Custom Labels - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Labels

I'll third sticker giant. The quality and price really is impressive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Custom Labels

If you have a local community college nearby with a graphic design department try going there and have the students design your label as a school project. They usually also have a print shop that can then print your labels, even in small quantities that are usually much less expensive then commercial printers.

The least expensive way is probably a black on white thermal label printer. These labels are easy-peel, waterproof/non-smear, are available in a wide range of sizes and can be printed one at a time or a full roll of 500. You can easily include graphics, barcodes, incrementing batch numbers etc. I use a Dymo 450 LaserWriter printer. These are often discounted by Amazon and the like. Lots of suppliers sell 'compatible' labels that drops the price to well under 1p ($0.01) each.

I tend to use Dymo labels as they are truly compatible and cheap enough anyway.

I used to use coloured labels but switching to B&W has had no impact whatsoever on sales. They look very distinctive on the shelves and - by using slightly smaller labels than many jars use - the colour of the honey shows through.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

I buy labels from Onlinelabels .com, design them on their free Maestro Label Design site and print them on my color laser printer. Around $.05 plus printer costs.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I went local for my stickers after trying my own hand at printing Avery labels....they were ok, but they didn't have the "pop" that I wanted in my label...so I found a girl by pure accident and called her...she worked on my design in her spare time giving me lots of different options before blowing me away with her final design. ....and only charged me $50 for the design time which I thought was a bargain.

The Vinyl labels are custom cut....and yes..pricey....I only ordered 100 for my 1lb bottles and 50 for my 2lb bottles....they were $0.50 ea.
    I just tried stickergiant and TBH, the cost was the same.....roughly $0.50 each....so I am opting to go with the small business that caters to me exactly what I wanted. I have a feeling that if I were to order 500 or 1000 that my price would go down significantly....The vinyl stickers doesn't fade or change when wet...I even put the bottles in warm water to decrystalize some honey and the label did not have an issue with it.

Turned out well for me
    39675811_10215040331633947_6273472469420474368_o.jpg
    IMG_20180821_125830545.jpg
    Last edited by KevinWI; 01-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.

The sad part is that between the label and bottles I'm into it for $1.33 before a drop is put in the bottle....and I sell it for $5/lb so my true honey price is $3.67/lb. ....I think I'm leaning toward selling bees rather than honey.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    The sad part is that between the label and bottles I'm into it for $1.33 before a drop is put in the bottle....and I sell it for $5/lb so my true honey price is $3.67/lb. ....I think I'm leaning toward selling bees rather than honey.
    You either sell lots of honey or don't even bother how I feel (at least in WI, with the vendor requirements, etc).

Really, selling few local nucs for a small scale hobby/sideline financing is sufficient.
    Anymore, I do not see myself running about with all those jars and jars of honey (outside of the gifts and honey in lieu of rent payment).
    Not to mention investing into honey extraction equipment.
    Not worth the time collecting nickels and dimes..
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I buy labels from Onlinelabels .com, design them on their free Maestro Label Design site and print them on my color laser printer. Around $.05 plus printer costs.
    Ollie’s labels are nice but he needs to place them on his bottles better!

69D887B8-7489-49CB-9AF0-327404810DFA.jpg

Now here’s a really good looking honey label!

8257FD57-3641-4BBA-9C1B-CA6813DE8329.jpg
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    I just tried stickergiant and TBH, the cost was the same.....roughly $0.50 each.
    We use 1.5 x 2.0 labels on our 12 oz hex jars and order 3000 at a time from sticker giant. They cost $0.05 per label.

KevinWI: I noticed your label lists the contents by volume. The units "FL. OZ" and "ml", are both volumetric units. Honey is, in most places, sold by weight, e.g., oz, lb, or kg.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Ollie’s labels are nice but he needs to place them on his bottles better!
    Those 3 oz hex are hard to label. I later tried it centered on the side which was better.

Charlie 's is totally illegal with no weigh in ounces and grams. But he is all into cute and Shi shi.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-11-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fix "Quote" code syntax
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    We use 1.5 x 2.0 labels on our 12 oz hex jars and order 3000 at a time from sticker giant. They cost $0.05 per label.

KevinWI: I noticed your label lists the contents by volume. The units "FL. OZ" and "ml", are both volumetric units. Honey is, in most places, sold by weight, e.g., oz, lb, or kg.
    I am well aware of the weight error...I was so busy making sure the logo came out perfect I did not notice that the "fl oz" was used...and also the ML number is completely wrong as well as ml/g...(although 1g of water is 1ml..but doesn't apply to honey)..I did not notice until I received the labels and it popped out to me...I actually just blacked out the (fl) with a black sharpie.......customers either don't pay attention or don't care...glad I only ordered enough for the season or I'd be stuck with 3000 incorrect labels. ...but that said....here in Wisconsin, under law, our labels have to have both pounds/oz and also metric units.... (453.5924g/lb)
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Good to see Charlie and Ollie are still at it. Ok, I need labels, any consensus on what goes on them and who has the cheap ones? ``
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    Good to see Charlie and Ollie are still at it. Ok, I need labels, any consensus on what goes on them and who has the cheap ones? ``
    Ollie is the king of cheap. He also thinks hes an expert on what you have to have on your honey label. Are you ever coming out to California Gypsi? Well take you out to dinner!!!
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

I should send the County Weights and Measure inspector out to check your label and you will be singing a different song.
    The label requirements are different everywhere and under several agencies jurisdiction. Good luck figuring it all out.

The Texas honey label is long and cumbersome. I can get 4 to a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper. Too wide for the 12 oz honeybears but ok on 2 pound jars. I didn't do anything fancy. I have bees chasing my dogs because one of last year's cutout hives clearly has some african dna, I've ordered queens, but I can see a day without hives I think. we had rain this year, I do like what they do for my garden......

I have a relative I should visit in California but with the bees and other stuff it is hard to get away. Will take you up on dinner if I do.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Those 3 oz hex are hard to label. I later tried it centered on the side which was better.

Charlie 's is totally illegal with no weigh in ounces and grams. But he is all into cute and Shi shi.

Round label on lid is the easiest to do with those jars.
    Terrence

I'm thinking of just using 2 pound honey jars, they do well with large labels, and everything else glass canning jars with label on lid. Going legal does NOT fit on honey bears

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12