Bee stings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee stings

Default Bee stings

It seems like most people deem bee stings to be quite a bad thing. If I express that I've been stung twenty or more times, people have told me to go see a doctor asap "just in case". People constantly say that, just because I'm not allergic now, doesn't mean I won't develop one and have an allergic reaction soon, that the more I'm stung the more likely I am to become allergic. Those who haven't been stung are often very fearful of bees because "they don't know if they're allergic or not".

Are bee stings more dangerous than I think? Is it risky to take someone who hasn't been stung by a bee before, over an hour away from a hospital? Should I get myself some sort of epipen? Or maybe some sort of lotion to put on fresh beestings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee stings

If you become allergic it would should be progressive. Such as they are more swollen and swollen longer than they used to. Last time I got stung (not by a honey bee) it was right between the eyes. I was stacking hay in a barn. finished with that bale then put some of my chew on it. Went back to work never got swollen or really hurt more than a few minutes if that. I was also in that barn for days with another guy who would jump and run and swing at every possibly stinging insect. I had to tell him in my yard ( before I started keeping bee's) STOP swatting at the honey bee's. He's not allergic either.
    I wouldn't worry about unless your reactions get worse.
    Some people just have an overly drastic reaction for no reason. Yes it hurts. More just uncomfortable. Not going to kill ya or most anybody.

An epipen may useful in case a friend who shows up and doesn't know they are allergic wants to go help you or just look at the neat hives.

Quote Originally Posted by omnimirage View Post
    People constantly say....
    Well, people are constantly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Well, people are constantly wrong.
    Short, sweet and true. I LIKE IT.

skip the epipen. Buy a bottle of liquid benedryl to keep in your car when you go out to the hives with a newbee. That can be taken when someone is not sure if they are allergic or not when they get stung for the first or second or tenth time. If you use an epipen, you are supposed to make a trip to the hospital.

Everyone is different. Consult a doctor for advice first. It's always nice to share thoughts here but don't stop there.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Get stung often and you'll have no issues with allergy. Wear a suit and gloves and get stung rarely and you are in danger. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Everyone is different. Consult a doctor for advice first. It's always nice to share thoughts here but don't stop there.
    Doctors don't know all that much about allergic reactions to bee stings. How and why someone becomes allergic is still a mystery, from what I have seen. Doctors are going to tell you to carry an epipen at all times and to renew them regularly, just in case.

I'd say, be aware and don't panic should you feel differently after being stung.
    Mark Berninghausen

Get stung often and you'll have no issues with allergy. Wear a suit and gloves and get stung rarely and you are in danger. IMHO
    Very bad advice from a non doctor.

I'm in the bees in a t shirt and shorts not because I like to get stung I just sweat way too much and in my experience the more I get stung the less the reaction is.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    Actually he's Michael Palmer, PhD.
    Mark Berninghausen

Buzzkill Michael Palmer has forgotten more about bees than you or I know so unless you have some sort of evidence his advice is bad I would hesitate to criticize what he's saying. But I'm sure one of the internet bee keeping gurus told you otherwise right, problem is most of them spend more time on the internet pushing their agendas than they do keeping bees alive!

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Actually he's Michael Palmer, PhD.

No it's been proven MOSTLY by natural "remedeyers" BUT also by Dr studies as well.
    Others may be able to help me out on this that a study was done on bee keepers kids that "of course you don't want your kids stung" so they are in a bee suit while you are not. That those beekeepers kids who never got stung where greatly more allergic to bee stings than a normal person who has never been around bee's. Due to some pheromone always being around beekeepers kids but never getting the other pheromone by not getting stung.
    Palmer you may remember better than me.
    It had something to do with not coddling beekeepers kids. Because the pheromone is in the wash with the suit etc....

I believe I read it here. And I believe what I said earlier some people just over react.

I used to pet a dog that went through poison ivy and get it ALL over. Hospitilized twice for head to toe and eyes swollen shut as a kid. Now I don't play in it, but can be near or touching it and get a small rash and some small blisters. I think getting it helped me from not getting it so bad.

BUT there is always that weird thing about allergy's. You could become allergic to something like eating peanut butter your whole life then after 40 you can't. But it's not over night if your worried about YOU needing an epipen.

Actually MP did a video on it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=P0QB96RrGdM
    Allergies come and go, I don’t bother with a epi pen, but I do carry a bottle of children’s Benadryl (gets into the bloodstream quicker than the pills) just in case.
    Rod

Epipen is very expensive and you need an Rx to get it. And it goes out of date so it has to be replaced. Lots of $$$ for maybe a maybe. My experience is the pain and swelling gets less the more I get stung.

If you are afraid, beekeeping may not be for you because it's going to happen. Before I ever started someone told me to pay attention to what I was doing because I will only get stung if I do something wrong. The bees will teach me.

You can believe what you want. I've been around bees and beekeepers long enough to have seen some things. I know beekeeper family members, who never got stung, that developed allergy to bee venom. I've known allergic spouses and children that were treated for their allergy...and with what? Bee venom. My daughter the same. I know one child who was treated, became tolerant of bee venom, and worked with his dad in commercial bees. If he took the winter off, band got no stings, he reacted with first stings in the spring. When they moved to Florida for the winter, that never happened again. Now he's in Hawaii keeping bees commercially.

And I've got other ones, too. So, I'm convinced by Mraz and others that have actually worked with bee venom for decades. And with my allergist who knows the same.

My personal story....In my 30's I took up with honeybees, had a few hives got a few stings no big deal. Then one time I got stung and had an anaphylactic reaction. Let me tell you when you walk into an E.R. and tell them your body is acting differently then it ever has before there's not much waiting time to see a Doctor.
    Anyway I went to an allergist afterward so he could tell me what's up. He tested me with increasing doses all afternoon and the results...."inconclusive"! So I carried an epipen for a while but the whole affair gave the gentle hobby of beekeeping a certain aire of doom that I found disagreeable, so I slowly gave them up.
    I didn't like life without bees so at age 60 I took them up again. First time stung I took 2 benadryl pronto and drove myself to the clinic, let them know why I was there but didn't ask for help as I had noooo reaction. Just sat for about 45 minutes to be safe and decided it was safe to go. Been stung about 8-10 times since no problem. My G.P. said "all we can say is you're definitely not allergic to something 'till you definitely are."
    So that's my case. Having a few benedryl around the house can't hoit!

I watched a M Palmer video about stings a couple years ago -- may be the one linked above -- which cited folks that sounded like they put in the research. I've also had people tell me that after many stings they developed an allergy, so who knows.

My $0.02 is that over the years my reaction to stings have been less and less. I probably take 20-30 stings a year, and they don't swell much more than mosquito bites anymore, except in the face, that still swells like nobodies business.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast