that amounts to 6000 frames,
    That seems like quite a few frames to individually shake to me.
    Am I over thinking this?
    How do you spell carpel tunnel syndrome?
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast