Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts

Oh great. First we had zombie bees, and now it's vampires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm surprised they don't tell you to cut it 50% with granulated sugar. Guess it must be because of all the brewers yeast.

When I was researching ingredients two years ago I talked with a vendor looking for brewers yeast, He made reference to Keith J who also had contacted him as a source. In addition to yeast the vendor had other protein supplements such as Promax which is dried plasma and Vital Pro which is dried blood. Both sourced from beef, South America if I remember correctly. He also had a product called Peptide 80 (80% protein). Comparing the amino acids and the ratios to DeGroots work looked like some portion of those products in the mix might help the amino acid profile in the over all mix. I did not pursue it further since I did not need the quantity to make it worth the trouble.
    Keith may be able to comment on particle size and other considerations.

I agree that customer perception is a big deal, maybe chicken blood free will be the new equivalent of treatment free or raw unfiltered honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To those who don't have a problem with it, realise it's not about whether you have a problem with it.

It's about whether some of the honey buying customers have a problem with it, and trust me, some of them will. All honey will be tainted in the minds of some.

Honey costs a lot more than sugar and people only buy stuff with honey cos they have warm fuzzy images of bees, and folks see it as wholesome. That could all be set to change.
    Some honey buying customers have a problem with everything and anything we do or don't do. Cant please everybody!
    Nick
    gridleyhollow.com

To those that have never kept bees, squishing a queen because she isn't performing well may seem harsh and cruel. To those that understand the fact that bees are livestock, it make sense to cull poor performing queens.

A lot of people seem concerned about the initial cost. I may be crazy, but it makes more sense to look at the rate of gain in a pollen sub, then factor in how much it cost to make a frame of brood. Sure this product may be more expensive intially, but if it performs better than ultra bee, then it may exceed that economic threshold and actually save money in the long run.

Also judging from what everyone is saying, no one has actually tried it out yet, so how can we begin to hate it, if we havent seen the results?

Just my two cents
    Robbie

All PR problems aside, the price is too high! Unless they can offer quantity prices(this is the commercial forum-right?) AND make the case for superiority over industry standard subs already in use, I do not see much of a future for Purina Bee Chow!

We tried their free sample.
    1) very finely ground. Becomes airborne too easily.
    2) difficult to mix being so fine.
    3) tastes horrible,,, yes, i tried it.
    We mixed to their specification. Tried it on 12 hives. Placed our own pollen sub mix in same hives. Same time. Hives ate our sub at twice the rate.

I wouldn't recommend the product. Nothing special. Hives that we placed only our sub patties looked equal to or better then the 12 test hives.

Quote Originally Posted by mbholl View Post
    You did read the part where it contains dried chicken blood?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

35-40 micron is what is needed. So it being difficult to mix being so fine is merely a detail. It needs to be that fine.

I would have tasted it too
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Ewww. This is not like the old Purina dog food that was kinda like corn nuts to me. A 50 pound bag made for some serious snacking when I was growing up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    35-40 micron is what is needed. So it being difficult to mix being so fine is merely a detail. It needs to be that fine.
    Wonder how this would compare to bee ate?

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    Wonder how this would compare to bee ate?
    BeePollenate has no animal products in its mix. Micron size of 35-40, extremely fine, itís a yeast based supplement. Mixes like water sets up like a soft cake.
    But $$$$

Sorry, i meant in terms of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong and Family View Post
    To those that have never kept bees, squishing a queen because she isn't performing well may seem harsh and cruel. To those that understand the fact that bees are livestock, it make sense to cull poor performing queens.

A lot of people seem concerned about the initial cost. I may be crazy, but it makes more sense to look at the rate of gain in a pollen sub, then factor in how much it cost to make a frame of brood. Sure this product may be more expensive intially, but if it performs better than ultra bee, then it may exceed that economic threshold and actually save money in the long run.

Also judging from what everyone is saying, no one has actually tried it out yet, so how can we begin to hate it, if we havent seen the results?

Just my two cents
    Robbie
    Totally agree! I have been feeding my bees Ultra Bee for about 5 years and am VERY happy with it as are my bees especially during the Fall and Winter. I applied for a free sample of the "Purina Bee Chow". It is worth trying and evaluating. I have been buying my Ultra Bee in the 1500 lb. totes which keeps the price as economical as possible. I try to wait and catch it on sale. Purina will have to come off that $90 per 40 lb. bag price and offer a bulk discount for larger beekeeping operations. If it works as good or better it could be worth it in the long run as you mentioned. Some competition for Mann Lake I think is a good thing.

Ian -- its finer then any soy flour or brewers yeast we've used. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

We use an Imer 360 indoors to mix our sub. Id never mix the Purina indoors.

Ian -- its finer then any soy flour or brewers yeast we've used. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

We use an Imer 360 indoors to mix our sub. Id never mix the Purina indoors.
    Nor this BeePollenate, the fine texture is very dusty. But the pulverized grain is very important.

Question - a figure of 80% chicken blood has been mentioned but where is that confirmed by Purina?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Dried poultry blood is on list of ingredients

Yes but it doesn't say 80%, is that stated somewhere?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast