can someone please help me?! dying hive

Default can someone please help me?! dying hive

hey everyone, im really worried and need advice on my hives, over the last month, the colony has dropped significantly in number (maybe 1 full deep frame) and the queen is laying VERY spotty brood. It could possibly be mites but i did a sugar roll test fairly recently and the count was very low (like 2 or 3 mites per half cup) and there is no noticeable wax moth infestation. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help if you can
    20171112_142801.jpg
    20171112_142815.jpg
    20171112_143000.jpg
    20171112_142823.jpg
    20171112_142910.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: can someone please help me?! dying hive

Quote Originally Posted by ayu731 View Post
    i did a sugar roll test fairly recently and the count was very low (like 2 or 3 mites per half cup)
    At first glance....it still looks like mites (parasitic mite syndrome) to me.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

is it too late for them? or is there anyting i can do now?

is it too late for them? or is there anyting i can do now?
    Likely being in a totally different climate….it is hard to say.
    If I were to suggest anything at this point, it would be apivar strips.
    You’re sure to get a load of conflicting advice here…so check it all out before deciding.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Following...

Lots of bees with their wings spread wide. Have heard that could indicate tracheal mites but not sure. No stores and practically no bees. Doesn't look promising at all.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Looks like mite frass (poop) in the cells on the right in the second picture. Use the Apivar and feed. They might make it but I wouldn't hold my breath. You can go from thousands of bees to dead out in a week or so as the hive crashes. Was that all the bees? The frame with the queen should have been covered with them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thank you everybody, i just treated them with mite away quick strips and i am going to hope for the best. I really appreciate all the fast replies and help

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    . Was that all the bees? The frame with the queen should have been covered with them.
    There were more bees on a couple of other frames but not much :/

According to the USDA Handbook 690, Diagnosis of Honey Bee Diseases, tracheal mites, "an affected bee could have disjointed wings and be unable to fly (crawlers), have a distended abdomen, or both", so you are right about that. The pictures though resemble pms in my opinion.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

MAQS is effective but hard on the bees, especially when the hive is already failing, Apivar is much more gentle but takes longer. Make sure you are feeding (I'd use 1:1 for this) and put a piece of pollen patty in there too. Give it the week and then see if you have a queen and any bees left. Please post back, even if everything goes south. Feedback is key to the general knowledge base that everyone benefits from.

Good luck.

If for some reason the bees live through the week, there are several things you can do to give them a better chance at surviving. We can cross that bridge if you come to it.

I already put the MAQS on so i will wait until next week and hope for the best. they have plenty of honey and pollen stores but just not many bees. There are also ants and wasps around the hive and i am trying my best to control them but i had to take off the entrance reducer for the treatment. if the bees make it through the treatment ill give them a pollen patty. I live in california so overwintering should not be a big problem granted they survive. I will definetly keep checking back and let you guys know how things go!

You can make a yellow jacket trap out of a two litre soda bottle. Google it for plans. YJs can rob out a weak hive too and be the proverbial final nail.

I already put the MAQS on so i will wait until next week and hope for the best. they have plenty of honey and pollen stores but just not many bees. There are also ants and wasps around the hive and i am trying my best to control them but i had to take off the entrance reducer for the treatment. if the bees make it through the treatment ill give them a pollen patty. I live in california so overwintering should not be a big problem granted they survive. I will definetly keep checking back and let you guys know how things go!
    A 'Harsh' treatment like MAQS when the colony is already severely compromised is likely to be the coup de grace.
    This definitely looks like PSM. It's time for desperate measures for desperate times.
    If it was my hive then I would remove all the brood which is already terminal and protecting the mites. I would move the colony into a space suitable for its size- ie. 6 frame nuc. I would provide feed if necessary. Most importantly I would oxalic acid vapourize them- likely to be most effective now you have removed all the brood with all those non-phoretic mites.
    Then keep your fingers crossed!
    After 3-4 weeks if the queen is laying a good brood pattern then I would consider strengthening the colony so that they will have a good chance of overwintering (adding brood or uniting).
    My climate is different from yours.

If the hive survived the MAQS, I was going to suggest the op make a follower board to reduce the hive size appropriately. I think also that 1:1 should be fed to stimulate brood production. There may still be enough time to get a brood cycle or two in before it gets too cold. MAQS would definitely not have been my first choice in this situation either but it is what it is. I just hope this young beekeeper is able to get the hive through the winter and doesn't get discouraged if the hive doesn't make it.

Hey everybody, i just wanted to give an update that the bees and queen did survive the MAQS treatment. There were not many bees but they were still some. I moved them into a cardboard nuc box in hopes that this will help. The nuc is currently placed on top of the original brood box that i filled with the capped honey frames. I hope the bees will able to build up strong again for the winter. Luckily, the weather is pretty mild at the moment so they have time to forage if they want. Thank you for the advice everybody!

I'm glad to hear they survived. I've lost some weak hives following MAQS and when I used to dribble OA during the winter. Looks like they could do with some feeding?

Even if all the mites are now dead, there are not enough bees, based on your pic anyway, to keep a new generation of brood warm and alive for the needed 3 weeks till they start hatching.

Be good if you could get a shake of bees from somewhere.

Also, MAQS is less effective in sparsely populated hives like this one. If you can add some bees to it & therefore give it a chance at survival, it would be a good idea to give a treatment with apivar.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I hate to add to your worries, but weak hives are very vulnerable to robbing at this time of year (at least where I live, not certain of your climate). A good robbing spree would likely finish off your hive at this point. I would put a make-shift robbing screen on.

I don't think you have enough bees to do much but not harm in trying.