Splits failing plz help - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Splits failing plz help

JG, that is great news. You probably wont see any bees flying for several days except for those real short cleansing flights. Little hops where they come out, fly for a few inches, then land and crawl back inside. Perfectly normal. Flight activity will get going in another week or so as the need for pollen increases.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Good to hear. I was wondering why I found one on the ground a couple feet from the hive that looked healthy. Do you think it is safe to go back to the 5/8 hole entrance?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Do you think it is safe to go back to the 5/8 hole entrance?
    No.

Clyderoad said it best, but I am a little more verbose. At a bare minimum you need to wait until you have significant forager activity. In all reality, I would guess about 5-6 weeks from now. You will be able to tell when because there will be a bottleneck of bees trying to get in and out of the opening. Not the same as a cloud of bees waiting to land. You may not need to open it until early spring if the hive doesn't take off right away.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

10-4. I'll wait.

I would not wait that long to check for the queen's well being and that there are
    eggs inside this nuc hive. The same goes to the out yard nuc hive. With the coming of winter it
    is better that you check for the mites and a live queen in there. Without a live queen inside then this hive
    cannot make it through this winter. If this nuc hive is heavy with the mite load then the early Spring time build
    up will crashed this hive also. The new eggs will bring another new round of the big fat winter bees. And we all know that
    the mites will be inside these cap broods making the big fat winter bees impossible to sustain. Without those new bees
    your nuc will dwindle away over the next few months. Right now they still have a chance. So check for the mites, queen and the eggs too!

I did a direct released on one queen and put the 2nd queen inside the 2 frames laying cage. The one that I did a direct released last evening was gone this morning. I'd assume that the older bees got her alright. The one still inside the 2 frames cage is alive along with 80 fat nurse bees. Over the next few days the older foragers will get used to her and I will add more young nurse bees in with her until she is laying inside the cage. Hopefully she will make it too.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Sorry to hear that one of the queens you were waiting for got balled. We weren't discussing opening the hive, which of course should be done for inspections, rather the entrance which is currently reduced to prevent robbing that has been a problem recently.

Sorry you lost your queen beepro. We may be getting hit by the hurricane this weekend. If not, we will probably get tropical force winds. I've about had enough with storms this year. Never thought I'd hope for a cold front. Plans are to check the other nuc tomorrow. I may need to bring it home. The canal funnels wind right towards them.

Bummer news. The hive at my parents is full of wax moth larve and no bees. I don't see adult moths,so I'm going to expose everything to the Florida sun and then wash away crispy critters. Is it safe to fog the remaining nuc with ox.acid?

Nope, I did not lost this queen yet. She's all beat up with a tattered right wing but is
    surviving. I found her in a small ball of bees with one mean bee clamping to her left leg. So I
    put her inside the original cage that she came from with 4 fat nurse bees. And put her inside another nuc hive with
    another original queen that I caged her also. So 2 queens got caged now inside one nuc hive.

As soon as the queen inside the 2 frames laying cage got accepted, I will release the 2nd bought queen in there. This
    time she will spend a long time in this cage. Yes, definitely take the other nuc home since the hive situation is stabilize
    now somewhat. Facing the coming of a hurricane they will not go out robbing anytime soon. Hopefully they can withstand
    this wind if you strap everything down. Let us know how it goes.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

My main hive is bringing in a good bit of whitish pollen. Any ideas as to what plant it comes from?

Could it be melaleuca? I think it blooms this time of year and is white.

I looked it up and it looks like I am too far north for them. I found a chart that suggested clematis have white pollen. A few people grow them in the neighborhood. Does that sound like a reasonable possibility?

On another note, any ideas on what happened to my failed nuc? My Mom mentioned seeing a lot of bees outside the hive. I'm thinking the swarmed, but don't know what would cause it.

I think it was shb larve and not wax moth that I found in the crashed hive.

This storm has me up. The winds sound worse than expected, but weather channel says It isn't too bad. I'm so worried I'd lose my hives. I hope everyone fares well. I know some of you are in the direct path.

Don't worry there. We always made it through no matter what. That is the survival
    spirit that we all carry. The same goes for the bees also. Even during the last flood here they
    will cuddle together while protecting their queen inside. This is all you can do for your bees and
    hope for the best now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    I think it was shb larve and not wax moth that I found in the crashed hive.
    Do you have a photo? I'm thinking that was awful fast to get infested and have the bees abscond.

I don't have a picture. Some looked too long to be fly larve and it looked just like the pictures online. ?. My main hive had a high number of shb, but we're keeping them corraled. The number of adults appears to be dropping since putting de under the hive. I thought I had moved clean frames over. We checked them over. The other hive doesn't appear to be having the same issue. Their hive leaked in the storm and few were on top of the frames when I peeked in. However, it looked like they were clustered lower on the frames.

Just found the nuc at the house nearly empty. Queen left and the hive is slimed. Why do I keep losing nucs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

honestly like stated before by someone you should have waited till spring.
    Bees are driven by the daylength hours, just because you have it warm in FL
    bees react to the length of the daysnot the temps, temps do help drive them.
    But once winter hours are less than 15hrs oer day bees shut down.
    it's way to late in the year to make nucs and splits.
    you may have just wasted your efforts big tim, and learned a hard lesson.
    good luck, follow the bees.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast