ABJ article, page 1148 , "It is the Mites because"
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default ABJ article, page 1148 , "It is the Mites because"

I agree with the contents, and can add more detail. What have you seen this year?

Roland Diehnelt
    Linden Apiary

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ABJ article, page 1148 , "It is the Mites because"

My digital subscription expired, just renewed but waiting on the details... but I'm blaming it on mites.

Mites are definitely problem number one here. But we don’t have the kind of agriculture that uses any sort of large scale pesticide application. I can’t speak to those areas of the country where the agricultural situation is different.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I agree with the contents, and can add more detail. What have you seen this year?

Roland Diehnelt
    Linden Apiary
    I disagree with the contents.
    Neonic bashing is become a band-wagon fad.
    Mites and their vectored viruses are problem #1 and nothing even comes close.
    Nutrition is #2
    Genetics is #3
    Etc............
    Somewhere down the list is pesticides.
    If your bees are right next door to someone irresponsibly applying a pesticide against the label, then that is your #1 problem.
    But in that case, the problem is the applicator, NOT the product.
    I have been hit a number of times by pesticide application issues in my 26 years of beekeeping. Rarely.
    Mites are every day, every week, every month, every year.
    And they are slowly winning the battle with many operations.
    Taking our eyes off the real problems and blaming the boogyman does not help anyone.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Very well put Harry could not say it any better than that

Quote Originally Posted by liljake83 View Post
    Very well put Harry could not say it any better than that
    Ditto!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    I disagree with the contents.
    Neonic bashing is become a band-wagon fad.
    Mites and their vectored viruses are problem #1 and nothing even comes close.
    Nutrition is #2
    Genetics is #3
    Etc............
    Somewhere down the list is pesticides.
    If your bees are right next door to someone irresponsibly applying a pesticide against the label, then that is your #1 problem.
    But in that case, the problem is the applicator, NOT the product.
    I have been hit a number of times by pesticide application issues in my 26 years of beekeeping. Rarely.
    Mites are every day, every week, every month, every year.
    And they are slowly winning the battle with many operations.
    Taking our eyes off the real problems and blaming the boogyman does not help anyone.
    Very well put Harry
    Too many boogeyman believers

Exactly what I see here in MS.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Well, paid for my renewal, still awaiting the login details, but I would agree with Harry as well. Generally mites are my number one issue as I'm looking for tolerance or resistance and tend to treat late. Next issue is our falls have been relatively warmer and longer than typical, so the bees are burning through stores before what winter we have hits. Our forage is poor or non-existent during this time as well for the most part so I'm seeing lack of feed as my number 2 culprit as far as losses though. On the pesticides issue, I don't really see any, even though most of my bees are living in orchards right now. But, on a sidenote, in the TF FB group, there seem to be a lot of pesticide kills happening in November....... anyone have any opinions on that SS1 bacteria or whatever it's called as well? I haven't really given it much thought one way or another as of yet.

Mites here have been at insane levels for the past two years. Both my yards are within throwing distance of cultivated fields, I've never had a problem with pesticide kill. I've spoken to the commercial in my area and he said the same thing about the numbers of mites he's had to deal with the past few years. They are definitely my problem number one and always have been.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Pesticide kills in November, ... um ... thatís the boogieman

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Pesticide kills in November, ... um ... that’s the boogieman
    Yep. Boogieman destructor
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

My bees are surrounded by the great small grain desert with islands of legumes and minor amounts of tree and shrub honey. I know dicamba and roundup are used all around me. Neonicitinoids used all around me on all the pulse crops and canola ect. Life is good as long as I kill mites when required. Apivar is now inneffective. Apiguard on strong hives and vape OA are keeping my mite levels very low.

Hmmmmm... Thank you for all of your comments. I am glad you are not having any spray issues.

Our situation is much like that in the article. We get excited when we find even a few mites in a hive, and see zero vectored viruses. We do see spray planes and dead bees. Spray rigs in 15-20 MPH winds, and dead bees. Spray operators that argue that it is OK to spray when the crop or weeds are in bloom. A commercial spray operation that sprays every other year of soybean pests, and loose entire yards every other year.

How do you explain a situation where, everything else being equal, the hive numbers in a many yards go up by 2.5x and make honey, and in many yards make very little honey and are all dead(and that is where we see the plane)?

Crazy Roland

It's not that there are no pesticide kills. They do happen and probably always will.

Just, when I first started working for a commercial beekeeper, 46 years ago now, pesticide kills were a regular feature. Issue was the types of poison, methods of application, and lack of any education at all for many of the people using them.

Now, pesticide issues are so rare where I am at least, that I have not seen a hive affected by pesticide for many years. Things ARE better.

The issue I have with the Let's Ban It brigade, is they are driven by emotion and are almost universally ignorant, they would not know a neonic from a DDT. These folks have their place in keeping things in check, but please don't let them thrust us back into the dark ages.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

roland, are you any closer to identifying the culprit? are your state authorities lending a hand?

I’m pretty much in agreement with Harry as well but we also took a pretty good hit from almond spray this past year. We also saw some really peculiar losses through the summer but viruses are suspect number 1 for me simply because the losses didn’t correlate at all with the areas where row cropping was the heaviest.
    BTW, Roland I’m curious as to what you base your statement on that you see “zero vectored viruses”.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Vance, i'm seeing some hives where Apivar didn't do much either.... guess I need to rotate in some OA...

I test my hives every year, there is a back ground level of the common viruses
    Now my neighbour who had a mite problem found terrific viral loads

To my thinking, if you are doing everything within your power to keep your bees healthy, yet you continue to experience unsustainable losses. And you are unequivocally certain that those losses stem from the activities of others, over whom you have no control. Your cause, to me, appears hopeless.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast