Kelley wax foundation for honey supers

Default Kelley wax foundation for honey supers

Has anyone used Kelley wax foundation in their supers? I used it some years ago....but don't recall it being larger than their brood foundation. Just curious if their odd sized cells actually keep queens from laying in them….as advertised.

This foundation is embossed with 5.6mm cells that are slightly larger than standard, but not large enough to be considered drone foundation (6.4 mm) by the queen. This will be unusual to the queen and she will prefer not to lay eggs in it,
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Kelley wax foundation for honey supers

I have used what I think they used to call 7/11 foundation, bigger cells than worker but smaller than drone. It is thin, primarily for comb honey use. I wired some and it worked fine for extracting supers. My hope was to eliminate queen excluders.
    BUT!!!.....the queen will happily lay it all up as drone brood, especially if your brood combs are all worker foundation. Therefore you do need to use it above a queen excluder. And there is the inconvenience that if you want combs for brood chambers, you can not use it for that. I regret using it and as usual I made far too many supers with it. I keep them all together in well labeled boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have used what I think they used to call 7/11 foundation
    Yeah….that’s the stuff. I will avoid it then.

I have pretty much convinced myself that I’m going to make a load of wax foundation frames this winter. It’s been a long time since I’d done so….been plastic for a number of years….and I vividly remember what a misery it is to use wax but I am anxious to get a good load of new comb and I also remember how quickly the bees will draw it.

I’ve tried painting on extra wax to the plastic foundation but it is just as miserable as working with wax foundation and it uses up my wax….i.e. no candles for the market.

Anyway….I appreciate the reply and will stick with ordinary wax foundation.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I save our wax for waxing foundation, buy cheap ebay wax for making candles.
    A good coat on the plastic and the bees draw it beautifully. A good winter project, makes the house smell so good as you melt it.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Forty five years into beekeeping, I am just recently experiencing using plastic foundation because I get so much from failing beginners. I always add wax, I have plenty. It has to be drawn by a swarm or package with feeding. Or by a strong powerful hive on a good flow. Here, I can't put new plastic on too early or too late in a honey super, the bees will ignore it and only work the drawn comb next to it. But at the peak of the flow I get great combs on powerful hives. I ran out of drawn comb again this year and added supers full of Ritecell on 7/18 with only one drawn comb in the middle to entice them up. That comb was filled full but the Ritecell ignored. The strong flow had ended.

Quote Originally Posted by missybee View Post
    I save our wax for waxing foundation, buy cheap ebay wax for making candles.
    When I display candles at the market alongside my honey…both me and my customers have pretty high expectations. My customers expect and I assure them that everything I bring was produced by my bees and harvested by me. I have yet to buy wax that looks and smells as grand as what I harvest.

Also…as I said….I have added wax to plastic foundation and it is just as labor intensive as using wax foundation.

I think I’ll stick to my plan but thanks for the suggestion.

This is the first year we have had excess wax, just 6 lbs.

The e-bay wax I bought was very nice, great smell. I bought it just to make a few candles for the first time.

I have thought of using wax foundation, but my rite cell works great so just sticking with it.

Some day we will have enough of our own wax.

Neat that you have enough to make candles, they do like it when you can say it is all from your own hives.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Forty five years into beekeeping
    Only about fifteen years here running a couple of hundred hives. Yet.....I think I understand the dynamics to get comb drawn. I painted wax onto plastic foundation once...painting 9 of the 10 placed into a super. The one frame with the factory wax only was placed in the center. All were fully drawn within a week....during a flow.....except one. It went untouched.
    I've gotten much the same from wax foundation. Readily drawn....much quicker and complete than factory waxed plastic.
    I seem to run out of drawn comb each year before the flow ends but after the 'strong' flow. It necessitates a mid season extraction with the comb returned to the hives. Next spring I want to get that comb inventory up.

my formatting and clipping:
    Forty five years into beekeeping, I am just recently experiencing using plastic foundation ......
    I always add wax, I have plenty.
    It has to be drawn by a swarm or package with feeding. Or by a strong powerful hive on a good flow.

Here, I can't put new plastic on too early or too late in a honey super, the bees will ignore it and only work the drawn comb next to it.
    But at the peak of the flow I get great combs on powerful hives.
    I ran out of drawn comb again this year and added supers full of Ritecell on 7/18 with only one drawn comb in the middle to entice them up. That comb was filled full but the Ritecell ignored. The strong flow had ended.
    Thank you.
    This should be something provided to anyone starting to use plastic foundation for the first time.
    I too have found it very much more trouble that wax.

I have considered some of the Acorn plastic that is supposed to be more heavily coated….but I am not sure how good of a job they really do. Wax foundation is pretty certain.

I used foundation of any sort for the first time this year, and used heavy wax acorn. I had around 700 frames of it pulled this year and all were done well and fast. Before the main summer flow, a full box of deeps I put on top to get drawn for honey was mostly drawn together even before they were all needed. They were drawing them as needed this fall until the ongoing dry spell finished the flow a couple weeks ago. Grooved top and bottom and snap them in. Easy. You will like them.

beemandan, the Kelly wax foundation is made specifically for Comb Honey. all my bees where used this season, in 10 colonies, loved it so much...they tear it apart starting at the edges. didn't draw one frame, although they did start some cells on one frame back in Aug this year. sucks. they straight refused to draw on it, and they were all artificial swarms, and one captured swarm, back in May at the start of blackberry flow, first year no comb honey imo due to the kelly foundation, but who knows I'm not a bee and can only guess as to why.

Wax foundation is only used for starter strips in my comb honey supers. All foundation/frames need to be drawn on a flow or by nucs being fed heavily. Extra wax helps. One can just rub wax bars on plastic foundation to pretty quickly put on extra wax.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I have considered some of the Acorn plastic that is supposed to be more heavily coated….but I am not sure how good of a job they really do. Wax foundation is pretty certain.
    The stuff is amazing. I don't have tens of thousands of them, but have a couple thousand and they're just great. So much better than Rite Cell.