Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, including

Default Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, including

Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, including 25,000 in Florida, beekeepers added more bees than they lost, the USDA stated. But that growth was not apparent in Sumter County. Many county beekeepers registered with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services reported having fewer hives than prior years or stopped keeping bees altogether. (Villages Daily Sun)
    http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/n...04913355b.html
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, inclu

Is 225,000 higher than average?
    One of mine was in there (I don't mind contributing - but not to that)

Default Re: Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, inclu

Where do they get the "225.000 and 663,000" from? What Beek's report to the USDA? Does anyone know how these statistics are obtained? Maybe it feeds from State registration and inspection reports? That's assuming you bother to register. Personally, take any Fed provided statistics with a major grain of salt. Reminds me of body counts in VietNam, meaningless, but did feed the media, so everyone was happy. JMHO

My state apiarist sends out my license application every year. We have to answer how many hives we have (license fee is based on that), so they had that data to compare. They also request us to provide previous year's information - hive deaths, etc..

I am guessing it is provided to the USDA as well.

Don't know about the rest of you beeks, but here in Northern Wisconsin, no one of 'authority' has ever asked about our bees, and the 'one time' I tried to contact someone the contact person was sitting in an office in Madison (about 325 miles south) and was clueless as to how to assist. I'm not sure we even have a State Apiarist...it'd be news to me and my friend beeks up here.

I think they've since improved somewhat, because I've noticed the University is now offering beekeeping classes.....But the point is, not all States regulate bees and beekeepers, and at my last check Wisconsin was just one of them......so all those numbers/statistics from above should be digested with lots of salt IMO.

When I started to keep hives I tried to find out if I needed to register with the state. Phone calls were a joke so I tried the net and got a phone number of the “south west region state inspector”. He had been retired for quite sometime and told me don’t worry about it.
    I doubt Michigan could really give a rip about reporting hive losses to the feds or even who’s keeping bees lol.
    Rod

They give their source in the article -- Bee Informed partnership, which gets it from USDA APHIS. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant-hea...ey-bees-survey
    Part of that is the National Honey Bee Survey. The physical survey only included 41 states due to funding.
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Guam
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Ohio
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Puerto Rico
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia
    Vermont
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    West Virginia
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

You can also sign up for the USDA-NASS survey to be counted.
    https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

So the info is collected from 'volunteers' selecting to provide data. Then it must make the entire count suspect and somewhat moot, no?

Drummerboy
    So the info is collected from 'volunteers' selecting to provide data. Then it must make the entire count suspect and somewhat moot, no?
    If it is the only counting being done then it is still the most interesting to at least look at and make up your own mind. I would think that on such a wide volunteer basis that they all would not have the same adgenda to want to skew the results. I am to lazy to volunteer and just danged glad that in my state there is not rule for me to even tell anyone I have bees. I find the collection interesting even reconizing that I am not the one doing it and so am happy to get what I get.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Question Re: Despite losses of more than 225,000 colonies nationwide from April to June, inclu

Quote Originally Posted by exmar View Post
    Where do they get the "225.000 and 663,000" from? What Beek's report to the USDA? Does anyone know how these statistics are obtained? Maybe it feeds from State registration and inspection reports? That's assuming you bother to register. Personally, take any Fed provided statistics with a major grain of salt. Reminds me of body counts in VietNam, meaningless, but did feed the media, so everyone was happy. JMHO
    I have a person from the USDA come out every quart to get my loss report, because I quit answering the phone.

I loss all my bees this year after I shock them out in Oct.

Really I never report any loses. Mine are self inflicted with a pay check.

How many have hive loss after almonds and can't make up their loss?

I gave up on this BIP story years ago when according to their questionnaire they only counted my losses and not my gains. I may have lost 5 colonies overwinter and made gains of 40 in the spring but somehow these were not counted so I went down as a loss of 5. I eventually decided that I no longer wanted to be part of the " losers"
    Johno

That is why BIP changed the survey questions to account for increases.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]