varroa heat treatment?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default varroa heat treatment?

Anyone have any experience with this technique?

www.greenbeehives.com/thevictor.html
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The link sends me to the beesource forum index page

Default Re: varroa heat treatment?

Interesting concept. I would not invest in this company however.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedghawg View Post
    The link sends me to the beesource forum index page
    ??? I watched a few minutes of the video. They lost me at a 2.5 hour treatment per hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this technique?

www.greenbeehives.com/thevictor.html
    Why waste money ? Get an OAV gadget instead. If 106F for two hours kills the varroa, how come varroa infestation goes up in August, even in southern states ?

Whether this particular device design works as claimed is not something I can say. But there is some substance to the concept of heat-treating varroa ...
    https://projects.sare.org/sare_proje...6-066/?ar=1996
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/figh...al-tactics-ii/
    http://www.mitezapper.com/The-Advantage_c_1.html
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...a_mite_control
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

a friend of mine bought a similar piece of equipment, except it worked off of 110, he hasn't said if it worked yet. I went to the sales pitch, one of the potential problems was, all the testing was done down south, and they expected that everyone was using one deep for brood chambers, so this might work for Ian but they weren't sure what would happen to hives that were bigger than 1 deep, and or had honey supers on it, also it wouldn't work with solar panels. If my friend reports his results, I'll see if I can find this thread again and post.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

So there should be no mites in Arizona or south Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by sr4440 View Post
    maybe that's why the Lubies and Weavers don't have mite problems
    mike syracuse ny

I remember reading about it a few years back that you have to keep breaking the cluster, as a cluster of bees will regulate their temperature to not let it get that hot. Outside temps might reach those temps, but the bees are doing their best to cool that cluster to normal temperatures. I also remember something about incubating capped brood (without adhering bees), but don't remember the details. For someone who has the time to manipulate the hive every couple of days, incubating the brood could serve a double purpose of speeding hive growth and reducing mite load, assuming it actually works.

Herb,
    This thread is a testament to the adage that if you ask ten beekeepers you'll get twelve answers. I think it is safe to say that none of the people answering you have any experience with heat treatment for varroa, which as I read it was your question. Still have answers though. (Insert rolling my eyes emoji here).

Thanks for the feedback. I came across this on Amazon and it piqued my interest. 2.5 hours per brood box is unsustainable if one's operation reaches any scale at all.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

While at the Tennessee Beekeepers Conference in Cookeville this year I decided to try something similar to what you all are discussing in this thread. I purchased 3 of the Mity Mite Killer systems.

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/shop/

I have not gotten around to testing them yet as I have been busy winterizing my apiary. This system runs off of 110 ac power so I purchased a Honda EU 2000 inverter generator. Once I have gotten caught up and got everything together and tested this equipment on several hives, I will post my results and thoughts. If it works, it was definitely worth trying out and if not, Lynn Williams told me he would refund my money. In theory this type of treatement makes sense but in application Murphy is always hard at work buggering up the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Whether this particular device design works as claimed is not something I can say. But there is some substance to the concept of heat-treating varroa ...
    https://projects.sare.org/sare_proje...6-066/?ar=1996
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/figh...al-tactics-ii/
    http://www.mitezapper.com/The-Advantage_c_1.html
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...a_mite_control
    I agree. There is substance to the concept, but these products all seem to have lengthy time intervals for treatment. If this concept developed into some type of "flash" heat treatment, it might be more practical for those with more than 10+ hives.

As to varroa surviving in 106+ degree southern climates, the bees will cool their hives in these climates to maintain a hive temperature below the external temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    While at the Tennessee Beekeepers Conference in Cookeville this year I decided to try something similar to what you all are discussing in this thread. I purchased 3 of the Mity Mite Killer systems.

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/shop/

I have not gotten around to testing them yet as I have been busy winterizing my apiary. This system runs off of 110 ac power so I purchased a Honda EU 2000 inverter generator. Once I have gotten caught up and got everything together and tested this equipment on several hives, I will post my results and thoughts. If it works, it was definitely worth trying out and if not, Lynn Williams told me he would refund my money. In theory this type of treatement makes sense but in application Murphy is always hard at work buggering up the works.
    Cool. I will be waiting to hear what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by sr4440 View Post
    Bees regulate the inside temp, if it's hot they fan nectar to cool the hive and circulate air. In order to increase inside temp the hive needs to be sealed to prevent the bees from doing this. It does not take much to overheat a hive, break comb, kill brood. 2.5 hours I would think they would suffocate with out air. There are lots of varying factors that can effect the hive ability to regulate the temp.

Seems to me there would be too many things that could go wrong in the field that could cause this to be either ineffective or destructive.

As someone else said just OVA them. At least until you can add enough mite resistance in your apiary. There are many big projects working on this right now, IMO it won't be much longer until we will be done with this mite fad.

I am in my 2nd week of using the Mitey Mite Killer I purchased from Lynn Williams at the TBA Conference in Cookeville, TN. I am getting an initial mite drop on the Mitey Mite Killer heat plates in the range of 2 dozen and in some hives more. The treatment takes a bit of time (3 hours for a single deep, 3.5 hours for double deep boxes) but is designed to treat the larva in the capped cells as well.

A side benefit is that it kills the hive beetles, any wax moths or their larva, and tracheal mites. Any small hive beetles that manage to get out of the hive end up on the plastic closer under the bottom board screen which makes them easy targets to kill when you remove the plastic closer board in my experience. The treatment primarily targets the brood but the bees that exit the hive during treatment I have found groom each other as I have noted a mite drop on the heat plate portion that is outside the entrance where the bees beard up.

This is where I purchased mine.

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/

They currently have 8 & 10 frame units but I am hearing they plan to have nucleus hive units available sometime in October.

The effort involved in the treatment is about the same as applying Apivar in my opinion. My hives are located too far from line power to run an extension cord so I use a generator. I have found that in our case, the most efficient way to conduct the treatment is running 6 units at the same time on a Honda EU2000i or EU2200i Converter Generator which is about the maximum continuous safe load these generators can support being the Honda EU2000i is rated for 1600 watts. (each Mitey Mite Killer unit draw approximately 225-250 watts) I put the generator in Eco mode so it is much quieter and uses less gas. I have my hives arranged in groups of 6 and depending upon when I get started can do 12 hives per day without pushing hard. I believe I could do 18 hives per day if I really pushed it. If you are treating just a few hives at a time, the Honda EU1000i Inverter Generator would do just fine. The cheap Harbor Freight generators will work as long as they can produce the required output.

I use a 50 ft. 12 gauge extension cord with a multi-plug adapter on the end so I can plug in all of my units.

Once I have completed treatment of all of my hives, (approximate 80) I will post my observations and any of items I think may be of help to others who may decide to give it a try.

Did you do a sugar or alcohol wash before the treatment? Did you conduct Mike drop counts before the treatment? How will we know if this is effective or not? Thank you for posting. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Did you do a sugar or alcohol wash before the treatment? Did you conduct Mike drop counts before the treatment? How will we know if this is effective or not? Thank you for posting. J
    my question also. and are you going to do a wash after?
    mike syracuse ny

Right now the wife and I are busier than a 3 legged cat in a sand box. I just don't have time for that right now. Once I have all of the hives run through the first treatment I will start checking mite count. Perhaps if I get some time on a few hives here and there I may. What I can do is place a plastic congregated closer board under the screened bottom boards on some the hives that I treat. The mite drop does not happen immediately in any appreciable amounts. The follow 2 to 3 days tells the story and the total mite drop. The nurse bees should be removing brood that has been infested with mites as well. I am still working to get a good work rhythm and get organized with respect to streamlining all of the steps in the treatment as well as any modifications that I think may help speed things up. This mid to upper 90 degree heat and humidity is tough to work in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast