Google Custom Search of Beesource.com

Default Google Custom Search of Beesource.com

I was trying to search for something else, and came across an interesting way of searching Beesource that I hadn't seen before.

For some time, from Chrome, at least, one has been able to use the Google keyword "site:" to search specific sites, as in ...
    frames site:beesource.com

An interesting variation I just found is to just type "beesource.com" in the URL box and add a space character BEFORE pressing Enter, and that causes a Custom Search to become available in the URL box. The URL changes to "Search beesource.com |" (with a "pipe" character "|"). Typing your search term in the blank space of the remaining URL box brings up a Custom Search window/results. This all happens without using the "site:" keyword. Give it a try

I tried this with some random non-Beesource sites and it didn't work.

Note that earlier Barry had set up Beesource with Custom Search on the Beesource home page, but Google announced that they were retiring that product and the Google Custom Search search box has been removed from the Beesource home page. It may be that this earlier implementation of Custom Search is what allows this to work with Beesource.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-24-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Google Custom Search of Beesource.com

nice
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Hello there,

Thanks for the information! We'll take a note of it and make sure other users are aware.

Best regards,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Note that earlier Barry had set up Beesource with Custom Search on the Beesource home page, but Google announced that they were retiring that product and the Google Custom Search search box has been removed from the Beesource home page.

Well, kind of. Google will be retiring GSS (Google Site Search) and everybody with it will be opted in to what's replacing it CSE (Custom Search Engine) in April of 2018.

But I have no idea why Barry removed GSS from the front page, thousands of sites still use it just fine. Don't have to switch over until next year. But I don't know anything about SEO and all that stuff.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

Here is one version of what was published earlier ...
    Google to sunset Google Site Search by end of 2017
    Published February 21, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Google is telling their Site Search customers they have to find a new internal search engine service.

Google has confirmed with Search Engine Land that they are discontinuing support for the Google Site Search product. Google Site Search is a paid product that lets you power your internal website’s search engine based on the Google search technology. Google charges based on monthly query volume for the product.

Google said they are directing those consumers to either the ad-powered product named free custom search engine or the new cloud search product.

Google will stop fully supporting the Google Site Search product by the fourth quarter of 2017.

Read the full article here:
    https://searchengineland.com/google-...-engine-269834
    Lets see ... You are paying a vendor for a web service. One day the vendor announces they will be retiring that service and suggests alternatives. Do you really want to continue to rely on a product that is unsupported and hang on until the bitter end ... or choose to be proactive?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Do you really want to continue to rely on a product that is unsupported and hang on until the bitter end ... or choose to be proactive?
    I know you are wanting to defend Barry and his decisions, and I respect loyalty, but, with all due respect, you are incorrect. For one thing, Barry didn't proactively do anything about search, that's why you guys are having to come up with wonky workarounds to search the site you are already on. That's not proactive.

For another thing, Google Site Search still works on everyone else's site. Just because Google stopped selling it and offering support in preparation for roll out of Custom Search Engine, there is no reason to not just leave a currently functional search box on a site.

Now, I really, really hope you pay attention to this part, even though you mods are unhappy with me for telling you what is going on: Graham, the reason a Google search box will not work on beesource is because Google has de-listed beesource. This goes to the other thread that nobody wants to pay attention to. OK? Those are facts. If you have a Google search box on your site, but the robots.txt file has been altered so that Google CAN NOT INDEX that site.....THAT is why the search box will not work. You are asking Google to look for something that you have specifically HIDDEN from Google.

Who did this and why they did it is a mystery to me, but the fact that beesource is invisible to all the search engines is not up for debate. You can prove it to yourself by trying to Google beekeeping related terms and find that while beesource for years was at the top of every Google page, it now will not show up anywhere.

That's why I'm showing you guys the traffic graphs on that other thread showing you how beesource has slipped over 65,000 positions just in the last 90 days. Stop sniping at the messenger and wake up. Beesource may not ever be able to recover what is being lost, even if the solution I have given you is enacted immediately.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

For the record, note that Admin is changing the robots.txt file to allow search bots to scan beesource.com/forums. That block was in place before VerticalScope acquired Beesource.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...32#post1587132

It will be interesting to see how/whether the ""Search beesource.com |" technique that was point of this thread changes after the search engines have worked their way through the forums after the robots.txt change.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by c-bees View Post
    Now, I really, really hope you pay attention to this part, even though you mods are unhappy with me for telling you what is going on: Graham, the reason a Google search box will not work on beesource is because Google has de-listed beesource. This goes to the other thread that nobody wants to pay attention to.
    There are NOT moderators unhappy that you brought up the issue of the contents of robots.txt. The reason that those posts of yours got deleted was the LANGUAGE you used. While you characterized it as "salty", F-bombs (and similar) are going to get any post deleted at Beesource.
    Language/Profanity. It is not acceptable to infer the use of a profane word by an acronym, or using **** or $^@*!. By the use of such characters it's being acknowledged by the user that the word implied isn't acceptable. Do not use language that is lewd, vulgar, coarse, off-color, crass, derogatory, or obscene. Respect the sites desire to not have any form of suggestive language used in its forums.

Read the rest here:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...94-Forum-Rules
    Graham

Hi,

Does this clear things up for you @c-bees? Regarding the robots.txt, we are in the process of changing this

Fergus

Quote Originally Posted by c-bees View Post

Now, I really, really hope you pay attention to this part, even though you mods are unhappy with me for telling you what is going on...

... Stop sniping at the messenger and wake up. Beesource may not ever be able to recover what is being lost, even if the solution I have given you is enacted immediately.
    I think all of the moderators appreciate the heads up from you. You're clearly a very knowledgeable person and will, I hope, be able to contribute much to this site. There are a couple of things that will trigger flags and moderation; anything even close to profanity and discussing moderation publicly.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Hello there @c-bees,

Please keep in mind this is how the forum is run by us. We are already on seeing how this "robot.txt" can be altered.
    We're sorry things are not going your way, we will listen to what you have to say but not everything will always go perfectly.

Best regards,

Ed