Can honey cure autism?

Default Can honey cure autism?

My son has been recently diagnosed with autism. My sister told me that if I put honey in my son's food, he'd get cured. But, I'm not sure if she's right. What are your thoughts about this? (Parental tips and coping strategies are also very much welcomed!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can honey cure autism?

OK, folks, please note that this thread is in the "Coffee Klatch" forum.

Whatever your opinion is, keep your responses civil, otherwise they will be deleted.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Zone 6b: 18 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I'm sorry, but no. It can't. Wish it could.

Best thing to do is read all t he books by Temple Grandin that you can get your hands on. LOTS of good info in those books from someone that knows what she is talking about.
    I don't believe the honey will cure autism, sounds like something from the dark ages.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Very neat paper. I was just reading yesterday on this site about honey's ability to cure lyme disease. I may sound uneducated. But what is Manuka Honey?

Quote Originally Posted by CLSranch View Post
    Very neat paper. I was just reading yesterday on this site about honey's ability to cure lyme disease. I may sound uneducated. But what is Manuka Honey?
    Manuka honey is produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the native manuka bush.

And no, I think there is virtually no chance it will cure autism, but I also doubt it will hurt.
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

Autism is passed down genetically, it is how your son is wired to think. It is a spectrum disorder, so some are affected to different degrees. If your son is high functioning the best thing you can do to help him is teach him to recognize typical emotions in people, to read people, and self control. With those skills he will do great, develop the hyperfocusing into a great work ethic. That said everyone is different, but you cant cure him from it no more than you can cure blue eyes or red hair.

Here is Temple's website: http://www.templegrandin.com/
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Blackowl,
    My youngest son is High functioning autistic, and he has consumed great quantities of honey over the years with no change. Parenting tips, Its a marathon, depending on his functioning, autism exhibits very differently from one individual to the next. It used to be expressed as a number of deviations from the norm. From a parents point of view consider it that each child has special needs and individual ways they understand and interact with the world. If you find your not getting your teachings thru to the child, back off and change your method, eventually most of us find they have strengths and weaknesses and you can use the strengths to help them understand the world.
    Find a support group, someone has been where you are and can answer the questions you have. And if your like me you will have lots over the course of time.
    Best wishes,
    Bruce

My sister is fond of those power healing techniques so that's probably why she suggested honey. But I do know that honey is a really powerful ingredient. It can cure extensive diseases that you never knew it could cure.

Thank you Hogback Honey for the link. I will start reading articles on that website now to educate myself.

By the way ABRuce, did you consider trying parent counseling after learning that your youngest son has autism? I am just starting and it is really tough for me already. Especially that my husband is not with us because of work.

As far as I know Autism is not a disease and there's no medicine for that. It is a condition that needs special care and attention such as therapy and strategic learning.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...etogenic-diets

this link refers to something I remember hearing about a while back. A person I know tried it on his boy ( he was pretty low functioning), he saw improvements but am not sure if they stuck to the diet, it may have been too inconvenient for them