hornet wasp trap

Default hornet wasp trap

just thought I would share this. Getting overrun by all variants of hornet and wasp. put out my usual traps which have a top and bottom chamber; one with scented water and the other with a lure. But the store ran out of the replacement lures so I got two other traps. One was a sealed bag that you gut a hole at the top, add water, and hang. those are doing ok. This one was one I wasn't sure about but evidently works. Just a pattern with sticky fly paper on it.
    IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    There have hundreds of dead in them after a few days
    IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    Terrence

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: hornet wasp trap

Looks like an assortment of effective traps. I've made a lot of wasp traps over the years and have found the wasp pheremone trap works best for me. I usually have wasps circling the trap as I am adding the lure and water. We have a very healthy wasp population (I've identified 9 species of wasps on our property) and have found that trapping the new queens in the spring (the newly mated queens are the only wasps to overwinter) really cuts down on the wasp population.

I use the W-H-Y traps and homemade ones. Both are very effective. The W-H-Y trap upper portion (with the water) is the section that catches European hornets and the yellow jackets for me as well. The bottom portion may have a a couple of wasps at most. Love these traps! I have an inch and a half of dead wasps in less than a week.
    Plan to hang them out in the early spring as well.

Hmm, I have been lucky this year, not many YJ's bothering my hives, knock on wood.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by suburbanrancher View Post
    I use the W-H-Y traps and homemade ones. Both are very effective. The W-H-Y trap upper portion (with the water) is the section that catches European hornets and the yellow jackets for me as well. The bottom portion may have a a couple of wasps at most. Love these traps! I have an inch and a half of dead wasps in less than a week.
    Plan to hang them out in the early spring as well.
    I remember vaguely someone saying putting rotting meat or something like that in the top part attacts them as a homemade refill for the why ones. those refills ain't cheap.
    and now due to the season I can buy a snowblower but not stuff to kill wasps. go figure.
    I'd like to get it out that early to get the queen but up here in cold country I most likely still have freezing temps and snow on the ground when they first emerge. wonder if having them out all year giving them less foragers would reduce fall numbers?
    Terrence