Custom Labels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Labels

Smile Custom Labels

Hello,
    What is the best and cheapest or just cheap place to get custom sheets of labels for my honey label done at?
    i found a website called www.stickeryou.com but that is like .50 cents a label which is too much or as low as $10 dollars a sheet.
    Is there any other good websites, i am sure there is. I have never tried any other websites besides Vistaprint which i don't know if they make labels or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Custom Labels

I use Avery and make my own. I use my I'm jet printer. It cost me about .47 cents a piece.

I would do that and i did it this past season, but i wanted to see what the best website that can custom make them for me, or give me the templates and i can print on them with their software.

Doing it yourself with an inkjet printer using refilled ink cartridges will be the cheapest.
    Pretty sure to get cheaper than that you would have to be willing to buy bulk from the printers.

If i can and if its cheap enough, i would buy bulk. What is bulk considered?

Really depends on how many labels you are doing, and what kind of quality you want for them. We wanted something with a matt finish that would stand up to getting damp with no ink running. From our local print shop it cost about $500 to get the artwork all prepared for the print run and the first 500 printed. After that, it was something like a few cents each, we did a run of 5000. Net result, far far cheaper than doing it on our own printer, and a much higher quality label that wont run if it gets damp or wet. We did two sizes for two different bottle types, and there was no extra cost for changing size during the print run.

The first time we did labels, only a few hundred, we used label stock and an inkjet, it was a disaster after they got damp sitting at the farm stand. The second time we did it using a laser printer on label stock, same end result. As we grow the bee business we started needing larger quantities and went to the print shop, and will never look back.

It really does depend on how many you are doing, but for any type of quantity, it's well worth spending on the professional setup to get a high quality label.

I was wanting a few hundred. I do want something that will not come off with some dampness

For a few hundred I would do it myself.
    Get colored card stock (something like a light yellowish-gold, think honey... or light tan for 'old paper' look).
    Make up a label in an art studio (I like paint shop pro). Create a page of labels and then print them.
    A paper cutter makes fast work of trimming them out.
    Buy a roll of crystal clear packing tape with a dispenser.
    Cut a correct length of tape, place label face down on it (taking care to be straight). Affix to jar.
    Looks better if you make the label's width/height a little less than the tape - that way, not only does it look better but the tape prevents moisture from getting behind the label.

Be sure label is straight on the tape and on the jar (use scissors to cut the tape not the dispenser's serrated edge cutter).

May not look as good as professionally printed labels but will look very nice and - if you design the labels to look "elegantly old fashion" then it works with the tape for a better appearance.

Another option would be to print labels on card stock and attach with a piece of craft twine. Only attach the labels as needed (otherwise keep them safe in a closed zip lock).... Many ways to do it yourself and make it look good.

Smile Re: Custom Labels

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    For a few hundred I would do it myself.
    Get colored card stock (something like a light yellowish-gold, think honey... or light tan for 'old paper' look).
    Make up a label in an art studio (I like paint shop pro). Create a page of labels and then print them.
    A paper cutter makes fast work of trimming them out.
    Buy a roll of crystal clear packing tape with a dispenser.
    Cut a correct length of tape, place label face down on it (taking care to be straight). Affix to jar.
    Looks better if you make the label's width/height a little less than the tape - that way, not only does it look better but the tape prevents moisture from getting behind the label.

Be sure label is straight on the tape and on the jar (use scissors to cut the tape not the dispenser's serrated edge cutter).

May not look as good as professionally printed labels but will look very nice and - if you design the labels to look "elegantly old fashion" then it works with the tape for a better appearance.

Another option would be to print labels on card stock and attach with a piece of craft twine. Only attach the labels as needed (otherwise keep them safe in a closed zip lock).... Many ways to do it yourself and make it look good.

Is there a good place I can get my logo redone at? I made my logo on the computer, but every time i want to put it on a different product i have to tweak it a little so it looks good. like if i want to put it on a pen then i would have to change it than if it was on a jar. Maybe that is just the way it has to be. I have heard of Peopleperhour.com People Per Hour
    I have heard people on there are good and from different countries.

I don't know of a place... I do my own graphic work (I used to work in computers for a while).

Re-sizing logos is just a part of getting them to fit.
    I tend to make large logos with a high dpi (dot-per-inch) - something like 300dpi or higher, depending on the graphic.
    It will be easier to scale. If you have a drastic size change a raster based graphic it will probably need tweaking.
    If you can do the logo as a high dpi vector graphic it will tend to look right no matter how you size it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I don't know of a place... I do my own graphic work (I used to work in computers for a while).

Re-sizing logos is just a part of getting them to fit.
    I tend to make large logos with a high dpi (dot-per-inch) - something like 300dpi or higher, depending on the graphic.
    It will be easier to scale. If you have a drastic size change a raster based graphic it will probably need tweaking.
    If you can do the logo as a high dpi vector graphic it will tend to look right no matter how you size it.

Thank You. I basically want to redo the logo, but with the same gist and same name.

Vista print? Lots of custom options there, and they always have discount codes.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Been getting them from Better Bee. I pick them up at a state meeting. First printing is about .09 cents for two hundred and fifty. From thier the the print charge goes down.

The ones from Mann Lake i can not customize i don't think so anyways.

We print our own on florescent green label stock. Made the label, print it with a black laser printer. The ink never smears.

The bright color of the labels is our trademark now.
    Zone 6b: 18 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I have had a good experience with Label Solutions, Inc. (www.easylabel.com). You need to provide your own artwork. They will send you a proof and once you order, they keep your artwork on file so reordering is easy.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeginning16 View Post
    Hello,
    What is the best and cheapest or just cheap place to get custom sheets of labels for my honey label done at?
    i found a website called www.stickeryou.com but that is like .50 cents a label which is too much or as low as $10 dollars a sheet.
    Is there any other good websites, i am sure there is. I have never tried any other websites besides Vistaprint which i don't know if they make labels or not.
    Find your local Printing Shop and see if they have someone who can help you design your own personal label. They may not produce them for you. Often they farm the actual printing out to another concern. That's what I do. I get mine in 500 or 1,000 label rolls. Stock sizes and shapes make things uniform and rather easy to get produced and to use.
    Mark Berninghausen

I got my labels designed at 99designs. I searched for some honey labels, then contacted a few graphic design artists and pitted prices against each other (played the poor farmer card too). In the end, I got a front and back label for probably $100 or so. Most of the artists were from eastern Europe.

I took my label design to a local print shop, and he pulled out his catalog of where he was going to farm the work out to. There was a $750 "die casting" fee. From there, it was something like $1 per label for the first 100, $0.40 for up to 500, and then started going down from there. I decided that was way too much for my taste.

I went with stickergiant.com. I've also used stickeryou.com, and the price and quality is probably very close. StickerGiant was able to die cut my custom labels for about $0.21 a label on nice vinyl, waterproof, fade resistant labels. Very nice quality, and on rolls. That was at the 500 quantity price. 1,000 labels was $0.14 each, and the price went down from there (but not considerably). 5,000 was your low at $0.09 each. Keep in mind, that's on rolls with custom shape.

StickerYou really doesn't like to do rolls. They want to do sheets. For simple round stickers to put on top of mason jars, it works great. For jars, not so much. The sheets ended up being cheaper, but if you wanted to put them on rolls stickeryou was more expensive.

That was all about 2 years ago. I'm going to have to reorder labels soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeginning16 View Post
    Hello,
    I've had great success with www.sheetlabels.com, they offer blank labels and printed versions for different volumes (on sheets or printed roll labels) for larger volumes, though they offer low prices on rolls on quantities over 150-200 starting (has been the best value point i've seen for rolls). I've done designs on canva and printed them on the sheets and can even use them on printed orders. Sheet's can't be laminated, but I love the glossy finish on the rolls, can do matte too but I like my label to have a bit of a different look on the farmers market table.

We recently switched to Sticker Giant and have been very impressed by the quality, service, and price.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast