2 frame nucs

Thread: 2 frame nucs

Default 2 frame nucs

seen a video from barnyard bees, that you can take a frame with bees eggs and young larvae and put it in a 2 frame nuc with another frame of starter found. and they will make a queen. Question is did i read somewhere on bs that this method would make an inferior queen? can't find that thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The barnyard guys usually insert a queen cell. One frame of bees can?t in my opinion make a good queen unless you provide the pollen needed and nectar.

Default Re: 2 frame nucs

Are you sure he wasn't adding a ripe queen cell? But yes in all likelihood the queen would be inferior if they could even successfully do it. The best queens come from strong strong strong hives. So if you wanted to start 2 frame nucs use a ripe queen cell harvested from a strong hive. And I would honestly use 2 full frames of brood or minimum have that second frame an empty drawn comb. Good luck bud.

I converted a nuc into two two-frame nucs side by side, each with an entrance on opposite sides. I use this when I find queen cells in a hive that's about to swarm. I'll put in a frame with a couple QCs and another one with young brood and some honey, then shake in more nurse bees. Great way to start a couple new hives.

Two or three frame splits typically do very poorly if you don't have a queen cell ready to go for them. Lots of bees stuffed into the split doesnt hurt either.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I tried walk away splits last year using 2 frame mating nucs. None of them made it. This year they will be for ready to emerge queen cells only. Walk aways are now done in five frame nucs with LOTS of bees.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

You don't really need to find a thread to tell you that's a horrible way to make a queen unless you're using a queen cell.

I'm sure he's not just letting them make an emergency queen that way. A queen made that way would be about as poor as a queen can be made unless it was packed to the absolute gills with bees and pollen/honey.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Yes, I think this will work well for what they are, mating nucs. A ripe queen cell and a couple frames worth of bees. She hatches, goes on mating flight and returns. Then she is used to start a nuc or sold. Queen is in there only long enough to get mated. As said this would not work very well for making splits.

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly2 View Post
    Yes, I think this will work well for what they are, mating nucs. A ripe queen cell and a couple frames worth of bees. She hatches, goes on mating flight and returns. Then she is used to start a nuc or sold. Queen is in there only long enough to get mated. As said this would not work very well for making splits.
    I have used them for both purposes. For mating Nucs, I prefer the “half frames” or Mini Mating Nucs. I have used two frame Nucs for making splits and it worked fairly well. I gave them a frame of partial brood/ food and frame of mostly capped brood and eggs with attached bees. I shake on 1 extra frame of nurse bees and add about 1/2 of a pollen patty. About 90% of the time, they make a viable Queen that gets mated. I place them into other equipment or use them to make combinations as necessary. Last season, I made about 10 splits using this method as a test.

We're not saying it isn't possible, but if viable is all you're looking for, you can do it with even less. I would not want those queens in my operation though. If you mailed them to Tarpy, they'd be lucky to get a D-.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

You can pull an existing queen and a couple frames of bees from a colony and put it into a nuc, and let the now queenless colony make the cells. After they are capped you can make as many 2 frame nucs as you can or want with the existing cells. You can take bees from other colonies too. Plastic foundation makes it hard to take individual cells off the frames though.

I agree with"cuttingedge" they work great. I made one this summer to put in a frame with a swarm cell from a strong hive. In no time it was busting with bees and full of brood, which is its biggest draw back---you have to watch it or it will swarm on you before you can get the mated queen into a bigger box...
    I used 1 by 6s for the ends which was 5 1/2 inches ,this left a lot of room with 2 frames and it was REALY tight for 3 frames, so they built a 3rd comb from the lid in 3 weeks....
    I used it about 3 times and will build more of them this summer.

==McBee7==