Hive scales - anyone use them?

Default Hive scales - anyone use them?

duplicate
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-02-2017 at 10:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone have any opinions on accurate, reasonable-priced wireless hive scales? I did an advanced search on beesource to see who has used what but I'm not coming up with much so thought I'd throw out this note. Also have been searching online for products, reviews, prices, etc... Has anyone used Broodminder scales and, if so, what is your opinion about them? Thanks.

duplicate
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Default Re: Hive scale

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Hive scale

I have a few I built myself, but I have also bought one from Greece called Zygi.
    I can't build one cheaper than he sell them for and so far it's first season it's worked well. I am satisfied with the support and the product.

http://zygi.gr/en
    Stephen 40+ hives. 6th year. Treat. Germany.

Default Re: Hive scales - anyone use them?

I know someone that runs a bunch of broodminders. Pricey but he loves them. I am thinking about getting a coupe to help gage flows.

I purchased one BroodMinder for my wife last Christmas. She likes it. They also have temperature and humidity monitoring. I'm think of getting a couple more this year. They are a bit pricey but I think they are worth it for a hobbies.
    4a

I am currently running 20 hives all with broodminder scales and temperature sensors.... They work great and give you lots of insight into brood (temperature sensor) and flow (scale).... Datalogs readings once an hour and downloads direct to my cell phone by Bluetooth... Trend graphs are particularly useful...

They are expensive but I've found them well worth the money....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Dewey Arnia Screenshot.jpgArnia. uses cell data. BIP Sentinel Apiary program.
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 11-03-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added screenshot.

Broodminder. I have 2 (bought one at EAS a few months ago) and convinced others in my club to get them too. I love them. Several folks overheard me as I waxed rhapsodic about them and ended up buying a bunch. They are the most affordable wireless digital scales on the market. I only have the scales though, not the Citizen Science package with the temperature and humidity monitors.

I love the low profile, how easily the scale is installed, the app, the support. Every few months the developers improve or update features and usability--they appreciate feedback and suggestions.

As I considered getting more scales, I realized that the temperature monitor would actually be useful for determining when the colony is broodless for a winter OAV treatment. Maybe with my next scale purchase...