In 1987, state agriculture inspectors found the bee-killing varroa mites in a Winter

Default In 1987, state agriculture inspectors found the bee-killing varroa mites in a Winter

In 1987, state agriculture inspectors found the bee-killing varroa mites in a Winter Garden hive, according to Sentinel archives. The mites decimated bee colonies across the state, and by 2006, the number of registered beekeepers dropped to about 670, says David Westervelt, chief apiary inspector at the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. (Orlando Weekly)
    A behind-the-scenes look at the quest to make honey the key ingredient in Orlando’s 'signature dish'
    https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orland...nt?oid=9228547
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: In 1987, state agriculture inspectors found the bee-killing varroa mites in a Win

Interesting article. It is a shame that another locality is going to claim honey as a signature ingredient since honey bees first came to the new world in Virginia. For the record, we were too busy claiming tobacco as our signature plant. There was one very important piece of misinformation presented. As everyone who grew up in South Florida knows, the skunk ape is NOT a myth.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: In 1987, state agriculture inspectors found the bee-killing varroa mites in a Win

Almost correct with Jamestown, VA in 1622, however honey bees were first introduced in St. Augustine, Florida in 1565. There are actually records of Florida Indians raising bees long before the English or "Americans" arrived. Recall Florida has been populated by Europeans especially of Spanish and Catholic ancestry with their requirement for natural beeswax candles for well over 500 years.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

You are most likely correct. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if you told me Ponce de Leon brought the first bees over in 1513 or so. Virginia focuses on the English and forgets that Florida was already established as a Spanish colony long before the Jamestown folks arrived. Thanks for the reminder. And to think, I learned this all as a child in South Florida
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    There are actually records of Florida Indians raising bees long before the English or "Americans" arrived.
    What sorts of records? I'd like to see them. Concerning VA there are actual Ship's Manifests listing beehives. Are there any manifests from Spanish ship that list beehives? Thanks.
    Mark Berninghausen

They are in Havana, Cuba. Access varies with the political climate.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

So you are saying that the Cubans have the Ship's Manifest Records and don't readily share them? No one who has had access to them has republished them? Interesting.

So who observed Native Floridians keeping bees long before Virginians? Is there some historical account? Someone who was traveling through FL prior to 1620 who observed and wrote about seeing honeybees being kept by FL Native peoples? I am not doubting anything, just curious.
    Mark Berninghausen

I learned the Native American beekeeper stories from an anthropology professor at the University of South Florida.
    David Westervelt would be the best source for the St. Augustine records.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Thanks
    Mark Berninghausen

Maybe the Norse brought some in the 10th century.
    Mistakes are the best taechers