What's up with this site?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's up with this site?

I was curious what the per hive average was for different parts of the country, so I Googled it.

Seemed weird that Beesource wasn't at the top of the search results, because for years it has been at the top of Google returns on just about anything bee related.

So I did a Google search for "honeybee, beekeeping," and Beesource couldn't be found in the first 10 pages of Google results, so I quit looking. If you aren't in the first 10 pages of Google, you just don't exist.

So I looked at Beesource's robots.txt and found this:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wordpress/wp-admin/
    Disallow: /forums/
    Allow: /wordpress/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php
    Disallow: /wordpress/?blackhole

Why would the new owners here set up the robots.txt file so that search engines' spiders aren't permitted to index the forums?

I know why you would want to make a site more popular, never seen anyone try to make their own site less popular.

But I'm just a monkey pushing buttons, maybe I'm wrong about things. I've seen it happen.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What's up with this site?

Interesting..
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I typed beekeeping forums into my search engine and beesource is at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    I typed beekeeping forums into my search engine and beesource is at the top of the list.
    Me too, now that I did it. Of course, if you look right under the link, Google has this:
    "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt"

So if you do a Google search specifically for "beekeeping forums" or "beesource," this site will show up.

But try searching for:
    "when to split my hive" or "how to raise queen bees" or "how much to feed my honey bees this winter" or anything that used to bring people here, and you will not find beesource. At least I don't......

been like that for several years...nothing new

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Natural View Post
    been like that for several years...nothing new
    Nonsense, we all know what searches used to bring up Beesource at the top of Google......

I have asked VerticalScope Admin to comment on this issue, but they may not see it until Monday.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

If you want to get an answer regarding a beekeeping issue, just put

site:beesource.com at the end of your search. The answer will be found, but you will have to come here and view the ads to get the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    If you want to get an answer regarding a beekeeping issue, just put

site:beesource.com at the end of your search. The answer will be found, but you will have to come here and view the ads to get the answer.
    Thanks, but yeah, you and I know how to search this site for beekeeping answers we might need.....I'm mostly wondering how thousands of new folks will ever find this site if their beekeeping questions don't bring this site up on Google.

Using the Wayback machine, you can see that search engines stopped being able to index Beesource.com between June 9th and June 10th, 2017:

6-9-17

https://web.archive.org/web/20170609...com/robots.txt

--------------------------------
    6-10-17

https://web.archive.org/web/20170610...com/robots.txt
    Last edited by c-bees; 10-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting..
    Apparently not interesting enough for the new owners of this site to even respond to.

For my own amusement, I've started a game. It's called, "What comes up on Google before beesource.com when you do a beekeeping-related search?"

Actually, that's a trick, because the answer is, "Everything comes up on Google before beesource.com when you do a beekeeping-related search."

But here's today's winner: Google "how to become a beekeeper" and Popular Mechanics is #6 in the results.

where did you find that information? and the robot txt blocks are for the admin pages. Regular users and google crawlers don't need access to the admin pages.

lee

Lee, that robots.txt info can be found by pasting the following into a browser URL box and pressing Enter:
    beesource.com/robots.txt

I don't think anyone here cares about the Wordpress blocks. But the one that does look suspicious is highlighted ...

I have noticed myself that Google searches for terms where Beesource would normally be among the top results just don't have Beesource showing up anywhere near the top anymore.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-25-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham

Hi there,

The robots.txt exists to prevent spammers. The inclusion of the /forums/ line will be an intentional effort to protect the site.

Fergus

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Hi there,

The robots.txt exists to prevent spammers. The inclusion of the /forums/ line will be an intentional effort to protect the site.

Fergus
    I've been a web developer since the mid-nineties and that is an insane reason to block the forums from search engine results. All this site really is is the forum. It's SERP gold. I'm not buying it
    On the other hand, I am a fan of the Blackhole plugin for WP on the main site.

I understand VerticalScope's business model so why slow down the eyeball count? Spammers in a moderated forum with a CAPTCHA, double opt-in registration are the easiest thing to squash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenpin View Post
    I've been a web developer since the mid-nineties and that is an insane reason to block the forums from search engine results. All this site really is is the forum. It's SERP gold. I'm not buying it

I understand VerticalScope's business model so why slow down the eyeball count?
    Barry announced the changing of the guard on August 22, if I remember correctly. Search engines were blocked from indexing this site between June 9-10 if you see the Wayback results I linked to above. Who was actually in charge of the site on June 9-10? And why would they kill the site on all the search engines?

This is what happened to the traffic here when they altered the robots file:

https://www.semrush.com/
    Traffic Analytics: beesource.com
    bs-traffic.gif

Yes, we are being told silly things that aren't true, of course. Why? I have my own opinions but will leave that to the imagination of the reader.

C-bees, I'm guessing that you have a registered/membership at semrush.com, but it appears that without registering, data about beesource.com is obscured by a splash screen demanding mandatory registration.

So I didn't learn anything there.

(I did 'approve' the graphic you posted so that it would be visible in this thread.)

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    C-bees, I'm guessing that you have a registered/membership at semrush.com,
    Oh, you can just type in any e-mail address and any password and it lets you right in.

In the past I've used Alexa and other places, but lots of sites will show you the traffic of any website you want to see.

I have a small business, so I've had to learn a little about building sites and getting traffic.

If you go to verticalscope's website, you can look at all of their "acquisitions." They buy up message boards. Go look at the robots file on any of them you want, I challenge you to find one that has the whole message board set as invisible to search engines. I looked at a bunch.........

If the search engine spiders can't index a thing, people doing searches can not find that thing. In this case, the "thing" is beesource.com/forums. The whole message board.

The first guy said it was just the admin section blocking search engines, which was too silly to stick with, so the second guy said it was intentionally done to "block spammers", which is another way of calling all of us retarded.

It's too bad, for years beesource was the #1 go to place to learn about beekeeping, meet other folks in your area, maybe sell nucs or queens and other supplies, etc.....

I bet 99% of everybody that's ever come here did it through a search on Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, Bing, or some other search engine. Now the robots file tells every search engine to ignore the forums.

C-bees, very intriguing, why would this be? It must be some type of conspiracy theory
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Hello everyone,

So overall what I'm seeing, you guys want the site to be more popular?
    What is everyone's recommendation on this, let's hear some thoughts.

Best regards,

Ed

There was a time not long ago when Beesource got hacked, and my impression is that said hackers got in through a hole in Wordpress. I also think that hole was "fixed", but an abundance of caution led to the current robots.txt.

One of Barry's frustrations was the time that forum technical issues (including spam & hackers) took when he wasn't really (and didn't want to be) an IT professional.

So, considering that VerticalScope has other sites running vBulletin, and presumably has professionals defending their myriad of sites from hackers, it seems to me to be desirable to open /forums to search bots scanning. After all, a robots.txt file doesn't stop a hacker, as contents of robots.txt is only a "request" and is not enforceable against a bot with malicious intent.

If other VerticalScope sites are scannable by search bots, I see no reason not to allow Beesource.com/forums to also be scanned by the likes of Google, Yahoo, Bing etc.

FYI I found the comments by Telarin at this page interesting reading:
    http://forum.spamcop.net/topic/9273-...top-spam-bots/
    Granted, its related to email address harvesting, but still ... creative thinking.
    Graham

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast