What's up with this site?

Hybrid View

Default What's up with this site?

I was curious what the per hive average was for different parts of the country, so I Googled it.

Seemed weird that Beesource wasn't at the top of the search results, because for years it has been at the top of Google returns on just about anything bee related.

So I did a Google search for "honeybee, beekeeping," and Beesource couldn't be found in the first 10 pages of Google results, so I quit looking. If you aren't in the first 10 pages of Google, you just don't exist.

So I looked at Beesource's robots.txt and found this:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wordpress/wp-admin/
    Disallow: /forums/
    Allow: /wordpress/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php
    Disallow: /wordpress/?blackhole

Why would the new owners here set up the robots.txt file so that search engines' spiders aren't permitted to index the forums?

I know why you would want to make a site more popular, never seen anyone try to make their own site less popular.

But I'm just a monkey pushing buttons, maybe I'm wrong about things. I've seen it happen.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

Default Re: What's up with this site?

Interesting..
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting..
    Apparently not interesting enough for the new owners of this site to even respond to.

For my own amusement, I've started a game. It's called, "What comes up on Google before beesource.com when you do a beekeeping-related search?"

Actually, that's a trick, because the answer is, "Everything comes up on Google before beesource.com when you do a beekeeping-related search."

But here's today's winner: Google "how to become a beekeeper" and Popular Mechanics is #6 in the results.

where did you find that information? and the robot txt blocks are for the admin pages. Regular users and google crawlers don't need access to the admin pages.

lee

Lee, that robots.txt info can be found by pasting the following into a browser URL box and pressing Enter:
    beesource.com/robots.txt

I don't think anyone here cares about the Wordpress blocks. But the one that does look suspicious is highlighted ...

I have noticed myself that Google searches for terms where Beesource would normally be among the top results just don't have Beesource showing up anywhere near the top anymore.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-25-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hi there,

The robots.txt exists to prevent spammers. The inclusion of the /forums/ line will be an intentional effort to protect the site.

Fergus

Thank you. Those last two responses were effective and on-topic. Thanks for looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarDad View Post
    Thank you. Those last two responses were effective and on-topic. Thanks for looking into it.
    Yeah, really. This thread was like the Twilight Zone meets Dilbert.
    What a dumpster fire. I've been a trip sitter for people on LSD that were losing their minds but still had a more concrete grasp on reality than the people running this site.

I read about an SEO (search engine optimization) company that experimented with de-indexing a site until it disappeared from Google, just to see how long it took to regain their place. They are professionals, and even they didn't have the nerve to de-index for more than a couple days, for fear of losing their place permanently.

This place has been de-indexed from all search engines for over 4 months.

I would like to say that the site's current owners are aware of the incalculable damage that has been done and not only know exactly how to repair it (if it even can be) but are willing to put the time and effort into doing so.

I'm glad one mod and a couple others got it, but none of us control the site, so there isn't much we can do........

sorry c-bees, but from my perspective comments like that last one tend to show that your primary motivation is proving yourself right as opposed to having genuine concern for the well-being of the site.

this morning's google searches of 'beekeeping forum' and 'beekeeping discussion' resulted in 'beesource' showing up in the #1 position.

I typed beekeeping forums into my search engine and beesource is at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    I typed beekeeping forums into my search engine and beesource is at the top of the list.
    Me too, now that I did it. Of course, if you look right under the link, Google has this:
    "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt"

So if you do a Google search specifically for "beekeeping forums" or "beesource," this site will show up.

But try searching for:
    "when to split my hive" or "how to raise queen bees" or "how much to feed my honey bees this winter" or anything that used to bring people here, and you will not find beesource. At least I don't......

been like that for several years...nothing new

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Natural View Post
    been like that for several years...nothing new
    Nonsense, we all know what searches used to bring up Beesource at the top of Google......

I have asked VerticalScope Admin to comment on this issue, but they may not see it until Monday.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

A Russian hacker isn't going to Google "what is a cloake board?" and then steal all our discussions of it. That's what was secured from Google, not our names and street addresses. Read the earlier posts; they are clear about what happened.

If you want to get an answer regarding a beekeeping issue, just put

site:beesource.com at the end of your search. The answer will be found, but you will have to come here and view the ads to get the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    If you want to get an answer regarding a beekeeping issue, just put

site:beesource.com at the end of your search. The answer will be found, but you will have to come here and view the ads to get the answer.
    Thanks, but yeah, you and I know how to search this site for beekeeping answers we might need.....I'm mostly wondering how thousands of new folks will ever find this site if their beekeeping questions don't bring this site up on Google.

Using the Wayback machine, you can see that search engines stopped being able to index Beesource.com between June 9th and June 10th, 2017:

6-9-17

https://web.archive.org/web/20170609...com/robots.txt

--------------------------------
    6-10-17

https://web.archive.org/web/20170610...com/robots.txt
    Last edited by c-bees; 10-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of non-sequitur responses to C-bee's question; it is like people are not reading or understanding what he is talking about. Or maybe they think he has an agenda of some kind. He's not trying to sell us anything; he's legitimately asking why we went from visible on the web to hidden. It is a strange marketing move, but maybe there's some reason for it.

If I Google "Top Bar Hives" I'll find about 50 YouTube channels, Phillip Chandler's site, some books on Amazon, and maybe a Facebook group. But, 3 months ago, if I Googled the very same thing, I would also have found the Beesource Top Bar forum. I know this because I found Beesource when I googled "Top Bar Hive Plans" one day, and ended up reading the forums for 3 hours. I'm one of the many people who joined Beesource because every time I would Google a question, I would be directed here for an answer. I was coming here nearly every day, and then one day I wanted to ask a question and signed up.

So, I think it is a good question too. If someone asks about "mite treatment", don't we feel there might be some valuable information buried in our forums addressing that issue?

For the record, I'm not selling anything either. I also find it odd we are the number 1 source of beekeeping information on the web, but we are now hidden from the web. Those two things don't go together. Imagine if Wikipedia hid their site from search engines... it would be weird, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarDad View Post
    I also find it odd we are the number 1 source of beekeeping information on the web, but we are now hidden from the web. Those two things don't go together. Imagine if Wikipedia hid their site from search engines... it would be weird, right?

You haven't seen anything yet. Do you have any idea what happens to sites that Verticalscope takes over? Do a Google search for (a particular four letter word)-Verticalscope. Data breaches, hackings, viruses, just to name a few of the treats lined up for everybody. Look it up for yourself.

Meanwhile, they are just ruining this site for now. Don't believe me? Ever heard of Alexa? Look what started happening to traffic here in June, when the robots file was sabotaged:

btthrtbtchboys.jpg

It's a race to the bottom, boys and girls! How low can we go? See that number in the red rectangle? It says Beesource has dropped more than 56,000 places in the last 90 days.

Most members here don't actively post for more than a few months, but their place is taken by the new crop of folks continually finding their way here through all of the diligent searches they do online in preparation for their exciting new adventure in beekeeping, just like all of you. That's all going to start grinding to a halt as the natural cycle of turnover stops.

It takes a while to gradually get dropped from all of the search engines. By the time you notice, and a few of you have started noticing, it's too late.

A good forum is like an organism. The old guys share with the new guys, a percentage of the newbies age and learn and become vets themselves, taking new crops of neophytes under their wing.....Kind of like a hive.

Now the supply of new folks finding their way here has dried up drastically. Eventually the experienced posters will drift away, with nobody to share with.....And by then, even if you try to attract the newbies again, there's not many experienced guys around to answer the endless questions.

The cycle was broken, everybody drifts away.

I've seen it happen whenever companies like Verticalscope take over once-thriving sites.

In this day and age, even the most powerful credit reporting agency like Equifax got hacked into. Millions of
    consumer's data got stolen. By the time the situation got discovered, it was already too late. I can see a forum
    like this with all its new and old moderators have to find a way to protect it. As a member of this forum, all I want is
    to learn about beekeeping and to share what I know so far.

Yes, there is a change here day-by-day ever since the new owner take over. Just take a look of the little new sub-forums that have been added. The new traffic is not as much compare to before. This is due to the changed made here and so is the ranking by google which is based on indexing by traffic. Behind the scene we don't know much of the decision made for a need to change it. I'm sure there is a reason to for security purposes and its long term business survival. We are in a change for both self-protection and the ability to survive at this age. The one who know how to protect and grow will be the winner at the end. For it, maybe a temporary of no growth but the core of the business can be preserved, however fewer new members that signed up. I'm not speaking for the admins here, just what is going on right now and what I've observed so far.

Maybe one day we can go over this change and bear new leaves afterward when the business environment is not too insecure anymore. For now being able to protect and branch out gradually will be the correct choice made. After all, we are in an uncertain environment both locally and globally. Let's hope that Bee Source can survive this ever changing competitive business environment!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?