rapid feeder

Thread: rapid feeder

Default rapid feeder

whoever uses the rapid feeder, likes and dislikes? where are they purchased, only thing comes up is in canadien

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: rapid feeder

Hii beefarmer, I use the Rapid Feeders, I have for about 7 years now. They are the bees' knees.

You are right that for the RF's, which are made in England, The Bee Works in Orillia, Ontario, Canada is the only NAmerican distributor. Jean and David Eyre are the beekeeper proprietors and also sell excellent quality cover cloths. They are a lovely couple, I visited them two weeks ago. Excellent to deal with.

The RF's are easy to use, and because they sit over the hole in the inner cover, you do not need to crack open the colony to feed. I also use them in winter, filled with dampened sugar as emergency rations.

I just wish they fit onto the inner covers of nucs, and that you could fit a nuc box over them. I have had to whittle the edges of the inner covers to fit the RF's onto nucs, and a friend made me thin-walled nuc sized boxes to put over the feeders. This is easily solved by using header boards in a standard 8 or 10 frame box instead of using 5 frame nuc boxes to start new queens and colonies.

My main use of frame feeders is now as header boards, restricting the space in 10 frame singles till the new colonies are up to size!

I've had them. I liked them back when I had inner covers. Mostly I use the frame feeders with caps and ladders now.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I looked at eyre's site. Why not use gallon cans? Feeds rapidly...up to 5 gallons in a few days. Much cheaper cost.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    I just wish they fit onto the inner covers of nucs, and that you could fit a nuc box over them. I have had to whittle the edges of the inner covers to fit the RF's onto nucs, and a friend made me thin-walled nuc sized boxes to put over the feeders. This is easily solved by using header boards in a standard 8 or 10 frame box instead of using 5 frame nuc boxes to start new queens and colonies.
    In the U.K. there is also a smaller Nuc rapid feeder readily available which works great with 5 frames and up nuc boxes. It might be worth asking the suppliers who currently sell the bigger fast feeders if they can get the smaller nuc version from here as well.

6F454794-02B7-409A-94B0-87F7A5E25624.jpgBE2C7862-283A-4450-B2CD-ECF485CDF001.jpeg
    Last edited by Nickyboy; 12-13-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added too many pictures of the same type, so removed 2

Check out ebay. Several sizes offered, most with free shipping.

I brought in a bunch of the orange nuc feeders and to be honest I felt they were too small! I wish they were double high at least. I should have tracked how much a hungry nuc with a new queen can take down without actually making syrup into honey stores, but the orange feeders emptied surprisingly fast (I had a big run of late summer queens to build up...won't be doing that in a dearth again...).

As for the rapid feeders, they are great for a few reasons:
    1. take up no room in a colony so if it is expanding rapidly you are not losing 2 frame spaces to an internal feeder, a big advantage in nuc colonies.

2. you do not need to open the colony to feed...just quicker and easier to top up a hive top feeder

3. bees do not drown...although granted the frame feeders with ladders are pretty good now

4. you can clean them...I find the feeders do get a reasonable amount of black mold on them and need swapping out every few weeks. Obviously you cannot see that on frame feeders as they are black, but when I use them now I dishwasher them after use. BTW the Rapid Feeders go through the dishwasher, although I usually have to scrub them with Barkeeper's Friend to get them white again.

FWIW I also have some big, rectangular feeders that double well as winter feeders filled with dampened sugar. But they are quite heavy and unwieldy when full of syrup, so a bit harder to manage in summer if used for building new colonies...and of course do not fit nucs. The rectangular feeders are made of a more rigid plastic and I have not tested them to see if they are dishwasher safe.