What jars to buy for pint size
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile What jars to buy for pint size

Hello

I know that honey is sold by weight not fluid, but the thing I am trying to figure out is which jars to buy if I want pint jars since people normally do not understand weight and pounds that much. Would I get 1.5 jars then tell others that they are pint jars or what? I have heard a quart is 3 pounds. I don't want to tell my customers a certain thing then have them looking forward to a bigger jar. Is it good to buy from a place like Mann Lake or where do I buy jars from? I am kind of scared to buy from Mann Lake since they do not cover anything if any of the glass jars break. This is my upcoming second harvest here southern Louisiana close to New Orleans

Thanks,
    Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What jars to buy for pint size

Just buy pint jars, weigh the jar empty, then weigh it when it is full of honey, then you will know how much the honey weighs. You can put the true weight on the label.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I want to buy online from some website which I have not figured out yet. I see some websites say 1lb, 1.5lb or 2lb and maybe even 8oz
    I just don't know which ones to get. Does a 1lb look like a pint or what is it? I want people to be able to visualize the size of the jar when I tell them
    I want to get pint jars in big packs like 12-24 packs or maybe even more but I see they are sold by the pound in how much they hold.
    very confusing sometimes
    Sorry if I am confusing.

You can get 24 oz of honey in a pint jar. A one pound honey jar is smaller than a pint mason jar two pound honey jar is bigger and I think it looks better than the small one pound honey jar.

Pint - 1 1/2 lb.
    Quart = 3 lb.
    Gallon = 12 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    Pint - 1 1/2 lb.
    Quart = 3 lb.
    Gallon = 12 lb.
    I think i get it now, tell me if i am right or wrong. So if i order a 1 1/2lb jar then that will the size of a normal size pint container, right
    and if i get a 3Lb jars then i can sell as quarts, correct?\
    what would 2lbs be considered if 3 lbs is a quart and a pint is 1 1/2 pounds is a pints
    what is in between and also what is a half pint in pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Beeginning16 View Post
    I think i get it now, tell me if i am right or wrong. So if i order a 1 1/2lb jar then that will the size of a normal size pint container, right
    and if i get a 3Lb jars then i can sell as quarts, correct?\
    what would 2lbs be considered if 3 lbs is a quart and a pint is 1 1/2 pounds is a pints
    what is in between and also what is a half pint in pounds
    That is correct.

Jars sold specifically for honey are sized appropriately by weight. So, a 1 lb jar holds 1 lb. Almost all other similar containers are sold by volume.

If you like the appearance of a pint jar, go to a local store and purchase them. That fixes the shipping issues. If you wan the appearance of a honey jar, you'll probably need to risk shipping losses.

As Hogback stated, get the weight right on the label. I find that my honey is lighter weight than "normal" and can only get 42 oz in a quart with a little head room at the threads.

What would a 2 lb jar be if a quart is 3 lbs and a pint is 1.5 lbs?
    if i order 1.5 lbs jars, then it will be the size of a normal container, right?

3 pounds of honey happens to be a quart, but honey is supposed to be sold by weight not volume. So 2 lbs of honey is 2 lbs of honey. If you want a customer to know what volume size it is, stick with "3 lbs of honey (quart size)", or 1 1/2 lbs (1 pint size), etc. 2 lbs would be 2/3 quart, or 1 1/3 pint, or 5 1/3 cups. Not so simple for 2 lbs. Just use weight.

Here we go again. cup, pint, quart, gallon are measurements of volume. A pint of water, a pint of honey, a pint of gold will all occupy the same space, but will all have different weights. If you are selling your honey by pints, quarts you are selling by volume. Since most honey labeling laws require the weight to be on labels special jars are sold that will contain a stated amount of honey by weight. IE. 8oz, 16oz or 1 lb. 2lb. etc. When you buy a one pound bottle of honey you can put one pound of honey in it. If you buy your jars by volume, you will have to fill the jar and weigh it to find out the weight of the honey. A pint mason jar will hold 16 oz of water, about 24oz of honey and pounds of gold.

So to be clear again, i can buy a 1.5 lb jars then sells as a pint and put 1.5 lbs under the small print beside NET Weight
    or i can get 3 pound containers from a company and sell as a quart which both will look like a quart or a pint depending my choice, correct?
    Where can i even buy 3lb jars at? i was looking at this website called Filmore Containers www.fillmorecontainer.com
    and i found some Hex Jars i really like that are 9oz, but dont know if that is weight or volume. i would think weight, not sure though. how many pound would 9oz be or lets say 8 to make it simple or you can do 9oz

I just don't want to ripe people off or have people think so. Most people do not understand the marketing type of honey and how it is sold. I want to sell as pint or quarts to make it simple for everyone else to understand. Other wise i might have tons of questions being asked.

I have found containers from Mann Lake which i don't want to order from because they do not cover if the glass breaks during shipping
    Filmore Containers www.fillmorecontainer.com
    Gamber Containers www.gambercontainer.com/store/honey-containers
    https://www.specialtybottle.com/glas...xagon/9oz-hex9
    (They have other containers too)

Which website is best to order from?
    Does the 1.5lb look like a real pint jar in the store?
    and/or does the 12 oz look like a 12oz in the store?
    This stuff is clearly all new to me as this is my second coming season

just looked at the website and looked like these are not honey specific jars, so unlikely that the hex jars when filled with honey would actually contain 9oz of honey. You can still use these containers, but you will need to weigh them and find out how much honey fits into the jar. OZ or pounds is always weight. Most likely the 9oz hex jars will actually hold about 12 to 14 oz of honey.

The Fillmore Container 9oz hex jars are fluid ounces and will hold 12 ounces of honey by weight. Nobody covers glass breakage. I get all my glass from Fillmore and have had very little breakage. They pack them very well and are pretty good on shipping.

i want the 9oz hex jars because they look cool, but when i say they are 12 oz, some will say that is not 12 oz, and it will be less
    so these will be like an half pint jars or what? Mann Lake has very similar ones and they said it is 9oz weight. So confused on all of this stuff
    Lets make every liquid fluid and not weight

Beeginning16, if you sell by weight, you will be keeping with the standard and legal labeling guidelines of honey. Once you understand it well enough, you would want to educate a buyer if they question it. Keeping with 1 1/2 lb, or 3 lb. etc, it would simplify the education. "Yeah, here's 3 lbs of honey, which is equal to a quart of volume." All the label needs is weight of the honey. Check with a scale as you fill the first one, then you know how much to have in each jar. Be a bit generous if you can.

Here's where I got plastic jars for me. It's closer than others, so shipping is better for me. You may want to explore near you online for close bottle makers, and compare pricing with shipping added.

http://www.blplasticiowa.com/en/full_product_line/

Where do you get your jars from? Have you ordered from Gamber containers before? I want the size of a pint which i believe is 1.5 or 1 1/2 lbs
    if i got the 1 1/2 containers from gamber then it would look like the pints in the store.
    I want to stay with GLASS containers though

So sorry for my confusion

Visualize the typical size 12 fl oz beer can or soda pop can...they hold 12 fluid ounces, but if you filled them with honey instead, they would each weigh 1 pound, but are still only 12 fl oz.

This year I had to fill my wide mouth 12 oz, pint & quart canning jars right to the very top, just a spoonful short of overflowing, in order to get the 12 oz jar to have 1 lb in it, the quart jar to have 3 lbs in it and the pint to have 1-1/2 pounds (I filled them by weight on a sensitve kitchen scale). I always assumed all canning jars hit their stated volume levels at the bottom of the jars' necks. Not so...measuring water to fill various sized jars showed their stated size means they have to be filled to overflowing. This makes me wonder about the many canning jars of honey I see others selling (using pint and quart size jars) as 1-1/2 lbs and 3 lb jars when they are filled only to just below the jars' necks just above the shoulders of the jars.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast