What's up with this site? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What's up with this site?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    we would love to hear more about your 7 years, 30 colonies, and no chemical treatments. please start a thread if you are so inclined.
    Thanks, funny you mentioned that. If you look at the very first sentence of the first post on this thread you'll see that I was trying to Google up per hive honey yields in different parts of the country, and specifically I was trying to find treatment free per hive yields, in preparation for a thread I was about to start about our results this year.

I searched for "per hive average yield, honey" and was surprised that beesource.com couldn't be found.

That's what started this whole thing.

I have since had Google re-index so many beesource pages concerning honey yields that "per hive average yield, honey" now brings beesource.com up at the very top, as opposed to not at all.

I'm still working on other search terms like, " "treatment free, per hive average yield, honey" and you can, too. For example, Google this: "beesource.com treatment free, per hive average yield, honey" and that will of course bring up beesource.com results. Now click on all of those pages, copy the entire URL in your browser bar, and open up that Google re-index tool I linked to above, and paste it in and submit.

If enough of us do that with as many pages as possible, eventually any Google search for honey yields per hive will bring this site up for folks that have never heard of beesource.

That creates a positive feedback loop that Google likes. Unique visits are rewarded. Number of pages viewed and time spent on this site tell Google's algorithms that the content here must match the search term entered, and this site will increasingly be rewarded with higher rankings, which in turn allow more unique visitors to find us here.

A landing page with a low bounce rate is great. It tells Google that a search brought the user to a site's landing page, and the user stayed at that site and didn't immediately "bounce" somewhere else. Again, that tells Google that the content of the landing page was relevant enough to keep the user here.

Sorry, I hope I'm not over-explaining things, I know folks here aren't dumb, but maybe my communications skills are lacking sometimes, and it's vital for beesource that people "get it."

But yeah, I look forward to starting a thread about my treatment free per hive honey averages this year.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    I saw the recent post you made on your treatment free per hive honey yields. I'm sure both of us just re-submitted that page to Google for re-indexing. Another tip is to Google for a page here, and don't just click on it, but click on it and click on at least 5 other pages on the site, and leave your browser on the page. I'll minimize that window and leave it there while opening other windows, and just leave each window on the site for at least 5-10 minutes. Because, like I mentioned above, low bounce rate, high page clicks and longer "time on site" numbers all are rewarded by Google.

These are the current stats for beesource.com at alexa.com:

bs-alexa copy.jpg

Edit: and now, the same phrase that didn't return beesource at all earlier in this thread (treatment free, per hive average yield, honey) Now brings up Squarepeg's thread #2 on Google! It will be #1 by tomorrow, I bet........

And that's all we have to do............

Edit 2: OK, it just slipped to #3, but I'll work on it......

very cool!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

The link that Google presents to squarepeg's thread, when clicked, takes you to page #66, which only has 3 posts and all are from today. The earliest post there is timestamped 6:36 pm, less than 90 minutes ago.

(I just noticed that Google characterizes that link as "57 minutes ago", so fairly current.)
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I typed in squarepeg and went to about page nine with nothing and then put treatment free behind it and sqarepeg's thread came up second but I found this interesting.
    www.beesource.com

www.beesource.com/...squarepeg-2015-2017-treatment-free-experience
    We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.

The part that says "site won't allow us" made me wonder. This was a bing search and not google.

I have did none of the things that cbay has mentioned cause as bad as it sounds, some are not that smart even with tutoring. I did leave the window up while I came back and typed this.

Just a report to show my experiance incase it is of any use. I don't claim to be einstein.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The link that Google presents to squarepeg's thread, when clicked, takes you to page #66, which only has 3 posts and all are from today. The earliest post there is timestamped 6:36 pm, less than 90 minutes ago.

(I just noticed that Google characterizes that link as "57 minutes ago", so fairly current.)
    Yeah, you never know how they change their algorithms, but it's always safe to assume they give more weight to new content, and sites that are more active get more points, so that's why I've been having Google re-index new posts, and every time someone responds to that thread, or any new thread, I'll have them re-index it again. Then Google's little bots get the message that stuff is happening, and they'll start coming back and re-indexing the whole site more often, on their own......

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post

www.beesource.com/...squarepeg-2015-2017-treatment-free-experience
    We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.

The part that says "site won't allow us" made me wonder. This was a bing search and not google.
    That's Bing's way of saying that, as Google puts it, "This site's robots.txt won't allow us to give a description of this page," or something to that effect. It's a lingering effect of the robots.txt being messed up, but that should be going away as the Google spiders re-index everything.....

Just one question...Where do we send the tuition for this online education?
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Are there bonus Google tracking points if an order is placed by going to the site from a beesource add rather than directly to the site?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post

i believe this site will go extinct if handled like that...... Why?
    Thanks for also looking into it. I only know that the robots file was altered on June 10th, 2017, and all search engines de-listed this site completely. Now there are new owners...web professionals who should have known this and don't appear interested in it. I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Just a report to show my experiance incase it is of any use. I don't claim to be einstein.
    Thanks for taking the time.........Most of this stuff is over my head, too.....I didn't go to college or anything, and I only took a couple computer classes in prison, but I spent most of my time in the hole for fighting, so I never completed any courses really.....But I can get coffeed up and Google enough stuff to act like I know things

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Just one question...Where do we send the tuition for this online education?
    I thought everyone knew this stuff......At least everyone with a small business website should know the basics of search engine optimization. I keep hoping a real professional will nudge me out of the way and tell us what we really should be doing. Unfortunately the Alexa ratings show that beesource is still falling......We had fallen 56,500 places in the last 90 days before we got the robots.txt fixed. Now we've fallen 56,831 places in the last 90 days. I have no idea if the downward spiral can be halted, or how long it will take.

That's why most folks fight to get top rankings in Google and stay up at night trying to learn how to stay there. Completely de-indexing your whole site for over four months......I mean, not to beat a dead horse, but that's insanity, I've never heard of anyone ever doing anything like that.......When you are #1 in search, you are whats clicked on and it's very hard for anyone else to take your spot. Right now other sites are #1 for all of these searches, and nobody is going to go too much past the first page of Google looking for results. So....yeah, who knows, we'll see what happens. It would be awesome if Google just re-indexed and gave beesource all of it's old rankings back, but four months............

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Are there bonus Google tracking points if an order is placed by going to the site from a beesource add rather than directly to the site?
    I don't know much about ads on sites, not my thing. I know Google says even a Google adword campaign won't improve your SEO rankings....they don't want it to be thought that high rankings can just be bought.....so I think if you click on an ad at beesource, that helps verticalscope, the company that currently own beesource and is selling ads on here, but I can't imagine it will help the Google rankings......
    Last edited by c-bees; 10-30-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by c-bees View Post
    Thanks for also looking into it. I only know that the robots file was altered on June 10th, 2017, and all search engines de-listed this site completely. Now there are new oners...web professionals who should have known this and don't appear interested in it. I have no idea why.
    One member of the support team misunderstood something explained to them, this does not show disinterest. We do not make a point of checking the robots.txt file when we cut something to our servers because generally we don't expect a mistake of that magnitude and effect to be done, we are still investigating why. Once it was escalated to the right people it was taken care of in a matter of 30 minutes due to them fixing some other issues. I appreciate your passion for the subjects of beekeeping and of SEO but this situation is well outside of the norm we deal with. We've made an effort to be courteous with you as have the mods, I'd ask that you stop making such assumptions as we aren't interested in the site's problems. Ranking on Google and Alexa will restore in time though we do get red flagged as a company if we reindex whole sites too often. As a result we are watching the ranking grow back organically to see if the full site reindex is necessary or if it will right itself in a fast enough manner.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kyle

Admin, I'm happy with your plan...The people I listen to are still here and engaged...I'm happy.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Hi there,

Apologies, I initially misjudged the problem. This is being dealt with accordingly. Of course we want the site to appear in google searches.

Fergus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123