Mason Jars - tags or labels?

Default Mason Jars - tags or labels?

For years I sold honey out of plastic 1 lb. jars, plastic bears, or occasionally glass queenline jars. Most of my sales are from my roadside stand. Occasionally I'd do a sale in person and the customer would give me an odd look when I handed them the jar, and would make a comment along the lines of "Oh . . . I just expected some honey in a mason jar . . . "

So about a year and a half ago I just said screw it, bought some pint and quart mason jars and put them on the stand next to the pound and bear jars. They sell like crazy. For some reason people really prefer buying in a mason jar.

While my pound jars have labels (custom made), I haven't been doing anything to the mason jars other than putting a round sticker with the apiary name on the lid. I'm thinking its time to start adding a little bit more, like content information and weight, like I'm supposed to be doing I'm torn between using stickers on the side of the jars (labels) or using tags that are tied to the rim with hemp rope or string.

Has anyone used either, or have any suggestions or recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mason Jars - tags or labels?

Whats funny is I put my honey in quart and pint jars and what I use I switch to a plastic squeeze bottle. Since I give quite a bit of honey away and sometimes the jar is returned, if I ever do put a lable on, I think I will only put it on the lid cause you need to use new lids when bottling anyway. You are way ahead of me on your selling and so I am not really trying to give advise but more thinking out loud.

I wonder if the quarts with less on them give the type of people buying from you a more real and local feeling then a professional looking walmart bottle does. I think in Mo. we no longer really have to lable jars and I know I am putting nothing on them though I wouldn't mind having my phone number attached.

I am thinking that going all the way with gift packageing and great lableing or keeping it compleetly basic have appeals to differrent buyers and don't know what inbetween those two things do. I am not a good seller though.

Good luck and hope to hear more on what is working and not for you.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I put labels on all my jars. I use glass qt. & pt. jars & a 1.5 lb squeeze bottle.
    The glass does sell much faster.
    Here in Mo. we are required by law to have a label stating pure honey with weight and a contact name and phone or email were we can be reached.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Ironically, I avoided mason jars because I wanted to give my customers confidence that they were purchasing a quality product, and not buying from a guy bottling on his front porch. But as it ends up, that's what the customers wanted. Go figure.

Some customers choose the pound or bear, usually for the convenience factor. The no drip lids are easy to squeeze out and you can ship/transport them much easier. But most, by a wide margin, prefer the mason jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    The glass does sell much faster.
    Oddly, for me at least, it just isn't the glass jars themselves that sell faster. It's specifically the mason jars. I've tried selling queenline glass jars, 1 lb. round glass jars (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ass-Jars-cs-12), the pint "mason" jars (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...hite-Lid-Cs-12), and the regular mason jars (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-12-C...Bands/21290186). The customers prefer the regular mason jars, and on occasions where I've switched away from it, they've requested I go back. Not what I expected.

But the Ball jars are cheaper anyway. So if it sells better, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Since I give quite a bit of honey away and sometimes the jar is returned, if I ever do put a lable on, I think I will only put it on the lid cause you need to use new lids when bottling anyway.
    If you get a good vinyl label, it'll clean off well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    I put labels on all my jars. I use glass qt. & pt. jars & a 1.5 lb squeeze bottle.
    Any reason you went with the label on the qt and pt jars, and not a tag?

I use the round kraft labels on the lid of mason jars; it gives a more "down home" feel. I include all the required info including a specific notice that the processing was not inspected.

This year I did a half pint with a little burlap and a bow tied twine. I doubled the price and was told they would have paid more.

As stated check your state laws. I have found it easyier to have my labels printed with the weight all ready printed on it. So I have five or six labels with the same information but for weight. Most canning jars will hold 1-1/2 or 3 lb of honey. I run a Mayo jar and some times it is impossible to get that last oz in so my weight list is 23 or 47 ozs. Just something to think about.
    I would never think of tying info on a jar but for a specialty product. And I haven't found a reason yet. The closest I have come is a special award winning label that I had and charge more for it.

hoot owl L.... is correct on Mo labeling. It looks like you have to list contents (I assume pure honey covers that) and your name and adress. I did not see that it needed weight though some might say that that fits under content. You no longer have to highlight that it was bottled in a kitchen that is not inspected.

I still have not put anything on mine but also have not sold a hundred bucks worth yet.

Specialk.... Thanks for the tip on the vinyl lables coming off easy. If I thought it would stay on, I would like to get an ink stamp made up where I could just stamp the lids. I ran a resurant and a stamp was how I signed all the checks I recieved and once you have it, it is easy to use.
    Good luck
    gww
    Last edited by gww; 12-28-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    If I thought it would stay on, I would like to get an ink stamp made up where I could just stamp the lids.
    You can do it that way, but your ink won't be waterproof. The label may not be either. I can't tell you how many times I've found a sticky jar. It's a whole lot easier to wipe it clean with a rag, than remove the label, clean, dry, and relabel.

Specialk...
    You can do it that way, but your ink won't be waterproof. The label may not be either. I can't tell you how many times I've found a sticky jar. It's a whole lot easier to wipe it clean with a rag, than remove the label, clean, dry, and relabel.
    Thats what I figured but if there was a good ink that did not come off in water, it sure would be an easy way to put something on a lid.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Gold foil 2x2 folded tag tied on with ribbon. Info printed on the white paper inside. Pint mason jar. Top it with a bee themed mason jar cloth bonnet. (Instructions on the web) Sell it for $20.00
    That is my plan. Of course, I own a sewing machine so making the bonnets it easy.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.