Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts

Definitely NOT going to be feeding spray dried poultry blood to my bees!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Yeah it looks like it would be a good product however their site keeps throwing my browser a weird error and I can't log back onto it. I really just wanted to see the weight of the bag, hoping it was at least 50# for that $90 price tag.
    It is a 40 pound bag. No apparent discount for larger orders.

Jean-Marc

Seeing the interest in this product what am I missing? Are you people seriously considering using this to feed your honey bees?
    Proverbs 16:24

$90 a bag isnít far off
    As long as it mixes into a patty, per lbs wet is good

Blood probably does have a lot of goodies in it that bees could use.

But in my view it would be a bad thing if this became widely used. At some point it will get into the public domain that bees are fed blood, and it's not going to help honey sales or general perceptions of bees and beekeepers.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I'm a newbie, so very inexperienced, but I don't get the concern over allowing the bees to feed off a "gross" product. If the bees choose to feed from it, and it isn't harming them, then I would go for it. Especially if it's cost effective and easy to use and doesn't breed SHB. The water my bees choose to drink from is usually the grossest, nastiest dish available to them. I don't like touching it and would never drink it myself.
    Anyone done any experiments with chicken blood? I wonder if bees would take up from a pool of chicken blood?

There will be a lot of people don't care. But there will be some who do find it offensive and go yuck, I'm never buying honey again. I think that would be quite a few people but let's say it only 20%. Honey prices are bad enough now there must be some struggling commercials already, remove 20% of the market and it's Houston we have a problem.

I belive bees getting fed dried blood will offend the sensibilities of some people and Purina must have figured that, I'm surprised they even put such a product on the market.

I would urge beekeepers to boycott the product and do the industry a favor.

Especially if it shows up in my country where honey is niche marketed overseas and fetches good money based on the perception of clean green and pure New Zealand, people buy cos they like the sound of that. Then they here there might be dried chicken blood, don't have to be a genius to realise that is not going to work for us.

If the product ever does come here to NZ I'll be doing my darndest to stop people buying it, so take that on board Purina. That's if it is not killed in America before it even gets toi other countries.

Agreed, OldTimer. My wife and I had the same reaction-disgust.
    As far as economical- Mann Lake delivered their top of the line Ultra Bee dry 1500 lbs tote (during the last sale) for $1598.00. 30 bags worth @ $53.26 per 50 lbs.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Especially if it shows up in my country where honey is niche marketed overseas and fetches good money... .
    Maybe this will just be a refinement to the niche market and actually increase prices for your honey. Easy marketing: "No chicken blood was used in the feeding of our bees".

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Attachment 36791

What they sent me and some mixing instructions
    56% protein; The first ingredient is distiller yeast which is about 30%, dried blood meal is around 80%. It looks like it would need to be a 50/50 mix to get that percent. The rest is vitamins and mineral, with the exception of wheat flower which is worthless.

I wonder how many years of feeding before they develop a taste for blood? Stinging blood sucking vampire bees!

Im with you OldTimer; I associate blood with carnivorous animal; honey bees aren’t carnivorous like some other types of bees are. I think this is a way the big company, namely Purina, is going for more big bucks at the exspense the honey bee. Hopefully there will be an uproar about this.
    Proverbs 16:24

protein is protein
    Why do people freeze drone comb and then put it back for mite control?
    because the bees will eat the dead pupa and recycle the protein back in to jelly
    animal by products are common in live stock feed so I don't see a ligimite issue here....

but a PR/social meada one... ya, should be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Im with you OldTimer; I associate blood with carnivorous animal; honey bees aren’t carnivorous like some other types of bees are.
    Hmmm .... honey bees eat bee eggs and larva. Seems like that makes them not only carnivores, but cannibals!

When protein levels drop, nurse bees neglect young larvae, and preferentially feed those close to being capped. When protein levels drop lower, nurses cannibalize eggs and middle aged larvae. The protein in this cannibalized brood is recycled back into jelly.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-1/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    protein is protein
    animal by products are common in live stock feed so I don't see a ligimite issue here.

That's where I have been while i read this thread. I don't have a use for it on my little hobby farm, but i also don't have a problem with it as a product others use. I mean, if nothing else, it is a way to use more of the by-products of chicken farming, so it is actually a conservationist move. Well done Purina.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Public perception can be very powerful in controlling what farmers do. Look at GMO's. In the retail market public perception becomes reality.

Purina is trying to add value to a 'waste'/low value product. I don't think they will start producing chickens solely for the purpose of harvesting blood. I wonder about blood from other meat animals?

I guess blood sausage/pudding is not a very common dish in the US. Is it still widely eaten in europe?

Tom

I see they are giving out samples but only if you have over 1000 hives

I understand public perception of a product and what people might find offensive, and everyone's opinion about their specific situation or personal convictions is good for debate. I don't ever tell my honey customers about how my bees, for whatever reason under the sun, like to go to the neighbor's stock pens and drink water from hoof prints left in the manure. I'm also not a fan of blood, I remember my grandparents cooking blood sausage when I was a kid and the thought of the smell makes my lunch want to come up.

There's plenty of gross stuff that we eat; eyeballs, monkey meat, chocolate covered bugs, tripe, hot dogs (mystery meat) and although its gross it has nutritional content. My point being that even though something in this feed is contrary to some of our sensibilities the mix is high in protein and is not going to harm the bees. It honestly does look like a decent product with a bit of what I would consider a high price tag. Im not commercial and I don't feed pollen sub. I don't plan on using it but if they sent me a sample I would

Here's the mixing instructions they sent:
    Hearty Bee Patty Directions.jpg
    Hearty Bee Liquid Directions.jpg
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

To those who don't have a problem with it, realise it's not about whether you have a problem with it.

It's about whether some of the honey buying customers have a problem with it, and trust me, some of them will. All honey will be tainted in the minds of some.

Honey costs a lot more than sugar and people only buy stuff with honey cos they have warm fuzzy images of bees, and folks see it as wholesome. That could all be set to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To those who don't have a problem with it, realise it's not about whether you have a problem with it.

It's about whether some of the honey buying customers have a problem with it, and trust me, some of them will. All honey will be tainted in the minds of some.

Honey costs a lot more than sugar and people only buy stuff with honey cos they have warm fuzzy images of bees, and folks see it as wholesome. That could all be set to change.
    I'm with you. The subjective perception of some will be negative and with social networks amplifying the opinion and social pressure of an early minority may become viral and massify to much more.

Haha yeah I understand that one. Just from the comments here I would think that their PR dept better be on their toes

Thinking back, I did make pollen sub once (have to try everything once) and most of the ingredients for the sub came from the health food store. So for $50 I had nowhere near 40# of dry mixable feed, more like 15# of dry feed. I asked the commercial near me about it and he invited me to help put on pollen sub and treat before he migrated to his yard in California for almonds. His sub came in boxes, premade.

Maybe $90 isnt too bad, its just not something in my management routine because there is typically a lot of elm pollen early spring here. Ninety two pounds of patty from one bag doesnt sound too bad but I dont know what the weight of the typical pollen patty is for reference.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast