Insulated for Winter

Default Insulated for Winter

I've been just above 50 percent wintering success in Colorado. Last winter I insulated my remaining hive and split it come spring/summer.
    I'm going into the winter with one standard 2 deep 10 frame and two nucs 5 over 5 squished together. I reused the foil faced foam from last year on the 10 frame and built more insulation panels today for the side by side nucs. I have reduced entrances and a small hole up top for ventilation. Tar paper under the lid for deflecting some of the melting snow with a layer of 2 inch foam up top.
    Here's the apiary after finishing wrapping the nucs. It's back into the 60's this week, but as they say, 'winter is coming'.
    Fingers crossed!
    Fabian
    P1090681.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Insulated for Winter

Didn't you see my post about winter coming early this year? Majority don't
    believe me so.... Anyways, it is to each locality. You did a very good job of
    insulating your hives. What about the dreaded mites? Any issue with that part?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

winters not coming early...another beepro fail...lol...just like your last few weather predictions...fail...give it up beenotpro
    snows already in CO, I just got back from a nice Halloween visit to CO. closing down the props in Boulder, Nederland, and up at my ranch in Ward, it's completely normal weather for CO AZ CA and the west. Rainy season started here in Oregon as usual 3rd week of OCT, snows hit the CO mountains as usual, AZ props in Flag are iced up, winter is coming as usual. early? most def not. Heck Sacramento is even typical normal weather. give it up dude
    Last edited by DavidZ; 11-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.

where are you in Colorado Fabian? I'm in Broomfield, and all I do is add either a super with a screen half full of wood chips or a 1 inch blue foam board. I think we are arid enough, with enough warm days interspersed to let the bees out to fly that the cold and moisture isn't so bad.

I wonder how many successful beekeepers actually insulate their hives. Maybe it depends on location. I guess I wonder how many successful beekeepers in my area don't insulate their hives. I can't imagine someone in Sacramento CA needing it. Wondering if my area really needs it. I'm not successful, and haven't done it yet, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been successful because I haven't done it yet.

If you haven't read up on my post yet at https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...upplement-heat
    I don't use hive insulation anymore this year. Prior seasons I did. Because the
    experimental heaters work so well for me now. I will never go back to insulating my
    hives from now on. Many beekeepers still follow the mainstream of beekeeping to use
    insulation for their hives. I like to experiment a bit on beekeeping and published my findings here. So why bother to
    spend more on insulation when one light bulb can solve this issue?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    If you haven't read up on my post yet at https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...upplement-heat
    I don't use hive insulation anymore this year. Prior seasons I did. Because the
    experimental heaters work so well for me now. I will never go back to insulating my
    hives from now on. Many beekeepers still follow the mainstream of beekeeping to use
    insulation for their hives. I like to experiment a bit on beekeeping and published my findings here. So why bother to
    spend more on insulation when one light bulb can solve this issue?
    How can a little insulation cost more than the light bulb, wiring, fixture, electricity?