ID this flower

Thread: ID this flower

Question ID this flower

Can anyone ID this flower? My bees love them, as well as other pollinators.22519459_10155848524228385_6475444510852396973_n.jpg
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ID this flower

One of the asters. Maybe Small White, or Multi-flowered White.

I have been calling something simular "oldfield hairy aster or frost aster"
    My picture.

augst 8 001.jpg
    Cheers
    gww
    PS The white ones not quite in bloom yet in this picture not the blue ones that are also attached (false foxglove I think) that was added cause it is hard to tell when trying to add them cause I can't blow them up first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    One of the asters. Maybe Small White, or Multi-flowered White.
    Thanks!
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Is this a perennial aster? I mean do they regrow the next season?
    And do you have some saved seeds you are willing to share in exchange for some
    of my yellow Nygers seeds?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Is this a perennial aster? I mean do they regrow the next season?
    And do you have some saved seeds you are willing to share in exchange for some
    of my yellow Nygers seeds?
    Hey, Beepro,

funny story with these asters. They magically appeared in our chicken run last year after the chickens tore the grass all to heck. I think they are rhizome based? If I can figure out how to transplant a rhizome I will send you. They actually appear to be growing all over the woods by the lake.

-Thomas

I have the small tubers to send you in return. They are the green oxalis with bell-shaped yellow flowers that the
    bees like during the early Spring time. They're growing now. They will spread just like your asters.

To dig the rhizome, it is very simple. Find the smallest plants as you can because this year I will forgo the flowers. Then
    dig up the entire root ball and shake off the attaching dirt. You then will have just the roots and rhizomes attached to the
    plants. Then use a knife or a plant shears to trim off the top stems leaving about a 1/2" of stems on. Then pack the rhizome in a few damp paper towels inside a plastic bag. And put the plastic bag inside a shipping package box. USPS is the cheaper way to send it to me. It is that simple!

Let me know if you have interest in the yellow oxalis tubers.
    Last edited by beepro; 10-27-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Can anyone ID this flower? My bees love them, as well as other pollinators.22519459_10155848524228385_6475444510852396973_n.jpg
    Looks like Spanish Needle. When was picture taken? Spanish Needle has just about stopped blooming here in north Florida

def white aster, not a tuber, seed bearing flower head. typical aster same as purple, and blues.