Do use a mask when working with Apiguard
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nassau County, New York, USA
    Posts
    467

    Default Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Like to know what type of mask to use when working with Apiguard. Although I have been working with it without a mask, I noticed that it is an irritant and would like to know if there is a mask suitable for this.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,438

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Any reasonable mask with organic cartridges.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nassau County, New York, USA
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Thank you Oldtimer.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mogollon Rim, Arizona 85933
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    p100 filter works perfect, it's for chemicals.
    p90 and lower are for dust don't use them

  6. #5

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Interesting. I've used Apiguard most years and have never used a mask. I'll have to look again at the label. The only time I find it irritating is when I get it on sensitive skin...around my nose, for example. Then....it's plenty irritating.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,443

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Interesting. I've used Apiguard most years and have never used a mask. I'll have to look again at the label. The only time I find it irritating is when I get it on sensitive skin...around my nose, for example. Then....it's plenty irritating.
    or on the hive tool that ends up in the back pocket
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nassau County, New York, USA
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    From Vita website about hazards identification of Apiguard:

    Inhalation:
    May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal
    irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Irritation of respiratory tract.

    Ingestion:
    Abdominal pain with possible nausea, vomiting and occasional convulsions. Oils and
    alcohol may promote absorption into the body.

    More details here:
    https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealt...h-Feb-2016.pdf
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

  9. #8

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Respiratory protection: Not required if the product is handled in the open or properly ventilated in-door places

    I would recommend that one avoid eating it.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington County, Maine
    Posts
    3,796

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    I have never used a respirator with Apiguard. I sure do with OAV.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Squaw Valley, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    I also never use a respirator when working with Apiguard.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,438

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    From Vita website about hazards identification of Apiguard:

    Inhalation:
    May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal
    irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Irritation of respiratory tract.

    Ingestion:
    Abdominal pain with possible nausea, vomiting and occasional convulsions. Oils and
    alcohol may promote absorption into the body.

    More details here:
    https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealt...h-Feb-2016.pdf
    This data comes from experiments done with animals, most likely rats. The procedure is to force (generally 100) rats to inhale, ingest or have dermal exposure, to various levels of the chemical. The dose is increased until 50 of the 100 die. The level of that dose is called the LD50 (lethal dose needed to kill 50 of the 100 rats), for that chemical.

    So they would have found that at some level of inhalation, it caused problems to the rats. But it could have been an extremely high dose, much higher than any sane human would allow themselves to breath. Nonetheless, sellers of the product are obliged to put this information on the label. Which is firstly a legal requirement, and secondly a protection against getting sued cos they can invoke the "told ya not to do that" defence.

    However in your opening post you inferred the product causes you irritation, if this is the case for you, then a mask with appropriate cartridges will protect you.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nassau County, New York, USA
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    However in your opening post you inferred the product causes you irritation, if this is the case for you, then a mask with appropriate cartridges will protect you.
    Thank you Oldtimer. Yes I really had irritation. I could not go near the hives ( I have 31 hives with 2nd dose Apiguard of 51ml on each. Bees are ignoring it.) As suggested by DavidZ I got a P100 mask from Amazon for $17. Today I was able to work with the bees without smelling Thymol.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Can you use apivar instead?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  15. #14

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    Thank you Oldtimer. Yes I really had irritation. I could not go near the hives ( I have 31 hives with 2nd dose Apiguard of 51ml on each. Bees are ignoring it.)
    This would concern me. It won't do any good if the bees aren't removing it. Is it placed directly above the brood?
    And, of course, Oldtimer et. al. were correct. If it irritates you...wear a mask. I hope I didn't come across as recommending that you ignore that irritation. I simply hadn't heard of wearing a mask with Apiguard.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM, U.S.
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Tymol doesn't really bother me, so I don't wear a mask. The tool in the pocket thing makes me think--oh well, too late now.

    I find the bees DO tend to ignore the second treatment. Never the first, that one always gets their immediate attention.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    34,541

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    Thank you Oldtimer. Yes I really had irritation. I could not go near the hives ( I have 31 hives with 2nd dose Apiguard of 51ml on each. Bees are ignoring it.) As suggested by DavidZ I got a P100 mask from Amazon for $17. Today I was able to work with the bees without smelling Thymol.
    Apiguard comes in strips. I think, since you mentioned a 2nd dose of 51ml that you might mean Apivar, which is a gel. Let's get our terminology straight. Things are confusing enough as it is.
    Mark Berninghausen

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pottstown, Pennyslvania, USA
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Apiguard comes in strips. I think, since you mentioned a 2nd dose of 51ml that you might mean Apivar, which is a gel. Let's get our terminology straight. Things are confusing enough as it is.
    Mark, You have that backwards. Apiguard is a thymol gel and Apivar are amitraz strips.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    34,541

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Mark, You have that backwards. Apiguard is a thymol gel and Apivar are amitraz strips.
    Thanks. I somehow always get those names mixed up. Apiguard is the stuff that comes in the Blue Buckets, right?

    So why are some people sticking their hive tools in the Apiguard gel and then sticking the hive tool in their back pocket? The stuff in the blue buckets comes with a special spatula, so why are people getting the gel on their hive tool?
    Mark Berninghausen

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,673

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor N8 View Post

    I find the bees DO tend to ignore the second treatment. Never the first, that one always gets their immediate attention.
    Its really a seasonal thing. I have used thymol pretty extensively and found it to have a pretty narrow treatment window for any type of success. The bees still need to be actively brooding and the temps warm. However treatment with high temps over about 90 can sometimes result in queens shutting down. In our area, any thymol treatment after about mid September results in the bees just moving away from the treatment and not actively removing it which is critical to its efficacy.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  21. #20

    Default Re: Do use a mask when working with Apiguard

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The stuff in the blue buckets comes with a special spatula, so why are people getting the gel on their hive tool?
    Nowadays it comes with an oversized syringe. They actually work pretty well as long as the apiguard is fresh.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •