Can you feed to much Pollen sub ?

Default Can you feed to much Pollen sub ?

Been feeding pollen sub in an open feeder for quite a while now. Our weather is still in the 60's and 70's and the bees love the sub. Is there any draw backs to feeding them all they want or should I cut the feeding back. I am also open feeding sugar water they are slow to take the sugar water up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can you feed to much Pollen sub ?

Absolutely, you can feed too much pollen. I don't know your climate well enough to say when you should stop feeding pollen sub, but I'm sure someone else does. Remember, pollen is used by bees to make royal jelly for feeding to larva.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Been feeding pollen sub in an open feeder for quite a while now. Our weather is still in the 60's and 70's and the bees love the sub. Is there any draw backs to feeding them all they want or should I cut the feeding back. I am also open feeding sugar water they are slow to take the sugar water up.
    I do not know if you can feed to much pollen but like you our bees are brooding all year long and just slow down during the winter, mostly due to no pollen to make royal jelly to feed larva. I was going to feed pollen this year and would like to feed "open" and let my bees get what they wanted/needed. How are you feeding? Thanks.

I am feeding pollen in a old open brood box under a shed, I put the brood box on a bottom board. I then put a shallow pan inside with the sub in it, there is no top on the box. I am feeding sugar syrup in a old hog style feeder with styrofoam floating in it.

I don't think its an issue in a populous hive. They will pack it away till needed. I have seen in deadouts that pollen will mold quickly so as long as the hive is healthy and dry it should be fine.
    Terrence