5 Hives, no honey to harvest!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5 Hives, no honey to harvest!

I moved my five hives to a new yard this season due to an illness. The area seemed pretty promising. 8 frame hives built up pretty decent, by July I started adding supers. Checked every 2 weeks or so and none were being built up. Checked yesterday, they look the same as in July.

All are the same, deeps have honey, but no bursting supers spilling with honey.

Anyone ever have a location this bad?

Local area....neighborhoods, plenty of water, woods, forest preserve, lots of grasses, flowers etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Maybe they have a heavy might or disease load are could not keep up their moment as the season progressed despite a promising spring and early summer.

Default Re: 5 Hives, no honey to harvest!

Were these package bees and where did you purchase them?
    I doubt the area is the issue. How did you install your queens?

Not sure when your main flow would be, but july seems kinda late to put on supers. here in southern ohio, They are about done building and storing by july, and then hives start losing weight and contracting through the summer until the fall flow (which failed here this year).
    Mistakes are the best taechers

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    Not sure when your main flow would be, but july seems kinda late to put on supers. here in southern ohio, They are about done building and storing by july, and then hives start losing weight and contracting through the summer until the fall flow (which failed here this year).
    I'm not far from this guy, in Ogle county which is N. Illinois. Last year there was a great late flow, and they were filling supers right through October.
    This year, nada. I have four hives, and took off two frames (not supers. frames) to give some honey to a guest. That is all I took, and shouldn't have taken that!
    It was weird weather this year, super wet spring, and super dry summer/fall.

All packages, from California companies. Queens introduced thru cages, they eat the candy etc

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I'm not far from this guy, in Ogle county which is N. Illinois. Last year there was a great late flow, and they were filling supers right through October.
    This year, nada. I have four hives, and took off two frames (not supers. frames) to give some honey to a guest. That is all I took, and shouldn't have taken that!
    In Lake Villa. Even when we had that super drought a couple years ago I was able to harvest 100+ pounds...

I didn't have to feed last year, wintered in two deeps with a medium super full of honey on top. This year...
    I think for me a big part was not treating when I should have early. If they are fighting mites they are not collecting nectar is what I'm thinking, on top of the weird weather.

I had a five hive site that produced 22 lbs and a 13 hive site that produced 108 lbs. Both sites had a few overwintered hives and the rest this years bait swarms. Both sites normally have marginal crops.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I must agree here. Its not always about location, but it is always about weather.

We took no honey last year, but this year we got nearly 5 gallons from 4 colonies.......and was largely due to weather and rain at the right times.

My hives are in northern Lake County. It was strange year with about 20% producing nothing. However I had some hives with 4-5 supers producing over 150 pounds per hive. I am not a fan of California bees. Check with your local bee club as I think they offered a couple of choices. I must admit it had a lot to do with the weather and in my case with queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner View Post
    My hives are in northern Lake County. It was strange year with about 20% producing nothing. However I had some hives with 4-5 supers producing over 150 pounds per hive. I am not a fan of California bees. Check with your local bee club as I think they offered a couple of choices. I must admit it had a lot to do with the weather and in my case with queens.
    I was thinking about the Cali bees. If needed I will go south next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner View Post

Overwintered colonies? What do you do to manage mites?

We tried bees from Georgia a few years ago and had very poor results.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I must agree here. Its not always about location, but it is always about weather.

We took no honey last year, but this year we got nearly 5 gallons from 4 colonies.......and was largely due to weather and rain at the right times.

Kind of like farming unless you have irrigation.

There have been several seasons that I have had welfare bees.

LOL...my Cali Almond Bee colonies produced 250lbs each this year. Cali bees are dank and very good producers, stop blaming the bees.
    It's YOUR management tech. not the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    LOL...my Cali Almond Bee colonies produced 250lbs each this year. Cali bees are dank and very good producers, stop blaming the bees.
    It's YOUR management tech. not the bees.
    hahaha. 250 lbs each. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    hahaha. 250 lbs each. hahaha
    Thought the same thing

Below avg production across the US this year.
    Even with drawn comb I only did 124 APH this year compared to 208 APH last year. Some of my best hives did 6-7 super this year, but a lot didn't do much. The weather plays the biggest part in this business. You can have some the best production yards, but if the weather is cool and wet when the bees should be pull in the crop. You get very little and what they do get they eat. Of coarse you still have to have hive strong enough to bring in the crop too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast