Lost the queen. Where will she go?

Embarrassed Lost the queen. Where will she go?

I just had the queen in a catcher and was transferring her to a cage when she surprised me with a quick fake right and she jumped left and flew off! Up, up and away and I lost her. Should have taken more care, I know. Anyway, there are 4 hives 100 yards away and her hive (observation) on the other side of the sunporch. I'm looking around but it's a needle in a haystack. I've remounted and opened the OH. Will she make it back in? Will the workers show me where she is in the trees? Am I S.O.L.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lost the queen. Where will she go?

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    I just had the queen in a catcher and was transferring her to a cage when she surprised me with a quick fake right and she jumped left and flew off! Up, up and away and I lost her. Should have taken more care, I know. Anyway, there are 4 hives 100 yards away and her hive (observation) on the other side of the sunporch. I'm looking around but it's a needle in a haystack. I've remounted and opened the OH. Will she make it back in? Will the workers show me where she is in the trees? Am I S.O.L.?
    Was she mated? If mated in the hive she was taken from, she might go back. Otherwise, you are probably SOL. I lost a couple virgins (ok 3, back to back to back within a few minutes, was not a good day) transferring cages in the field. I do it in my truck now, havent lost one since.

RE: cages, if you are virgins (like for II), use california mini cages. My bank was sealing up all the queens with wax in hair roller cages, hence the need to recage them.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

Mated but the colony was in distress. I'll look again in the morning.

If she has good memory of the location of this hive then she will come back. If not then
    might as well get them another mated queen or do a combine. We've all been there before.
    I like to do night time beekeeping to check on the virgin nuc hive these days. She won't be likely
    to fly away at night time.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I lost one just the other day. They say she will orient on you, so stand still. Mine was already marked and within minutes, she was coming back to the nuc from which I pulled her. If you don't find her in the hive, look for a clump of bees on the ground.

Thanks for the shared experiences folks. I'll look for her back in the OH today. I did wait around and watched for her as well as a gathering of bees. I'll do the same again today but not holding out much hope. The OH suffered a bad SHB outbreak and I cleaned a lot of it out. Low on bees, missing many frames. Hardly a home at all. Might be best to just shut it down for winter or move another colony into it.

she will find her way back to her own hive or end up in queen heaven. maybe 50 : 50. wait and see. the answer above that says the first thing you do is not move for awhile is a best immediate "to do" answer, then see what the situation is the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    . I lost a couple virgins (ok 3, back to back to back within a few minutes, was not a good day) transferring cages in the field. I do it in my truck now, havent lost one since.
    Also it happened to me. Is there an other solution to avoid these occurences? For instance, water sprinkling over the queen?

Usually I put my queens in a queen clip in the yard and bring them inside to mark, etc, but after I lost one at the garden center where I was doing a bee nuc inspection, I started using a butterfly enclosure to do the transfers. Pretty inexpensive to pick up on Amazon. I've had plenty try to fly off in this habitat while I'm working with them (and the door is unzipped so I have my hands in there, and all they can do it go to the top and I pick them up again. This one has a clear window so you can see while you are working.

http://www.butterflyfarmingsupplies....-5-x-11-5.html

Yes, if I do more with queens (which I plan to do this coming season) I should get something. Your butterfly cage reminded me that I saw something a long time ago. It's a muff: https://www.kelleybees.com/queen-muff.html Comparing the value of a queen, I think either is a worthy investment for anyone doing any kind of transfer work.

I had that happen to me this year. I had a good friend over and we were doing inspections on some hives. I opened the top and I noticed the marked queen staring at me. I very slowly tried to replace the inner cover when she said bye bye. Luckily my friend was able to watch her and she landed a few feet away next to another colony. I picked her up and put her back into her home. Right before I closed the hive up, bam she takes off again. I have never seen that happen before. I had extra queens available so I was able to fix the issue but it was one of Mike Palmers Queens that took off.

I had one fly off on me this year as well. She was marked. I decided to let the hive replace her on their own. When I did an inspection a week later I found she was back and there were no queen cells so she must have taken a short vacation.

I've had a few mated ones take off and they've never come back. But here and friends I know locally who keep bees have had some come back. So maybe you'll get lucky.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF