Has anyone used these for mason jar feeding?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Has anyone used these for mason jar feeding?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Has anyone used these for mason jar feeding?

Just poked some holes in the top myself. The only time 0> $7:75.

Hmmm, seems gimmicky. Just buy a regular pack of lids and poke a few holes, bees doing that for years.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

One of the guys uses spent 22 cal casings soldered in a mason jar lid and a small hole drilled in the end, same general idea and swears by his method.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Aiannar974, despite the skeptics posting above, no less a beekeeper luminary than Randy Oliver uses feeders with a similar tip.

Here is Randy's page where the original image is: http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-3/

One benefit to a small tip like that is that only an [almost] equally small hole needs to be drilled into your woodenware to use the feeder.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Aiannar974, despite the skeptics posting above, no less a beekeeper luminary than Randy Oliver uses feeders with a similar tip

From the same article:

For the hobbyist, I suggest feeding with inverted quart to gallon jars (a quart a day is plenty) with a few holes punched in the center of the lid (hole size is not critical, but by using only a few small holes you help to regulate the feeding rate). Then make a simple dedicated feeder lid out of scrap wood, with a hole in the center smaller than your feeder jar lid (but larger than your hole pattern). Set your nice hive cover to the side, and temporarily use the board with the hole through it while you’re feeding. The only time that a hobbyist may have to feed when he/she is starting a colony on foundation.
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/imag...tion/fb3-8.jpg
    -- Joe

If one is considering using a scrap wood lid as a temporary cover for a feeder, evaluate whether the flat board alone even comes close to respecting 'bee space'. Boxes from different manufacturers may have the frame rest area set a different depth than other manufacturers, so its difficult to make a blanket statement.

If you put on just a flat board as a cover, look to see how much space there will be between that temporary cover and the top of the frames when the lid is in place. If there isn't 'bee space' (1/4- to 5/16-inch) when the lid is on, the bees may decide to propolize the lid in place. Gluing some thin shims around the edge where they would rest on the box below and raise the lid a bit is one solution to that issue.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I use the set up like Randy's and this product. I can drill a 1/4" hole in the top of a migratory cover and the bees propolis it when I am not feeding. I have used brass plumbing fittings (like Randy) and I have also used weed wacker fuel line (11/32" maybe?).

So where can I get some of these nipples for my next mason jar
    little project?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

psm1212 - How do you secure the fuel line? Do you silicone it in?

I used fired casings from 22LR cartridges and soldered them to the lids. The solder is the weakest link so I may need to figure out how to attache them more securely to the lid.

They work, theyre meant for migratory covers. I way to feed "inside" the hive without making a big hole or opening the hive.

Yes, stupidity to the majority and rocks for logic for others. What 1 are you?

I can see some merit to it. We use a queen castle set up with four apartments, and at the moment, each board for covering the apartments has a large hole cut out for a feeder jar. We have to cover these with a scrap of wood when no feeder is used. When we change feeders, bees pour out. Pain in the butt sometimes.

The small nipple would let us feed thru a small hole, possibly small enough that bees can't get thru it, and at least small enough we could close it with a small cork or plug.

Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    I used fired casings from 22LR cartridges and soldered them to the lids. The solder is the weakest link so I may need to figure out how to attache them more securely to the lid.
    I'd avoid any lead-based solder for this. Aren't mason jar lids coated with plastic inside?

I'm kinda fond of JB Weld epoxy. If worried about contamination, you could use a food grade epoxy, which I think some people have used for repairing honey processing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    I can see some merit to it. We use a queen castle set up with four apartments, and at the moment, each board for covering the apartments has a large hole cut out for a feeder jar. We have to cover these with a scrap of wood when no feeder is used. When we change feeders, bees pour out. Pain in the butt sometimes.

The small nipple would let us feed thru a small hole, possibly small enough that bees can't get thru it, and at least small enough we could close it with a small cork or plug.

This should be the advert's tagline. Very nicely explained.
    -- Joe

I use 1/4" sprinkler line, just drill the hole a bit smaller then the tube, cut the tube at an angle and pull it threw with some plyers

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974 View Post
    psm1212 - How do you secure the fuel line? Do you silicone it in?
    Looked in my shop for exact dimensions. The tubing has a 3/16" Outer Dimension. I drill a 1/8" hole and force the 3/16" plastic tubing through it. It seals tight. No need for silicone or any type of sealant. I am attaching pictures of the line and a finished lid. I recommend using the wide-mouthed lids for better stability than the regular mouth jars and lids.
    E38F41B7-BC09-4DA6-A8E0-2B6D6893FF3F.jpgF880C29B-BB5C-4147-9B25-0883B95FD017.jpg

We made some like this by soldering tubing on to the jar lids in the early 60's drilled holes in the hive tops.
    They worked.

Got it! So the regular soda drinking straw and the large drinking straw will
    both work for this application. No more tube hunting for me. What a great idea for a jar feeder!
    I use over jar feeder.

Black plastic landscape fabric (non-toxic):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast