What jars to buy for pint size - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What jars to buy for pint size

So really, I would buy by the weight and convert to Pints, Correct?
    so people understand rather than explaining to everyone. which i don't want to do at all.
    what would i sell the 9oz as, as a half pint or what? Mann Lake said there 9oz is weight. i dont know now since someone said the other 9oz is volume not weight.

When i buy 1.5 lbs, i would not fill to the very tip, right? to get a pint

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Beeginng16,
    Fillmore has four sizes of hex jars: 1.5oz, 4oz, 6oz, & 9oz. ML has four sizes of hex "honey jars": 3oz, 6oz, 9oz, & 12oz.
    Fillmore states the fluid ounce content; ML lists the weight of honey content. I am willing to bet these jars come from the same mold.
    I hope I have helped. Jeff

PS: Yes, the largest 9 fl. oz. hex is very close to a half pint.

so you think they come from the same place. why would ML say one thing and Filemore say another

One is using fluid ounces and the other is using ounces of weight. The 9oz Fillmore jars are the 12oz ML jars.

wait a minute. so if mann lake is saying 9oz weight then the one from the other place has to be weight too right or does it not since they both say 9oz?
    Would the 1.5 lbs look like a real pint once i got them or would it look smaller? Should i trust the glass shipping from mann lake

A 1.5 lb honey bottle would look like what you think of as a normal pint jar. a one pound honey bottle will look slightly smaller than than what you think of as a normal pint bottle. remove the honey from the one pound honey bottle and fill it with water from what you consider to be a normal pint bottle and the honey bottle will overflow with the water. Put the honey from the one pound honey bottle in to what you consider to be a normal pint bottle and there will be space left over for more honey.

Thank you so much. That is what i needed. So i believe i am going to look for 1.5 pound containers for honey. What do i do about these hexagon jars i like. they only come in like 9oz on this filmore website and 9 and 12 weight on mann lake
    what would i sell the 9oz on filmore and 9 oz on mann lake as? as a half pint or what

you simply say I am selling 9 or 12oz's of honey in these nice looking jars. If they still insist on asking how much is that, the filmore 9oz and ml 12 oz are the same size and you say about half a pint.

Shipping jar gets expensive. One good reason to go to state meeting and pick them up there. You should see my truck coming home from one. It is full till the gills.

Just go with what Vectorjet said...

But for information... There are two kinds of ounces (oz). One is a measure of liquids (such as a 12oz soda). The other is a measure of weight (such as a 8oz steak). They have nothing to do with each other - only the name is the same.
    Honey is normally sold by weight - so when you look at jars specifically meant to hold honey their "oz" (ounce) sizes are referring to the weight of honey they will hold - not how much liquid. When you look at just regular jars which are usually intended for liquids they mean "oz" as in how much liquid.... again - the two only have the same name, but mean completely different things.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 11-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.

O my god buy a scale and weigh it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    O my god buy a scale and weigh it!

I think you are worrying too much about this. Use any jar you like, weigh it , get a tare , then weigh a sample honey-filled jar and mark the weight . It can be any weight; nothing says you have to sell in one pound increments. I sell in regular canning jars and my customers are very happy. They love the flavor of the honey and could care less that theyre buying 9 or 21 ounces or whatever it happens to be.

I agree with Karenarnett. Keep it simple and don't confuse ounces by weight versus ounces of fluid volume.

We mainly sell honey in 1 pt. Ball/Mason Jars. We weigh each jar as we fill it on a food scale. The scale has a TARE button so each jar starts at 0 ounces (by weight -- a scale doesn't measure fluid volume) and then we fill until each jar weights over 22 ounces (by weight). We slightly overfill - so nobody can say they were shorted (not that they would but just my hang up).

Works for us on a small scale. If you had huge volumes of honey to jar, you would probably weight a bunch of jars, get an average, and go from there.

The Jars them self run the same weight. Some time they may be about .05 off. Every jar goes on a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeginning16 View Post
    Where do you get your jars from? Have you ordered from Gamber containers before? I want the size of a pint which i believe is 1.5 or 1 1/2 lbs
    if i got the 1 1/2 containers from gamber then it would look like the pints in the store.
    I want to stay with GLASS containers though

So sorry for my confusion
    Buy your pint canning jars, weigh the empty jar, then fill it with honey, and weigh it again and take the jar weight off. Whatever it weighs that’s the amount. We use different jars and label the exact weight and price. We have customers bringing in all sorts jars for us to fill. We sell a pound for 8.00, which is .40 per ounce (16 oz in a pound). If they bring an empty pickle jar we weigh the jar, then fill it, and weigh again. If it comes to 25 oz., you times the 25 oz. by .40 and get your price which comes to $10.00. We bought a small cheap kitchen scale that you can “tare” the weight of the bottle. We always give 3xtra to the customer.
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12