varroa heat treatment? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: varroa heat treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Did you do a sugar or alcohol wash before the treatment? Did you conduct Mike drop counts before the treatment? How will we know if this is effective or not? Thank you for posting. J
    No, I do not do any type of wash before treatment. Yes, I am treating for varroa mites but I am also treating for hive beetles and any potential wax moths or their larva. I have attached the lastest mite kill showing the immediate mite drop upon the end of the thermal treatment which takes 150 minutes. The mite drop continues for several days after the treatment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks live oak
    please keep us informed... Nothing like actual experience to see if something has a real chance of working.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Our local club here in Florida just purchased two units for the members to use.The plan is to try to get some pre treatment and post treatment mite counts along with long term weekly or monthly counts also. The units are designed to work with one brood box although a second temp sensor can also be used for double brood boxes. One drawback is the honey supers need to be removed for the duration of the treatment but since it is chemical free they can go right back on when done.

Varroa mites are the dangerous enemy of honey bees. It weakens the bees and eventually kills them. My neighbor does beekeeping and has faced an infestation of these harmful mites. He has used a special screened bottom board with a sticky floor. This approach did not eliminate the mites but kept their numbers down to an acceptable level. But after few days his beehives were infested again, this time badly. Analysing the urgency, my neighbor decided to consult pest inspection Davis exterminators to help him protect his honey bees.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacJohnson View Post
    Analysing the urgency, my neighbor decided to consult pest inspection Davis exterminators to help him protect his honey bees.
    .... and ?

(what's the rest of the story ?)
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

They performed the thermal treatment.

I have finish treating my hives. I believe it was 78 in all. I put just over 55 hours on my Honda EU2000i generator performing all of the treatments. A few hives had really heavy mite drops but most were pretty moderate. On average I I believe I killed about 75 small hive beetles per hive. I have tried a LOT of things to control SHB's and NOTHING I have tried has ever worked as well as the Mite Mite Killer. I am observing the hives in my apiary to see how they respond over time to these treatments and I will post what I observe.

"I believe I killed about 75 small hive beetles per hive" I didn't see that in the pictures. I'm not impressed with the mite drop, my OAV treatments kill mites, but SHB are the scourge of the southern bee keeper. I put $40 oil trays on every hive and nuc to maintain some control. If you killed 75 hive beetles in a single treatment, it's WELL WORTH THE MONEY, TIME AND EFFORT.
    Not that I don't trust you, I'm going to buy one and a generator based on your comment, but I sure would love to see a picture with a bunch of SHB.

Have you had a lot of brood die? I would think it would kill all the brood. Frankly it would be worth it. Imagine if you could kill all the SHB in your yard. Over time you could reduce the population. I'm really excited about this. I've only got 14 hives. Anyway to make it work on a nuc? I've got 16 nucs and with fewer bees, are more subsectable to SHB attack.

Thanks Live oak, I would never have tried this without your reports. Please keep us informed, I'll add my reports once I get one and get a generator.
    Thanks again.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

I was just looking and beehivethermalindustries now has one for a five frame nuc. I am thinking of investing in one for eight frame hives. Should I? Any advice is appreciated.

I just got 6 of them sent to me and I tried them on that last warm day we had and they seem to work well. I got a moderate mite drop and killed a good number of SHB's. These units are designed primarily to treat a single nuc box but I was able to reach treatment temperature on my doubles and triples. Now that colder weather has set in, I have been condensing the nucs down to doubles and singles. If you wrap the nuc in some type of insulation, you should be able to treat them in temperatures below 70 degrees F maybe down into the 60's but you may encounter some timed out warm up cycles at these temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskie View Post
    I remember reading about it a few years back that you have to keep breaking the cluster, as a cluster of bees will regulate their temperature to not let it get that hot.
    This is the main problem when processing inside the hive. I tried this, but the effect, it seemed to me, was small: I used this procedure mainly for the forced last fly-by before winter. And, in my opinion, heat injection from above is more correct than from below, to use typical ventilation of the bees themselves, which blow from the top down.
    In Russia, processing in the hive is rarely used, much more often processing in special cassettes, where bees are placed, and these cassettes in special heated boxes. Only in this case, according to supporters of this method, there are no clusters of bees and almost 100% of the result can be achieved.
    Here, you may watch the video, although in Russian language, but the person speaks very little, much more is seen from the film itself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIQMb6Gq0s

At the forum, where heat treatment is discussed, they told the story (http://www.pchelovod.info/index.php?...post&p=2617919) that the beekeeper, who has no more than 30 hives, when he had not yet done the full heat treatment of the apiary, had already accumulated 1/3 of the mites in the bucket, like, that's how well it works!

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    .... and ?

(what's the rest of the story ?)
    LJ
    Out of my experience, those "pest control" people way too often don't know a difference between honey bees, yellow jackets, or most any wasps.
    Too much time wasted going places to remove "honey bees" because pest control people were just..... well, dumb.
    They should carry a pocket book for dummies for a quick reference. Or something...

Control mites? Gosh, better off just doing it yourself best you can.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Varroa do fine in the south because the bees know how to do evaporative cooling with water and fanning. Lived in Albuquerque for 10 years, many 106F days, but the swamp cooler on the roof cooled the house to 80f with just evaporating water.

The mites continue to fall for 12 days, because the mites on capped brood die but don't fall until the bee hatches out. They keep hatching out for 12 days after the treatment is done!

I used The Victor many times. It heats from the top, which allows the queen to go to the lower super which is cooler, and protect the sperm she is carrying. The bees must evaporate water to cool the hive, and they were successful for a short while (10 min.) so we added an entrance reducer. That inhibited the cooling process enough for the heater to raise the temperature to 106F and keep it there for 150 min. The nurse bees seem to stay over the brood at the end of the treatment, but the older foragers beard on the outside of the hive. Still, most of the mites are capped with brood or on nurse bees so treatment did its job. Four times the normal mite drop the day of treatment, and continued mite drop for 12 days as the brood hatched out and cleaned out the mites that died during the treatment but were trapped under the cap until their host hatched out.

In the last picture you have a lot of dead bees. You must be using the Mighty Mite Killer, and not The Victor. Heating from the bottom up leaves the older bees with harder shells no where to go to get relief from the heat. Heating from the top down gets the nurse bees that won't leave the brood and can take the heat because their shells have not hardened yet. The older bees can exit the hive and beard on the front until the treatment is over, but since most of the mites are on capped brood and the nurse bees most of the mites get killed anyways. The heat permeates the capped brood and kills the mites on the brood as well as the mites on the nurse bees without harming the brood.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeehives View Post
    In the last picture you have a lot of dead bees. You must be using the Mighty Mite Killer, and not The Victor. Heating from the bottom up leaves the older bees with harder shells no where to go to get relief from the heat. Heating from the top down gets the nurse bees that won't leave the brood and can take the heat because their shells have not hardened yet. The older bees can exit the hive and beard on the front until the treatment is over, but since most of the mites are on capped brood and the nurse bees most of the mites get killed anyways. The heat permeates the capped brood and kills the mites on the brood as well as the mites on the nurse bees without harming the brood.
    ok,
    i've spent 3 years of testing the mighty mite killer. by using a bottom slide in entrance we draw ambient air in and keep plenty of oxygen for the bees. temperature rises so this perfect and our system gives one a perfect 106F thru out the hive body, and with a positive air flow you have no harm to the eggs or capped brood. the capped brood with mites are terminated and in 3-4 days the bees smell the decomposing mites and remove this contaminated larvae. Our system for accuracy has two solid state sensors, one in the thermal belt, another that is placed in the hive body this gives us plus or minus 2 tenths of a degree accuracy. The idea that one can use fans and circulate an accurate and even heat from the top of the hive defys all engineering principals. BHTI soon will be posting independent studies confirming our own studies. We are continuing to test and finding that new opportunities & information will be made available in 2019 that will change how we raise our bees. it's very exciting that testing shows we can terminate the re-productive mite in the hive body and soon to include the phoretic mites ( which live of the bees body fats ) in two additional honey supers. More coming in 2019 to learn more from 600 customers join our facebook page Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Users.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2757...?ref=bookmarks

Reminds me of that YouTube video with IR photography of a bee colony defending against a giant asian hornet. They clustered around it, built up the internal temp of the cluster to around 110 (if I recall correctly), killing the hornet.

6-15-18 Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Case Study_.pdf This study was just published. I have used the device to treat my 31 hives and have been very happy with the results, my fall and winter bee population and health has been the best we have had.

Quote Originally Posted by newbeek79 View Post
    6-15-18 Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Case Study_.pdf This study was just published. I have used the device to treat my 31 hives and have been very happy with the results, my fall and winter bee population and health has been the best we have had.
    we have a local beek that said the same thing, did you do a mite wash b/4 you started and then after the capped brood would have hatched to see if it was effective?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast