Do you use an entrance excluder with a mouse guard

Default Do you use an entrance excluder with a mouse guard

Hello everyone - it doesn?t seem like they both fit real well and then we are reducing the reduction. I am guessing they don?t get used together.

Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do you use an entrance excluder with a mouse guard

There would be no point, I know of, for using an entrance excluder (as in a queen excluder for the entrance) and a mouse guard - since a mouse could not get through a queen excluder.

I should also mention that entrance excluders have only very specific purposes and uses... The average beekeeper will not need these.

Sorry did not mean excluder but reducer for winter months.

Ok... well depends on the type of reducer. Some do both jobs.
    The mouse guard Mann-Lake sells (p.82 of their catalog), in my opinion, would still be too open for my area so I would reduce it.
    In Texas I doubt you need to reduce the entrance for winter - but other Texans can answer that better.

I do not use mouse guards. My entrance reducer is small enough that it keeps the mice out. I see the entrance reducer as having two purposes. 1. to make the entrance smaller to prevent robbing. 2. to keep the mice out.

I have seen where it looks like mice have chewed on an entrance reducer to try to get in a hive in the winter months. I did have mice in two hives last year but that was on hives that did not have the correct entrance reducer. I think they had 1" wide x 3/4" tall gaps or so and the mice got through. All mine are now about 3/4" wide by 3/8" tall.

I use a standard entrance reducer with hardware cloth stapled on to the large entrance. For Nucs I use the small entrance also fitted with hardware cloth. I know that some others just bend hardware cloth and shove it into the entrance without a reducer.

Wooden entrance reducer on the lower entrance in winter to close out bad weather; hardware cloth mouse guard over that to keep mice from chewing through the wooden entrance reducer. I just use push pins to hold the hardware cloth in place, so it's easy to remove, which I do from time to time during the winter to sweep out the bottom of the hive.

In my climate (northern NY) my bees only use their upper entrances during the winter, anyway. Those entrances are small ( 1/2- 3/4 diameter holes - the bees adjust them to their liking) covered with wind baffles. If I see evidence of shrews (they don't appear every year) then the upper entrances get mouse guards as well.

Nancy

I use a wooden entrance reducer with hardware cloth stapled over the entrance. I use the smallest entrance for winter.

There have been years where I tried not going with something for the mice & voles and the wooden entrance reducers were heavily nibbled and the opening enlarged.

For my first two years I used the standard wooden entrance reducers, with the smallest opening for winter. Then last year during my before winter inspections I found mice nests getting built in my hives, so I now put the metal entrance reducers on. They are the ones with about 5 holes, and you can collapse them so one one side you can have it wide open, or you can expand them so only the 5 holes are exposed for ingress and egress. Works great for me.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...nd-Mouse-Guard
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I make entrance reducers by drilling four to five 3/4" holes 1-1/2 apart in a straight line and then cutting the board in half on that line with my bandsaw. This gives me two entrance reducers with semicircular openings that are just under 3/8" high (11/32 after kerf - 8.7mm for our readers in first world countries), just enough room for one bee to squeeze through. Mice can't get through it.

My bottom boards have a place to screw in a knob to secure entrance reducers and robbers screens in place.

If you were to make that type with tablesaw make the holes 7/8 diameter before ripping to allow for 1/8" blade kerf.
    Zone 6B