I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your thoughts. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your though

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Sounds like a small fair lol
    That's kind of where I got some of the ideas. When we lived in Stockton CA I'd take the kids to the Christmas tree festival put on by on of the museums. As part of it they had old world crafts for the kids to do. One of them was making dipped candles and the other one I really enjoyed the kids doing was making corn husk dolls.

When we lived in Hoquiam WA we would take the kids out every year to Chapman Farms in Elma and it was there that I got the idea of the cut out face idea. They had a couple different display cut outs for the kids to pop their face into but its the one that had the year and the name of the farm that was the must do every year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your though

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I take it back... you can't have *too many* things to do... 20-30 kids - if any start asking questions like "sooo - why does the drone die after mating?", you can jump right to "WELL! How about getting those pictures now - wouldn't that be GREAT!" lol
    Good point. Another fact I'm hoping to skim over is the honey stomach question. Once my kids found that out they had a really tough time enjoying honey. In fact one of them still turns her nose up to it. I'll have to talk to her about sharing her feelings to the others. Ignorance is bliss!

"You mean we just ate bee blow! EEEwwwww!" lol

I tell everyone that honey is bee vomit. Once they get over that, I tell them the truth. Much easier to accept at that point.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I think you have a lot of great ideas that will work well including the extraction which is always a big but messy hit. I've taught a lot of classes to children (and adults) of all ages including 4-5 year olds and it has always been my preference if possible to bring the kids to the beeyard and suit them up. I realize that is not practical if you don't have the protective bee gear. Here is a resource site for beekeeping education (http://strathconabeekeepers.blogspot...html#education). Also, I realize your class is only 2-4 hrs but the 4H has a number of published beekeeping books (http://strathconabeekeepers.blogspot...asicbeekeeping). Good luck. I'm sure you will do well. jack.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12