"165 million acres of farmland to be sprayed with bee killing pesticide...."

Default "165 million acres of farmland to be sprayed with bee killing pesticide...."

Don't know how valid it is, but doesn't look good.

https://www.ecowatch.com/syngenta-ne...518688773.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: "165 million acres of farmland to be sprayed with bee killing pesticide...."

Bees aside, what the heck are folks going to feed growing kids these days that isn't laced with "acceptable amounts" of poison?

Better grow a garden. Even if you don't have land, you can still do it in containers.

kotata.JPG

Celebrity tomato, fresh and canned.jpg

sweet cluster.jpg

DSC08917.jpg

carrots.jpg

I read c*** like the OP's post and get inspired to do the work it takes to grow my own food, whether I am weary of the effort or not. (Weary when weather is ugly, not when the sun is shining and birds are singing)
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Default Re: "165 million acres of farmland to be sprayed with bee killing pesticide...."

Lauri, haven't you heard, american kids eat pizza and fast foods, or if there is home cooked, it's "out of the box" and just filled with all the yummy chemicals, preservatives, sodium and sugar. And a lot of the "new" poisoned farm crops will go into providing meat protein, which along the way will be further "injected, infected, and de-tected" (I miss the 60's :-) ) with yet more chemical additives.

Quote Originally Posted by exmar View Post
    Lauri, haven't you heard, american kids eat pizza and fast foods, or if there is home cooked, it's "out of the box" and just filled with all the yummy chemicals, preservatives, sodium and sugar. And a lot of the "new" poisoned farm crops will go into providing meat protein, which along the way will be further "injected, infected, and de-tected" (I miss the 60's :-) ) with yet more chemical additives.
    Ya, I know.
    I'm from the old school. Occasional treat or dining out. Majority home raised, killed, cooked and eaten. Balanced nutrition. Don't get me started about how toxic and addictive our food has been allowed to become.

'You are what you eat' has a whole new meaning these days.

b2674c98b1d514d6425cfc8c377ec9ac.jpg
    Last edited by Lauri; 12-23-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

I am all for growing, eating and supporting local food production. This age of information has made it much easier to gather details. This report seems alarming on its' own. But, it is out of context. Are the farmers currently just letting insects destroy their crops? How do the environmental risk of neonics compare to those of the products being replaced? Should corn farmers go back to using furadan?

Things always seem better in our memories. I would not want to go back 50+ years to how food was produced, harvested and handled. Here is an intersting report from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...840a1.htm#fig1

Tom

The EPA has lost over 700 employees this year, of which over 27% were scientists. Not even close to what the current administration wants in reduction. Pruitt (now head of the EPA) was a banker who was fined and now banned from banking. I'm not into politics but see this as very concerning going forward...

Agree with the concept of we are what we eat. Agree with growing your own food supply. Agree with killing and eating what you have fed so that you know what your eating. Sound much like the 60s to me.
    Problem is; these days the news we read are filtered/edited by MSM to invoke stress and concerns that probably cause as much or more harm to our bodies.

Eat well and enjoy life, ignore MSM...

Guaranteed that if chicken little was real, he'd be working for MSNBC. When the EPA was created, it had a much different role than it does today. Wouldn't hurt for it to go back to its roots and do the job is was created to do. Like making recommendations against pesticides that poison the planet. Does anyone remember ddt?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Guaranteed that if chicken little was real, he'd be working for MSNBC. When the EPA was created, it had a much different role than it does today. Wouldn't hurt for it to go back to its roots and do the job is was created to do. Like making recommendations against pesticides that poison the planet. Does anyone remember ddt?
    Yep, Rachel Carson, "Silent Spring." I've heard from farmers around here that a lot of the "chemicals" the EPA has outlawed are legal in Mexico. How much of our produce comes from Mexico and less regulated countries? The EPA is (or was) trying to protect us and whoever OK's imports, FDA? USDA? lets the chemically tainted stuff in. No idea if what I heard was valid or not. Just makes you wonder.

One of my small bee yards has a Syngenta nursery right across the road. Much of the structure was wiped out by Irma but I'm sure that's temporary.
    Disturbing article.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

"But we can expect the Trump EPA to now ignore the risks to birds and bees..."

Just like the Obama EPA and the Bush EPA and the Clinton EPA and the Bush EPA and the Reagan EPA and the Carter EPA and the Ford EPA and the Nixon EPA.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    "But we can expect the Trump EPA to now ignore the risks to birds and bees..."

Just like the Obama EPA and the Bush EPA and the Clinton EPA and the Bush EPA and the Reagan EPA and the Carter EPA and the Ford EPA and the Nixon EPA.
    The EPA was put into play to force energy prices higher, make some of the early advocates millionaires and force coal business into bankruptcy....looks like the govt has once again been successful, in their eyes.

Affordable Energy means great economy, another act of trade balancing.

Yeah, the problem is most people think if you cross a cantaloupe to a squash you get a weird hybrid squash melon fruit and you expect them to grow their own food??

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Yeah, the problem is most people think if you cross a cantaloupe to a squash you get a weird hybrid squash melon fruit and you expect them to grow their own food??
    No...but their adult choice has adult consequences.

Umm? Maybe the 700 reduction (hopefully just the start) is because - rather than actually making things safer (if they could even) - the EPA doesn't make anything safer - just a lot more expensive. Remember the mining containment pond the EPA burst (if any person or company had done this the EPA would have levied HUGE fines and cleanup demands and bills)? EPA on the other hand announced that "nature" was healing itself remarkably - end of story. Maybe that is the EPA people want? The 700 down (more?) might be because the EPA (supposedly) is not supposed to push an agenda - but that appears to have become its main purpose.

"Silent Spring" - There are actually people now who believe it was a book of facts - not just a nature novel with an agenda.

No- all the chemical use is bad (don't remember that next time we're fuming the hives or dumping more chems into them). So what does the EPA have to do with that?

As for Trump going to kill all the little birdies and bees... I don't think anyone with perspective needs take that serious. I refrain from speaking down the leaders - unless I can say what Commandment they are breaking (then it isn't me that is the judge). If someone wants to target Trump's problems - at least target real ones. But if you want to pat former presidents on the back (including possibly the last former) then the targeting is pretty much falling of deaf ears for me - do it without respect of persons or just don't do it.