Best propane fogger for Tactic - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best propane fogger for Tactic

Quote Originally Posted by RudyT View Post
    If it doesn't kill anyone or the bees, it will probably escalate mite resistance to Amitraz - so these three are essentially stealing a treatment from the law abiding beekeepers. You should tell them to cease or they will be talking to the EPA.
    One of the more memorable beekeepers around here was treating his bees with strips of blue shop towel soaked in amitraz. He told me he's known a veterinarian for 40 years and he gets a few of his treatments from this person. I remember thinking, wow, this guy is just grabbing pieces of shop towel off with a cotton glove which has probably as much amitraz soaked into it as that puck of shop towels. Who cares about what it does to varroa, I would bet that that guy doesnt have any mites, ticks, fleas, or lice and never will.

As to the OP, if youre hell bent on doing something crazy, and it really sounds like something you definitely shouldnt do, any fogger will more than likely work. If it clogs, refer to the literature that comes with your unit as it tells you how to unclog the coil. Respirator cartridges... do some homework. At the end of the day though, it sounds like a very bad idea and plan B should be invoked.

As far as "law abiding beekeepers" ... LOL Read any thread on OA going back as far as you want, lots and lots and lots of people using that stuff off label to vaporize their bees but you know its that pot/kettle argument. But I am glad one of us here has the EPA on speed dial lol The federal penitentiaries are about to get overwhelmed with beekeepers
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Guys, listen to me, I am not hell bent on using the fogger. It was suggested to us as a quick efficient way to do it.

I am smart enough to listen to the collective wisdom here and we are going with the OA dribble method.

Good choice Crabo, good choice

edit: Look into a ProVap 110 it's less than $500 but it's easy to use if you have a little generator or an inverter and extension chord in your vehicle. You don't have to crack hives to use it.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/varrox-d...acid-vaporizer
    Last edited by rwurster; 12-19-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Pro vap rocks. Buy from SNL though at oxavap.com

Look into the VM vaporizer(lots of info on this forum). Pricey, but nothing else is as fast. I have treated thousands of hives with mine. Well -ok- my 20 hives hundreds of times.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I can't speak for Michael Palmer, but if I had written what he wrote it would have been from being astounded, not sarcasm.
    I can't speak for the OP, but if Michael Palmer reacted like that to one of my posts, I'd be very concerned about why, rather than accuse him of being sarcastic.

I heard of a russian guy who poisoned himself while fogging taktic. He lived a short while after and passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    I heard of a russian guy who poisoned himself while fogging taktic. He lived a short while after and passed away.
    .. meanwhile in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    .. meanwhile in Russia.
    More likely California

Here's my two cents.... Taktic itself isn't labelled for bees, then on top of that you're askiing about a very un-approved method of application so it's even a double whammy....

the fogged tactic helps the bees digest chicken blood! it's the "circle of life."

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    the fogged tactic helps the bees digest chicken blood! it's the "circle of life."
    Now thats funny!Thanks for the morning laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MTN-Bees View Post
    There is a lot of info here. It bears out the decision we made not to use the tatic.

Thanks for the info.

What do you use Crabo?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Attachment 36747

I am attaching an image of the abstract, rather than just linking a page.
    Note the -- dangerous dose is 15 ml -- that 3 teaspoons.

Other medical reports show as little as 5 ml of 12% diluted Amitraz can induce a coma in an adult woman who was poisoned intravenously.
    https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/[email protected]+6939

Mixing amitraz with alcohol in a fogger is an dangerously stupid stunt.
    In the grand scheme of things, an oral dose of 5mL is actually quite a large dose when it comes to toxicity. There's a lot of commonly used chemicals and pharmaceuticals that are far more toxic.

5g of oxalic acid has a chance of killing you (LD50 of 375mg/kg). 12g of pure aspirin has a 50% chance of killing an adult.

5g of formic acid probably won't kill you (LD50 dog 4g/kg) but you'll have a really bad day. Same goes for 5mL of household bleach (LD50 rat 4g/kg).

Vapor inhalation is a whole different story.

While I don't profess to know a lot of commercial keepers, from what I've heard off label use of taktic is still rather common.

Know some commercial beekeepers here in Germany that fog amitraz, too. One of them died from cancer recently. Coincidence only, of course.

Now there is a coincidence for you, I have known a number of people who have died from cancer and none of them even kept bees so I wonder where they got their amitraz from. Very hard to nail down cause and effect.
    Johno

Now having said that I would make it known that I do not have a problem with amitraz, but I would rather use it with glycerin and shop towels than with a fogger.
    Johno

Not that it matters, but fogging sounds more like a good full face respirator issue, and good PPE. Everything causes cancer. Everything will kill you in vapor form inhaled. I guess if you fogging that would mean you're in a hurry, the blue shop towel is fine, construction paper you name it. Everyone in NC now has to have a respirator just to apply paraquat. Don't matter droplet size or the nice over pressure climate controlled cab with charcoal filters I run, etc. Tactik isn't dead just go down to Georgia and Florida you'll find shipping containers of that stuff.

A caveat I would make is that NCDA will threaten to fine now for residue, or so a neighbor told me after his got airplane'd to death and the residue test had alot more amitraz than insecticide. Not sure how they knew it wasn't legit amitraz, must have found some shop towels.

Protect that bottom line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast