Jumbo depth frames in an 8 frame box? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jumbo depth frames in an 8 frame box?

There are some neat ideas here. But if I did it, I'd just wire, coat with beeswax, and let the bees draw the comb. (my days of foundationless deeps without wires or 40lb fishing line have ended)
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    There are some neat ideas here. But if I did it, I'd just wire, coat with beeswax, and let the bees draw the comb. (my days of foundationless deeps without wires or 40lb fishing line have ended)
    Foundationless with reinforcing wire or monofiliament would be cheap and easy. I plan to get them drawn out in stacked nuc boxes; I find they draw comb nicer in narrow and tall configuration but have never tried the extra deep frames. I should have entertainment value if nothing else.

I want to try wintering in extra deep single brood configuration. Single box of standard depth is do able but they need often need feeding in the spring. It is a long winter here with dandelions not in full bloom till third week in may.
    Frank

I use Jumbo eight frame brood chambers and medium supers with great success in the Carolinas. I like the extra room for the queen to lay without crossing chambers. I’ve tried eight, ten and twelve frame Jumbo hives and in the Carolinas the eight frame works best! I modify deep chambers to Jumbo by adding additional wood to the bottom of hive body. I purchase frames from Thorne Beekeeping in England, great customer service. Foundation is purchased from Dadant. It’s been a learning curve and a treasure hunt for frames and foundation but it is worth it! Can’t believe the USA beekeepers moved away from Jumbo. Still prominent in England...
    Last edited by rail; 03-13-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    They would be for brood frames only. I would use mediums for honey supers.

I put a deep box on an all 8 frame medium hive and the bees immediately moved the brood nest into the deep. Makes me wonder about that whole all mediums theory.
    odfrank, I was thinking of a similar plot but run the frames the short way so that my 8 frame mediums can all be supers. so best guess 13 wide 20ish inches deep, as many as the standard lang would hold. go with single brood box but very deep, then supers with the standard lang medium frames. figured doing split would be easier with more frames, lighter, easier to mix in some stores frames and brood frames. I could set it on top of an over winter hive and let them move up and then remove the bottom and let them keep the new style unit.
    GG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12