Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts

quoted from Rusty Burlew: For many years I didn’t feed any pollen substitute at all, and I experienced no problems. I think the bigger mistake is feeding it too early in the year. Several years ago I experimented with giving supplements earlier, starting in October, and I got myself into a heap of trouble. By the first of January I had huge colonies that needed to be fed almost daily. I was really tired of honey bees by April, so when all those overcrowded colonies began swarming, I was like, “Good riddance!” I was never so happy to see the butt end of a bee in my life.”
    Unfortunately my hives need it too.
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I follow Rusty as well. My hives still shut down on schedule and are currently broodless. Pollen sub being available, along with a constant source of sugar syrup, did not prolong the brood rearing in the fall, nor has it initiated it yet this winter. Perhaps different locations also have an impact? I wish the role of nutrition in raising and caring for bees was better understood. Like varroa and hemolymph, I think we have parts of it wrong.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

From a post on Rusty's blog regarding feeding.

>>
    Lara Wilson
    December 29, 2018 at 5:40 pm • Reply
    [email protected]
    Rusty,
    What do you think about giving some protein or pollen substitute along with candy boards during winter?

Rusty
    December 29, 2018 at 5:57 pm • Reply
    Lara,

I think it’s fine as long as you don’t give it too early. Any time after the winter solstice (like now) is great.

>>

While this does nothing for my argument that open feeding pollen sub year round is good, it does speak to the idea that feeding sub in the winter is not as taboo as once thought.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 12-30-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Remove comment that may have been taken as snarkey which was not my intent.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I agree with that; BUT I think location is very relevant too, as in all beekeeping is local. And I dont mind “snarkiness” just for the reason you stated, usually unintended.
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789