Spices etc in Honey

Default Spices etc in Honey

Not sure if this is federal or state (in the US) but how do i find out the real deal on adding ingredients to honey? i want to sell several different spiced honey flavors including possibly chocolate creamed honey but I've gotten conflicting answers as to whether or not that makes them a different level of food product.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Spices etc in Honey

This may not be exactly what you are looking for...
    I don't have the link to the FDA rules, but if you add anything, regardless of the amount, to honey, then you can no longer call it honey. It becomes a HONEY PRODUCT. The labeling must include a list of ingredients, and the name can not mislead the public in to thinking it is pure honey. Something like "Chocolate flavored Honey", but can not be "Chocolate Honey".

The rules go into great details on how to label the product, where on the label the name of the product, ingredient list, the manufacturer, size, etc.

Google FDA food labeling guide. There are sections specific to honey.

This is helpful, thanks. I am concerned about the legality of selling it, too. You know: we can sell all we want to the end consumer without any special regulation. If I add a spice, do I need a certified facility and/or permit? This may be covered on a state level.

I know in some states that if you add anything to honey you have to process it in a commecial type health department inspected kitchen. I wish I could remember the state that I saw the rules in cause I would post a link but can only say that I know I read it recently.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

A BIG factor is state law and Every one is different.

Very strict here in Pa , we can't add anything to it without a food license , we can't even sell pure honey off site without a inspection and license

I've reached out to some folks here in Georgia. If I find out anything conclusive, I'll post it.

IL honey house inspection rules are very specific about honey being in an unaltered state to fall outside the department's "inspection/regulation" jurisdiction.

(c) If a producer is engaged in the sale of honey that is
    left in the comb or removed from the comb in an unadulterated
    condition at a local market and packs or sells less than 500
    gallons of honey produced in this State per year, then the
    Department may not regulate or inspect the producer's honey
    house.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw